[Archive] Tamurkhan out on Gamesday UK!

Vincent Intkeys:

£65-70 For anyone who can get me a copy I will pay postage and packaging and a game off the site I work for intkeys.com email me at indyclone77@gmail.com If interested

fonejaker:

operation run as fast as you can to the forge world stand when the doors open commences in T minus 15hours

Vincent Intkeys:

I would be going myself but cant afford the fuel

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Don’t keep us in suspense! For all you folks who went to Gamesday - what’s the new book like??

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimstonefire:

A day early Grimbold :wink:

Incidently, I’ll be wearing a T shirt with “Dressed to Kill” on it in big writing.  If any of you guys spot me please say hi.

I’m not holding out much hope for getting a book, 300 copies and I’ll be able to queue from about 10:35…

I haven’t thought of that many questions to ask yet, but none of them will be about rules.

KramDratta:

I have a question: “Will GW mark the Chaos Dwarf list as official? or will it be releasing another (perhaps published in White Dwarf ala Sisters) ?”

Vincent Intkeys:

A day early Grimbold ;)

Incidently, I'll be wearing a T shirt with "Dressed to Kill" on it in big writing.  If any of you guys spot me please say hi.

I'm not holding out much hope for getting a book, 300 copies and I'll be able to queue from about 10:35...

I haven't thought of that many questions to ask yet, but none of them will be about rules.

Grimstonefire
Hey grim how much would you want to pick up an extra copy for me because I am willing to pay £65-90 for a copy

fonejaker:

il be wearing a Platoon Britannia t-shirt, dark blue jeans, a purple hair braid and black boots. I may also be wanting to make some recording to use on the next CD radio podcast, if you see me say hi for a chance to be featured !!!

Thommy H:

I have a question: "Will GW mark the Chaos Dwarf list as official? or will it be releasing another (perhaps published in White Dwarf ala Sisters) ?"

KramDratta
GW won't be doing another, competing list (that would be cannibalising their own market), nor will they acknowledge this one as "official". GW doesn't mark anything as official with the exception of new rules explicitly designed to replace obsolete ones - like the Sisters of Battle that you mentioned and the new Vampires stuff last month. Both of these were slightly unusual situations in which previously current rules were supplanted or added to, hence the big "Chapter Approved" stamps on them, to clear up any confusion.

In general though, GW are not in the business of creating tiered levels of "officialdom".

Nicodemus:

GW doesn't mark anything as official with the exception of new rules explicitly designed to replace obsolete ones
In general though, GW are not in the business of creating tiered levels of "officialdom".

Thommy H
If anything like this were to happen down the road with the Forge World Chaos Dwarfs it would certainly be precedent setting for WG and their Fantasy line. I don't know much about 40K, but I don't think any of the Forge World 40K stuff is 'official' in terms of rules. The exceptions are WF models, for which there are entries in an official GW Army book or Codex.

Despite our enthusiasm here on CDO, Chaos Dwarfs are still a small niche in the Warhammer Fantasy world. Obviously GW doesn't see it as enough of a niche to go any further than the Hellcannon, hence them being willing to let FW have a go in the Tamurkhan book, perhaps just to test the waters.  If GW were going to adopt anything as an 'official' list, they would get their hands in there and be much more involved - if not a whole new army book, then at least some significant rules changes and then models on top of that. That level of involvement from GW would be a significant financial committment on their part. They'd be looking at concepts, designs, getting new models sculpted, etc etc.  If you look at something like the Ogre Kingdom or Dark Eldar, they represents a lot of work with significant lead-time before they see a payoff from people buying models... and these were likely planned out several years ago and were relatively safe bets in terms of investing in their product lines.

I think the best we can hope for is to ride the wave of success (we presume) of the FW Chaos Dwarf stuff, and maybe in a few years GW might consider Chaos Dwarfs being an official army again, but even after such consideration we'd still be a few years away from seeing anything materialize in the form of a GW 'official' set of rules, etc.

~N

Thommy H:

Yeah, exactly. FW rules always have to be taken with a slight grain of salt, because they’re written by a different group of people and they don’t always fit into the design ethos of the main GW studio. For example, I think the Legion of Azgorh list has loads of magic items instead of the eight to ten that’s now the norm in current Armies books. I actually think the system they have - optional rules for collectors’ models - is no bad thing at all.

KramDratta:

If GW were going to adopt anything as an 'official' list, they would get their hands in there and be much more involved - if not a whole new army book, then at least some significant rules changes and then models on top of that. That level of involvement from GW would be a significant financial committment on their part. They'd be looking at concepts, designs, getting new models sculpted, etc etc.  If you look at something like the Ogre Kingdom or Dark Eldar, they represents a lot of work with significant lead-time before they see a payoff from people buying models... and these were likely planned out several years ago and were relatively safe bets in terms of investing in their product lines.

Nicodemus
I have no experience here, so I might be saying something that you guys already know. But doesn't GW technically already have concepts & designs. And it's not the first time that rules are issued for models that do not exist, yet. Wouldn't the bulk of the work already have been done by Warhammer Forge?

Admiral:

Please post some first impressions and then quick reviews of the book, those of you who’ll get your hands on it at Games Day. That’d be appreciated.

As I have discussed with some friends (who all think that CD are cool and deserve an army book of their own), the most realistic to hope for, is that the success of Warhammer Forge’s Chaos Dwarfs will result in some new Chaos Dwarf entries into the next Warriors of Chaos army book, along with some plastic and resin models. As a WoC-playing friend said, that’d be great not only for those wanting CDs, but it’d also be great playwise for him, since blunderbusses would do a lot to make his games funnier.

An army book of their own isn’t something to hold our breath for, since GW might be careful not to overstretch the amount of armies to update and maintain.

Thommy H:

I have no experience here, so I might be saying something that you guys already know. But doesn't GW technically already have concepts & designs. And it's not the first time that rules are issued for models that do not exist, yet. Wouldn't the bulk of the work already have been done by Warhammer Forge?

KramDratta
If they have any concepts floating around, they've never been leaked. I think it's likely there's been some idle design work done and maybe a few informal discussions in the studio about how they'd do Chaos Dwarfs again, but obviously there's no resource for it at the moment - other projects are just better prospects and the time hasn't ever been right.

I doubt very much that it's something they're actively working on though: letting WF do the project is tantamount to an admission of that. They wouldn't let Forge World waste a load of resources on models and rules and then release competing stuff a month later. This whole WF thing is a kind of compromise - GW knows they may never do Chaos Dwarfs again (as they have no way of guaranteeing a return on the investment - the army always sold poorly and there's no reason to suspect it would be different now, really) so they let the branch of their company that already does niche products (and makes its return with high-cost, large-scale collectors' kits) take the risk. If it pans out and the market is there, GW may supplant the WF products with a proper "official" line.

They did a similar thing with Apocalypse, actually: FW did super-heavies years ago, and GW eventually picked up the slack and did "proper" rules for them and released plastic versions of the Baneblade, Stompa, etc. FW models and units also sometimes migrate over to mainstream GW products. I think the idea of Venerable Dreadnoughts in Chapters besides the Space Wolves was FW's, for example.

Baggronor:

I think the current number of armies is basically the right number as far as GW is concerned - there’s just no reason to increase the amount; its enough that they can constantly be occupied with update cycles and new minis.

At least we’re getting a book, if not a full-on GW one, and its nice to see CDs return in Dreadfleet too.

Admiral:

Agreed with what Thommy H and Baggronor writes.

Here’s a blurry photo of the FW Taurus with a rider of it, from GD UK: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67897567@N06/6180264635/in/photostream/lightbox/

Piachu:

If some one menage to get Tamurkhan, please, make a scans of armylist only, I would be greatfull :cheers

It’s going to be boiling atmosphere today :hat off

Thommy H:

If some one menage to get Tamurkhan, please, make a scans of armylist only, I would be greatfull :cheers

Piachu
Um...no. That would be illegal. CDO doesn't host any material that violates IP laws. If it gets posted, it'll be deleted.

Vincent Intkeys:

Agreed with what Thommy H and Baggronor writes.

Here's a blurry photo of the FW Taurus with a rider of it, from GD UK: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67897567@N06/6180264635/in/photostream/lightbox/

Admiral
Looks awesome

Hashut’s Blessing:

Swift than the Cern team sending stuff to Italy (I.E. faster than the speed of light, supposedly).

If people can give us some information regarding what’s in it, than that’d be top notch!