[Archive] Thanquol and considerations on 9th edition

Skink:

I just finished reading through the Lizardmen story narrated in ET:Thanquol… Now, fist of all I need to brag a little because (so far) Lizardmen were the only “good” race who didn’t just defend themselves but also brought the fight to the enemy, single handedly mauled a Skaven clan (despite being utterly outnumbered), AND, at the same time, managed to keep a massive Daemonic incursion at bay (huzza!).

I’m not going to spoil you anything, but at the end of the Lizzies’ chapter Lustria, the Southlands, and the “eastern reaches” of the planet are gone. However, Kroak manages to eradicate pieces of jungle & the last remaining Lizardman city from the continent before casting them into space. All this made me think that:

1 ) Bits of the Warhammer World floating in space? This supports all the rumors we heard about 9th edition… Get ready to buy lotsa round bases.

2 ) The East is gone. No spoilers here but trust me, the word “cataclysm” doesn’t quite encompass what happened. Still, does this mean that the Dark Lands have been annihilated as well? Technically they are in the “east”, and we know already that there’s no mention of Chaos Dwarfs whatsoever in the Thanquol book.

3 ) Despite the fact that Lizardmen were not rumored to be part of next edition’s starting roster, the fact that GW made some of them survive gives me hope that maybe they will be featured in a future supplement (god I hope so).

4 ) At some point some Skaven warriors enter a pyramid and activate a device. They hear a distant voice that sounds elvish. It’s later revealed that the gizmo was a walkie-talkie used by the Old Ones to communicate between stars. This can mean that A ) the Old Ones are still alive or B )… Eldars? After all some people believe that Araloth saw a Space Marine whilst journeying to Nurgle’s garden in ET:Khaine.

What d’ya fine gents think? Anyone with the book to confirm the total absence of CDs? Are round bases featured?

Bloodbeard:

Eradicate. Don’t you mean evacuate Skink?

Thanks for the rundown.

The warhammer world sure get’s messed up by the End Times.

I don’t mind spoilers by the way (I won’t get the books in any near future).

If you turn the text white, people will habe to mark it in order to see it. That’s a way to spoiler protect.

tjub:

I guess we’ll have to wait and see when the next official map comes out… IF the world breaks into bits it seems reasonable that there should be some chunks of the east as well.
I really like the reconnection to the old fluff here, brings back memories. Like was Sigmar a Primarch etc? :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: …and btw about spoilers, bring 'em on! The thread name should warn people enough. If not they should learn to think first…:wink:

Skink:

Eradicate.  Don't you mean evacuate Skink?

Bloodbeard
No, no, I mean "pull up sections" of the continent and send them off to space as flying saucers. After all Kroak was the most powerful Slann wasn't him?
I don't mind spoilers by the way (I won't get the books in any near future).

Bloodbeard
spoilers, bring 'em on!

tjub
Right. Then SPOILER ALERT!

You can read about the Skaven's shenanigans in Lustria here.

What happens in the book is that despite the massive power supplied by the geomantic web, the pressure on the Slanns is too big, and they are all knocked out senseless (except Mazdamundi and Kroak). Mazdamundi feels like he's on the cusp of realizing something, and one minute before midnight he realizes that the Skavens are trying to pull Morrslieb on the planet. They want to do this to have a nearly infinite supply of warpstone, but in truth they are being tricked by the big four, because the impact would obviously cause the utter extinction of all life! Thankfully the other Slanns wake up, and despite feeling groggy they try to push the warpstone moon out of orbit. It's too late though and the Skaven activate a laser which destroys Morrslieb, making bits of it fall on the warhammer world. At this point the Slanns use the full power of the Geomantic web (depleting it :o) to counter the shower of warpstone chunks. This brings half of them to death, as their brains literally explode for using a power too big for them to handle. The other half reaches a teleportation device to forever leave Lizardmen & the Warhammer world to their fate, in order to "return back to the stars" (another clue that makes me think that the Old Ones are still alive)... Mazdamundi in the meantime dies of overexertion (noooooooooo!). Finally, Lord Kroak uses its powers to shield the Old World from tsunamis & meteorites, and to send bits of Lustria into space.

The chapter ends with Lustria sinking in the ocean and with the Southlands & the Eastern reaches of the planet being bombarded by warpstone meteorites as big as countries.

Now, 65.000.000 years ago something similar happened to Earth, and we all know that it didn't work out smoothly for the dinosaurs x.x. So... Have we just been squatted? I have the feeling that Zharr Naggrund was right under the trajectory of one of those Chaos Moon bits.

Bloodbeard:

As long as they don’t write “and then the Chaos Dwarfs all died” we’re good.

Zharr-Naggrund looks like a giant rocket, Hashut hurls us into space in a protective bubble, but we no longer have any k’daai or God.

Or

Some of us made it into the Old World to help Archon smash everything to bits!

Skink:

As long as they don't write "and then the Chaos Dwarfs all died" we're good.

Zharr-Naggrund looks like a giant rocket

Bloodbeard
Evil dwarfs roaming the stars in a giant rocket spaceship :o? Oh yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QfSzgV1q5g

EDIT: I read the summary again, and it's not clear which parts of the East have been erased from the map. This is because Lord Kroak used his powers to amortize the cataclysm... Still, I don't think that the Hobgoblins of the steppes survived.

BABIS:

I just finished reading through the Lizardmen story narrated in ET:Thanquol... Now, fist of all I need to brag a little bit because (so far) Lizardmen were the only "good" race who didn't just defend themselves but also brought the fight to the enemy, single handedly mauled a Skaven clan (despite being utterly outnumbered), AND, at the same time, managed to keep a massive Daemonic incursion at bay (huzza!).

I'm not going to spoil you anything, but at the end of the Lizzies' chapter Lustria, the Southlands, and the "eastern reaches" of the planet are gone. However, Mazdamundi manages to eradicate pieces of jungle & the last remaining Lizardman city from the continent before casting them into space. All this made me think that:

1 ) Bits of the Warhammer World floating in space? This supports all the rumors we heard about 9th edition... Get ready to buy lotsa round bases.

2 ) The East is gone. No spoilers here but trust me, the word "cataclysm" doesn't quite encompass what happened. Still, does this mean that the Dark Lands have been annihilated as well? Technically they are in the "east", and we know already that there's no mention of Chaos Dwarfs whatsoever in the Thanquol book.

3 ) Despite the fact that Lizardmen were not rumored to be part of next edition's starting roster, the fact that GW made some of them survive gives me hope that maybe they will be featured in a future supplement (god I hope so).

4 ) At some point some Skaven warriors enter a pyramid and activate a device. They hear a distant voice that sounds elvish. It's later revealed that the gizmo was an Old One walkie-talkie used to communicate between stars. This can mean that A ) the Old Ones are still alive or B )... Eldars? After all some people believe that Araloth saw a Space Marine whilst journeying to Nurgle's garden in ET:Khaine.

What d'ya fine gents think? Anyone with the book to confirm the total absence of CDs? Are round bases featured?

Skink
I already know (more or less) the background in the Thanquol book and let's say... welcome to Bubblehammer :D  
even if I don't know how the other races will be bubbled since the Slanns are gone (dead or in spaceships)
I am a bit sorry for Mazdamundi and Kroak...

I recently saw a map (from the book or from WD) in which you can see the orcs ang ogres migrations and they are pretty close to the dark lands so I don't think that area is totally devasted.. or at least I hope so ;)

I guess you will meet again the Lizardmen in WH40K  :D

pretty funny the story about the E.T. eldar phone call... and Draigo in the gardens of nurgle is already a legend ;)

before the bubblehammers rumors took place I've read some interesting conjectures about the cyclicality of the wh world.. they are based upon the charcter of Araloth (introduced in this edition) who seems to be a sort of lost son of Malekith, and the relationship with Lileath who says in the end of the book that chaos cannot be defeated and Araloth have to save their child in a new world far from chaos... Previously Araloth had a vision of Asuryan who take off his mask only to reveal Araloth face... so it seems that Araloth is the avatar of Asuryan.. and sounded possible that they could have created a new world far from the chaos scars..
in the Malekith background there is a piece of story where he found a sort of hidden magical room isolated from chaos powers in which he found 8 skeletons and here is where he obtains his crown.. it sounded possible that the 8 were the avatars of the magic lores from a previous era (malekith is indeed the avatar of Shadows)..
food for thoughts ;)

Malorndk:

Great stuff! I fucking love the crazyness of the End Times <3 xD

Vex:

Chaos Dwarfs AND Lizardmen (my 2 armies) just got squatted?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

Skink:

We can’t say anything about Chaos Dwarfs until the End Times is over and (if) Forgeworld releases an updated version of the Legion of Azgorh for 9th edition.

Regarding Lizzies they survived. ET:Thanquol doesn’t say which part of Lustria was flinged into space, or who was saved (although Kroq-Gar is heavily hinted at), but the remains of Lizardman culture are now effectively orbiting around the planet. Unfortunaly rumors don’t give Lizardmen as a playable faction for the upcoming reboot, but the fact that they are still alive makes me hope for a future supplement. Boy I really start to feel like returning back to my scaly origins after almost a decade painting twirly beards and fiery cows.

Time of Madness:

MOD HAT ON (just briefly)

Folks, I realize everyone is excited/worried, but please try to avoid offensive words/language.

Alright, lets continue discussing the possibilites of floating bubbles of evil and round bases :frowning: I haven’t had a chance to read the new book yet, but I am looking forward to it (reading the book - not floating bubbles/round bases).

Time of Madness

Admiral:

I’ll view it all as an interesting prophecy or alternative future of the Warhammer world, and not give a darn if any nation/race (army-booked or not, I like the mystic “orient” of WHFB in particular) disappears. I prefer the one-minute-to-midnight vanilla WHFB world anyway since it is richer, but the End Times stuff sure is exciting.

Vex:

I don’t understand why GW would want to axe Lizzies, they got some cool new stuff not too long ago.

As for round bases I call BS until I see pics. I’m hoping that it isn’t true but if it is I’ll stick to 8th edition.

Dînadan:

As for round bases I call BS until I see pics. I'm hoping that it isn't true but if it is I'll stick to 8th edition.

Vex
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=205550&d=1420838191

Vex:

As for round bases I call BS until I see pics. I'm hoping that it isn't true but if it is I'll stick to 8th edition.

Vex

Dînadan
Well....

Guess I'm sticking with 8th....

tjub:

Vex

Dînadan
Well....

Guess I'm sticking with 8th....

Vex
We have some stuff on round bases ATM so lets not throw up our hands just yet... ;)

As for the CDs Im sure some northern or western keep/outpost have survived. They can't remove all of the dark lands without removing the world edge mountains and parts of Khemri as well...

Skink:

As for the CDs Im sure some northern or western keep/outpost have survived. They can't remove all of the dark lands without removing the world edge mountains and parts of Khemri as well...

tjub
Well, actually they can! I mean, we have a whole warpstone satellite crushing on the planet! As a matter of fact, the only reason why the Old world endured the cataclysm is that Lord Kroak used his powers to shield it... As for Khemri, Nagash made it back to Sylvania just in time. He parked his pyramid in there, absorbed the wind of Shyish off the ground (now he's the incarnate of Death), and brought the legions of the Tomb Kings with him.

So, Ulthuan sank, Lustria sank, Naggaroth is abandoned. The Southlands (and supposedly Khemri + Araby) burned. The East burned (Noooo! The Hobgobla Khanate!!!)... And we already know since book one that the Dark Lands were being pummeled by meteorites... It doesn't bode well for us I'm telling ya... Forgeworld!!! COME TO THE RESCUE!!!

tjub:

tjub
Well, actually they can! I mean, we have a whole warpstone satellite crushing on the planet! As a matter of fact, the only reason why the Old world endured the cataclysm is that Lord Kroak used his powers to shield it... As for Khemri, Nagash made it back to Sylvania just in time. He parked his pyramid in there, absorbed the wind of Shyish off the ground (now he's the incarnate of Death), and brought the legions of the Tomb Kings with him.

So, Ulthuan sank, Lustria sank, Naggaroth is abandoned. The Southlands (and supposedly Khemri + Araby) burned. The East burned (Noooo! The Hobgobla Khanate!!!)... And we already know since book one that the Dark Lands were being pummeled by meteorites... It doesn't bode well for us I'm telling ya... Forgeworld!!! COME TO THE RESCUE!!!

Skink
Nuclear winter, everybody but some Yetis die... THE END.

BABIS:

imho one of the most interesting thing in the Thanquol book is that they say there is a portion in the Realm of Chaos ruled by the Verminlords in which they have a Council of Thirteen like the “material” world…

Skink:

Nuclear winter, everybody but some Yetis die... THE END.

tjub
Yetihammer! Here, get some slaves for the morning laugh :)