[Archive] The 2012 Brush Slave League - Rules (Historic)

clam:

Some might have seen our discussions here: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10016&page=1 about the future of the Unofficial CDO Painting Challenge.

So, I have decided to try see if there is enough support here @CDO for running a “Painting League”.

EDIT 05 Jan 2012

The Rules are now final - though we are not set on the number of rounds/themed rounds (depending on the number of participants).

It has be hard making a set of rules pleasing us all, but here is a few of my viewpoints, why they are like they are.

1) I want to see new stuff each month

2) I want to fav those people that enters on a regular basis

3) I want to give it a smell of a competition, so the competetive minds at CDO can keep their motivation.

4) Won’t allow that a single extremly well-painted entry takes it all. Even the greatest painter shall contribute and perform during the season.

EDIT 01 Mar 2012

Not quite. After round 1 I had to do a few changes:

1) BSL will be open for all to join during the hole season - so if some one should like to join late on - well, let os know in the “open round thread” that you wish to enter. That way I can get an idea of how many entries to expect.

2) I have removed “the even number” clause. If we, in a round, have an uneven numer - a 3 opponent match will be randomly arranged.

3) As announced earlier - we’ll have a 8th round

4) Tried to make it a bit more clear what a team is - by adding the “humanoid” criteria and something about War Machines - but if in doubt, please ask.

5) Made the “how to enter” a bit more clear and added the email option - please try to conform to these guidelines

6) With the email option and use of rather stricked picture hosting sites, I’ve found it necessary to “host” all your entries in a private album at my Photobucket-account. You have to feel happy about that. I can erase them after the pools, but as that will ruin “the gallery” and the historical interest, I’ll strongly discouraged you from asking me to do so.

7) Match up’s and points have been edit to reflect the 3 opponent match up’s and the later sign up’s

8) Round 5 and 8 will now be themed rounds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T H E O F F I C I A L 2 0 1 2 B R U S H S L A V E L E A G U E - R U L E S

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Participants

All members of CDO are free to sign up for the league.

Should anyone like to enter after round one, we�?Tll be open for that. Just make a post in the newest open round thread, that you wish to join.

But only take part if you are comfortable with the following rules:

Duration

The league will run for 8 rounds on a monthly basis. The League opens at 1st of January 2012. First round will be held on 1st of March 2012. Additional rounds are planned for April, May, June, July, September, October and November.

Entries

Participants will enter pictures of their �?~teams�?T.

A “team” consists of at least 3 painted humanoid figures (incl. dreadnoughts, Iron golems, War jacks, Cyborgs, Robots etc), but more can be included if you wish.

War machines (in a broad sense)can be included in the team, but don�?Tt count towards the required minimum number of team members.

The �?~team�?T must follow a single, distinct theme. So you can�?Tt do a Skaven ratman joined by a Space Marine and Alexander the Great.

All figures should look like appropriated gaming miniatures - but can be of any common miniature scale, genre, manufacturer etc.

Your entry should be presented in �?~group shot�?T of the team.

Use of a scenic setting is allowed but NOT required �?" it�?Ts the figures that count.

All miniatures have to be newly painted �?" or at least not shown on-line before (on the internet).

How to enter

All entries must be:

- sent as a Personal Message (PM) to �?oclam�?� with an URL that links to your entry

or

- sent to me as an email (brushslaveleague (a t) g m a i l dot c o m) with an URL that links to your entry or have your entry (pictures) attached.

Your entry must meet a previously specified deadline - namely 11:59 pm (GMT) the day before the round starts.

Your entry message shall also include a team name/a team title. What name is up to you �?" but could be a name that supports your “team�?Ts theme”.

Each entry should consist of �?" up till two images - not exceeding 800x800 pixels per picture. All competitors must resize their own images before submitting them. This means they can be uploaded straight into the competition pages without any work in photoshop by me. Your images can be smaller than this if you like - but not bigger. If you don�?Tt know how to resize images, please ask someone before the competition gets underway.

By entering you accept that your copyrighted pictures will be hosted on a shared - but private - Brush Slave album at a free picture hosting site (My Photobucket account)

Painting

All figures must be completely painted, and all bases must be finished. ONLY pictures of finished models are accepted, �?~work in progress�?T (WIP) shots are NOT allowed.

I won�?Tt make rules for what�?Ts �?opainted�?� and what�?Ts not (3 colours etc.), as we all know what a painted miniature looks like. If in doubt, paint it some more

Scale

There are no scale restrictions - but the figure should look like a gaming miniature and the scale should be consistent within the team. Not that you can�?Tt do an Ogre and a halfling on the same team, though.

League Points Table

We�?Tll keep it all open and run a public League Table, of course. End of round 8 we’ll have an overall winner. In case of a tie, the participant with most new teams wins. Still a tie we’ll roll a d6.

Will also figure out something about a prize (worth £20-ish), but more about that later one.

Match ups

In each round, a number of matches will be held. In each match, two pre-determined participants (randomly) will face each other. The winner will being determined by public vote in a Poll. Duration of voting will be 10 days)

The match up will be random, but I’ll make a system so you’ll only face the same opponent one time in the season

Should we have an un-even number of participants in a round �?" a single match will see 3 opponents facing each other.

There are three ways of earning points for the Brush Slave League:

1. Points for winning, drawing or losing a match

2. New team bonus points

3. Theme round bonus point

1. Points for winning, drawing or losing a match

If the difference between overall votes cast for either competitor is less than 3, the match is considered a draw and both/all three participants receive 1 point. A draw between two participants in a 3 opponent match will �?" if shared 1st - be rewarded with 1½ points, and if shared 2nd - 1 point.

If the difference between votes is 3 or more, the �?owinner�?� will be rewarded with 1½ points and the opponent will receives half a point. In a 3 opponent match it will be 1½ points for winning, 1 point for coming 2nd and half a point for 3th.

It�?Ts not a knock-out system, so losing a round will NOT mean you have to leave the league, just a drop in the league table

2. New Team Bonus

You do NOT have to enter a new team in each round after entering the league, but you are ENCOURAGED to do so.

You may compete the entire season with your first entry �?" but you will be rewarded 3 points for every round in which you enter a newly painted team.

In your first round no bonus points will be earned for entering a new team (because everyone will have to enter a new team at the start of the League).

But after your first team, bonus points will be awarded for every new teams.

It�?Ts perfectly acceptable to use one team for the whole season, although that�?Ts not really in the spirit of the league. We want to see newly painted miniatures and want you to lower that lead pile, of yours.

You may do touch ups on/re-paint an already painted team and may also enter new photos - but it will not be considered “a new team” and not make you qualify for “the new team bonus”.

3. Theme Rounds Bonuses

Round 5 and 8 will be �?~theme bonus rounds�?T, in which participants may enter a new team that follows a pre-determined theme. If the team meets the theme, you will be awarded 2 bonus points (+ the bonus of a entering a new team) �?" 5 possible bonus points in total. If the themed bonus round is your first round, you�?Tll only be rewarded for �?omeeting the theme�?� (2 points), of course.

Withdrawals

Once you’ve entered a team and the competition is running, withdrawal from the league part-way through is not permitted. If you decide you no longer want to take an active part (by entering new teams, for instance), that’s entirely your decision. But your most recently entered team will still carry on being matched in any remaining rounds of the league. Alternatively, you can nominate one of your earlier teams to see out the rest of the competition.

Signing up

Before you sign up, you have to feel happy about the rules, of course.

But also think a bit about your involvement in this. As you can see there isn’t really much engagement needed, but if all people that signs up, only do their 3 men starter team, it will get pretty boring in september :frowning:

We all have busy lifes and no one knows where we are in 8-10 months from now, but like said it totally acceptable not entering new teams, but if you know - from the very start - that you won’t get much more else done, please be open about. Ideally, we’ll have an avarage of 3-4 new teams each participant, but if that’s too ambitious, we should maybe only do about 5 rounds (or so).

Officially we starts on the 1st of January. If more than 8 have signed up by then, I think we can continue the proces, but I see no reason for closing the sign up proces until March 2012 or so.

And please remember the “first come, first served” rule as we need an even number. Signing up will be an open process, so please make a post in here if interested.

Signed up are:

1. clam

2. furrie

3. G.2

4. Borador

5. Blue in VT

6. Zanko

7. Lord Aldades

8. Hazkar

9. warh

10. Unzul

11. theforgefather

12. bas_2312 (Round 2)

13. Bolg

14. ryanamandaanna

15. DAGabriel

16. brother_cov (MIA)

17. Burske

18. Obsidian Muse

19. Uncle Fool

20. Grim_beard (MIA)

21. Mostyn (Round 2)

22. Dervish Helldance (Round 2)

23. frostbit3 (MIA)

24. Insidious (Round 3)

25. terranraida (Round 4)

26. Niblebitzer (Round 4)

clam:

Surprise, I’m on :wink:

- and have already made great plans for 7 new teams :smiley:

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention, that I can’t - for obvious reasons - win the league, but will try to give you all a good fight.

furrie:

I’ll join. If you need help with a program to help jou with the scores and figure out the match up, I could make something for it.

clam:

Welcome, furrie. And added to the list :slight_smile:

Depending on the number’s of participants, I might need some help. So if you could do something, it would be cool.

Have an idea about being very open about the match ups, so people know - who they will face (in good time) so the can “tune up” their team :slight_smile:

And should anyone graphic-skilled- people be up to it, it could be nice to have a little logo we could use for the league - and people could add to their sig (if wanted) :wink:

G.2:

I’m in.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Borador:

I’m in! Don’t know how much I can get done but at least I’ll paint my CDs this way :wink:

Blue in VT:

You know I’m in! I’ll bust through that lead pile somehow!

Blue

clam:

Now it actually starts to look like something, thanks guys.

@Borador

That’s exactly the idea behind the league format. Giving you (people) the freedom to do what ever they like. The fixed themes could be a burden, if they didn’t match what you were currently working on.

And I actually though of making the themed round about dwarves - after all we shouldn’t forget who’s forum we are using. But I am open for other ideas, so feel free to suggest a theme for that round.

Zanko:

Surely I’m in! :cheers

… and I think you knew it! :wink:

:hashut

Borador:

Hehe I´ve got enough spares to convert a few dwarfs to a certain theme though, so a themed round is just a lil’ more challenging.

Man, I’m stoked to get started!

Lord Aldades:

Put me up

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

clam:

Zanko and Lord Aldades added to the list. welcome aboard.

5 more people - and I think we can officially start the 2012 BS League. So start dig out the first 3 miniatures and get those brushes of yours ready :slight_smile:

No one questions the rules? 3 miniatures per team is okay? And what about the voting/poll. Would 10 days be enough to make a final conclusion? Like said it’s a draft, and feel free to comment.

furrie:

Zanko and Lord Aldades added to the list. welcome aboard.

5 more people - and I think we can officially start the 2012 BS League. So start dig out the first 3 miniatures and get those brushes of yours ready :)

No one questions the rules? 3 miniatures per team is okay? And what about the voting/poll. Would 10 days be enough to make a final conclusion? Like said it's a draft, and feel free to comment.

clam
Its probably something we can best tell after the first round, but so far it looks good on paper.

Zanko:

5 more people - and I think we can officially start the 2012 BS League. So start dig out the first 3 miniatures and get those brushes of yours ready :)

No one questions the rules? 3 miniatures per team is okay? And what about the voting/poll. Would 10 days be enough to make a final conclusion? Like said it's a draft, and feel free to comment.

clam
Its probably something we can best tell after the first round, but so far it looks good on paper.

furrie
I agree! In the moment I have no questions but that might change during the first round!

clam:

Lets take them as they come :slight_smile:

And your are welcome to PM me if preferred, of course.

Another question - is 1st of March to late, too soon or just right? If we have about 10 at December 31th, we could aim at 1st of February!

Zanko:

Imo the later one fits better cause there are 6 birthdays (family and friends) in January! :o

Borador:

March or february are both good for me. Might have to miss out on the april one though. Final exams are starting early May :wink:

Hazkar:

Count me in.

Just a little questions:

all teams have to Be themed,so has it to Be an obvious theme,like entering 3SpaceMarines,or can it also be some kind of special,like entering a dwarf,a Lamassu and a SantaClaus mini,cause my theme is “Beards”?

clam:

Welcome, Hazkar.

Yes the miniatures has to follow a “distinct theme”. Theme is more or less your choise, but it’s you task to make it look plausible that the 3+ miniatures go together. Theme can be rather obvious - like if you paint 3+ miniature of the same race, but certainly not a rule. So theme can be less obvious, and if you feel it might not be clear to all, then your are welcome to name/title your team, so a theme might be more clear to us :slight_smile: (think I’ll add the naming/titling to the rules)

warh:

so much rules, i’ll just enter a new team every round :stuck_out_tongue:

sign me up