[Archive] The french connection

dromar:

Hy everyone.

You might not know that we, the frogys on “warhammer forum”, have developped a V8 style chaos dwarf codex, using all the background and rules from ravening hordes, without any personnal creation.

The goal is to present an army book which looks like a real one, V8 style and that can be use in tournaments.

http://forum.warhammer-forum.com/index.php?showtopic=159072&pid=1884672&st=100&#entry1884672

Here is the link to the subject.

Refer to Thindariel and belgarath for details.

The book is already half-produced, a pdf will be posted soon today.

x.x

Thommy H:

We tried to do this. Didn’t go so well…

Tarrakk Blackhand:

From a legal point Thommy?

Thommy H:

No, from a “we can’t decide how to do this so let’s all have a big argument over some silly little fluff detail” point.

cornixt:

The legal issues that came shortly afterwards would have killed it off anyway. GW have taken a more pragmatic approach to fan stuff since then though, so it might be okay now in that they won’t agressively threaten legal action.

dromar:

You don’t get it:
Our goal is to propose a document that could be officially used in tournament so:
-No fanmade fluff
-No homerules
-Only GW publications
-A V8 style presentation, just like the new O&G codex.
-A kind of upgraded V3 CD codex usable in V8.

WIP

Thommy H:

Yes, that’s what we were doing too. I’m not saying yours won’t work, I’m just mentioning, anecdotally, that we tried doing it too.

cornixt:

That was the problem. I took the GW rules and made them into a nice-looking army list. GW complained due to copyright of taking their stuff and not really changing it. At this stage, I think it could probably be done without so much issue. 8th edition is different enough that the RH list isn’t enough, which is why we made the errata. You can’t just reprint the official fluff though, you’d have to rewrite it.

nitroglysarine:

.... You can't just reprint the official fluff though, you'd have to rewrite it.

cornixt
Tell me if i'm being stupid (it happens often enough) but are you allowed to quote it? If you give acknowledgement to its source its okay, jsut don't try and sell it.....right?

Thommy H:

No, you can’t just repeat it verbatim - same way you can’t scan (or photocopy, photograph, or trace) original artwork and post it online. Someone got paid to write those words; you can paraphrase and quote snippets, but just using whole blocks of the text isn’t exactly fair.

nitroglysarine:

I did mean snippets. Say if an old Ed book said a war occurred between dwarves and CD’s in 330 BS (Before Sigmar) then you quote that a fictional fact and you’d be okay as long as you quote the source - right?

Or are facts of CD history as told by them also protected?

Also just changing a few basic details of a text is surely a no-no. You can’t just switch a word and say its not technically ‘verbatim’ so not a copy write violation right? That wouldn’t be the spirit of the law.

Thommy H:

Yes, you can use the information. It would be a bit crazy otherwise.

nitroglysarine:

Yes, you can use the information. It would be a bit crazy otherwise.

Thommy H
Cool, otherwise yeah as you said it would be a bit crazy.
So facts are fine, literature copying isn't.

dromar:

Work in progress, just put an eye on it!

http://www.mediafire.com/?8bjyybe76ych0

richard barby:

on the subject of legal stuff has cdo ever been asked to take things down by gw ?

cornixt:

Yes

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

cornixt:

I’ve looked at the book, and it seems to be much more 4th edition style than 8th edition. Will the actual army list be added somewhere?

Thommy H:

Well, it’s certainly in the 8th Edition format - believe me, those splash pages are etched into my mind forever - but it looks like it’s all the same content from the 4th Edition book, which I guess is the idea. This is all very, very copyright-infingmenty though. I mean, all the artwork is GW stuff, I’m guessing it’s all the same words. That’s all fine, as long as you realise it limits your audience a little bit.

dromar:

Yeah the goal is to realise a 100% GW content book which combine background, army list, illustrations + faq V8 so that everyone could use it in official game events.

WIP but you can have a look on the work which as be done so far.

New cover in the last post of the subject too.

Thommy H:

Official game events? Like in GW stores and tournaments? Because I don’t think I’d want to show up there with something that flauts copyright so thoroughly!