[Archive] The Path to Glory - Baggronor's casting blog

Baggronor:

After much debate and tea-drinking, my mate and I decided to try and cast some figures of our own out of lead. So, I went and got an old CD green that I never finished, bunged him into a rubber mould, melted down an awful figure from the 80s that deserved a far worse fate, and poured the resulting hot lead into the hole the  CD left. The consequences of which are shown below. Obviously he is missing parts as I never completed him, but the finish on him isn’t bad. The giant plume on his head is from the channel in the mould btw, its not a crazy hat. I was going to cut it off but he looks kinda cool.

So, after this rare bout of success, the casting project has the green light. First Dwarf infantryman WIP shown below.

There are possibilities of selling these, as they will be pretty different to GW Chaos Dwarfs, so we’ll see how it all goes.

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Looking quite good for a first try! Crisp details and edges, a great start indeed.

Grimstonefire:

Could you take some more pics, and bigger ones?

Kera foehunter:

great job on your first guy Baggronor

Ghrask Dragh:

Great start, will be keeping an eye on this! :cheers

minty:

it’s nice, but could I suggest casting in resin, it;s far cheaper than lead, unless you have ore aincient models to destroy…

Baggronor:

it's nice, but could I suggest casting in resin, it;s far cheaper than lead, unless you have ore aincient models to destroy...
Between my mate and I, we have several hundred lead abominations that currently await rebirth :) We have approximately 35 years of Warhammer experience between us, and more armies than is healthy.

After that, we'll have to see, although resin sounds intriguing, I'll have to look into that.

Will be posting more pics as I go, its mainly to motivate me, as I'm lazy :)

Starting off with some basic infantry, dwarfs are nice and easy to cast as they are basically a blob shape. If this goes well, I'll have a nice new unit of Hw/shield Warriors/Iron Breakers in no time :)

Viskar Zhragoth:

Baggronor…

Prince August sells metal for casting. You can find it here:http://www.princeaugust.ie/metal/. with the new metal, there would be a lot less impurities in the metal.

Also, Here is a list of metal suppliers in the US. http://www.thomasnet.com/products/alloys-white-metal-1240605-1.html

And here is one that includes some UK suppliers. Commodities and Futures Trading

I think you’ll find out that it works much better with the full amount. and yes it might be a little money, but they’ll cast with more detail and have less problems.

Then you can take all of those (worthless, ready to melt down minis) and donate them to a club, or a group of young kids…or ebay them off and buy metal with the proceeds if you really don;t want them

Just a thought

But it looks good so far! can wait to see the finished sculpt. And as always, tahnks so much for the covers to WoH! They look awesome!

slev:

Better than resin is dental plaster, believe it or not. It’ easier to cast, doesn’t degrade the molds and is nigh on unbreakable.

Baggronor:

Prince August sells metal for casting. You can find it herettp://www.princeaugust.ie/metal/. with the new metal, there would be a lot less impurities in the metal.
Yeah, I have metal which I bought from Tiranti, a UK company (I'm UK-based). The recycling old minis idea was mainly to keep costs down until we got the hang of it, but I'll see how viable it is. Plus we do have A LOT of awful minis.... those old Dark Elf spearmen are gonna get it....

Dental plaster also sounds interesting.... I may have to look into this too....

Obsidian:

Never heard of the dental plaster. Link anyone?

Curious with what you’ll make Bagronor, I’ll keep an eye out for this thread! :cheers

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I have used the Prince August alloy for many years. This is a very nice casting material. There have to be some 200+ prussian grenadiers somewhere that I made with it…

slev:

Never heard of the dental plaster. Link anyone?

Obsidian
http://hirstarts.yuku.com/topic/365/t/Where-to-find-plaster-resin-and-other-casting-products.html

Obsidian:

Thanks for the link Slev! :cheers

I’m going to cast some figures soon and was looking for for something else than resin as it’s a bit breakable.

Canix:

That casting is cool cant wait to see the finished minis .Dental plaster sounds like an interesting option for casting i will have to investigate now:hat

Arakagaan Calasson:

I’m considering trying some casting when I have the time…

Baggronor:

Heavy Infantry basic chassis. Just need to finish off his shield (yes its based on a 5 pence piece, proper-sized shield!:)) and do a few extra bits.

Next Step: To the furnace!! :hashut

Merchant:

Wow cool - but I have one question… is it armour all over his beard???

Baggronor:

He has armour over his beard, yes. I figure curly beards will be dodgy copyright territory if I do sell these at some point. He will probably have a braided beard, some of which will be visible out the side of the beard armour.

Kera foehunter:

love the helmets!!great job on the ammor

this is going to be a cool army