[Archive] The Snowman's Blog [28/02 update] (weekend over)

Kera foehunter:

Well thanks for sharing the update Snowman!!

can’t wait to see your B.B Team !!

The Snowman:

I have entered my CDs in a tournament coming up on the 23rd-25th of January… 10 days away… this army will be painted by then… made a good start today. I am leaving all the basing until last. I have finished my hobgoblins with bows. That is 20 down out of 123 models in the army. The bull centaurs will probably be the last thing I do as I need to finish sculpting armour on them (this time with plasticard). Keeping things pretty simple so far, classic colours (bronze helm and armour, red trim, cream sleeves). I may even enter Golden Hat this time around, I WILL make the deadline. Pics up in the next 24hrs though I am batch painting so they will all come together in a week or so (hopefully sooner).

The list

Chaos Dwarf Lord

General; Shield

Black Hammer of Hashut

Armour of the Furnace

Great Taurus

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lvl 2

Dispel Scroll

Dispel Scroll

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lvl 2

Staff of Sorcery

m3lvin:

Really nice army! cant belive I haven’t seen it before.

Your very good at coming up with cool ideas, great imagination,

the converisons in your army are brilliant! :hat off

well be very cool to see it painted.

It’s good to push oneself for a deadline if you want to get things done,

just be careful not to rush things too much, then you might not be happy with the end result, and that’s what most important.

I felt I’ve been rushing some models earlier, and its just a pity when we’ve spent so much time converting them.

hope you’ll enter the next GH, the rumors says the theme will be “sorcerer on foot”, and yours is awesome!

and about the beards, I usually want them pretty dark, so I never go lighter then codex gray.

In some cases I use may use fortress grey but then very little, being very soft with the brush.

I saw your Necromancer in the beginning of you tread, and If you use the same shades as on his robe, you’ll do great.

If the beards still turns out to bright, use a badab black wash.

looking forward for more,

:cheers

/melv

Thorne:

As M3lvin said really nice army! cant belive I haven’t seen it before. Snowman yours looks like Tjubs force that forgot the big hats no disrespect intended to either Tjub or yourself they very inspiring. Maybe I do my next CD force mask only.

The Snowman:

Thanks for the comments. As a reward I have some photos of the finished hobgobs with bows (BfSP).

A few other pics to keep interest up. While discussing when I was going to leave for the tournament with my wife I realised that I only have ONE WEEK to get these done. 7 days to go!

A group shot on my painting area.

Some messy warriors… only some paint on at the moment… because of batch painting all models bar the Bull Centaurs have at least some paint on them.

A half finished warrior test piece… the front is not worth seeing yet.

Thorne:

Some messy warriors... only some paint on at the moment.. because of batch painting all models bar the Bull Centaurs have at least some paint on them.

The Snowman
Darn I wish I could get that messy ;) Nice work snowman !

The Snowman:

Finished some warmachines… and continuing the assembly line of warriors and BB, doing all the horns on the helms at the moment. I know the lighting is not good in the pics. I will get outdoor pics when they are complete (based).

WiP table shot

Boltthrower 1

Boltthrower 2

Boltthrower 3

Thanks for the suggestions too m3lvin. I will give the grey a go and see how it turns out.

Thorne… messy refers to the fact that the paint is definately not in the lines…but will be covered up nicely by the next layer. I will have to redo some of the beards black as some of the beards are multicoloured at the moment… and no, it is not a good look for a Chaos Dwarf.

Back to the table… got about an hour or two before packing up for the night.

Zanko:

Great stuff! :cheers

I like especially your Hobbos and the 1st Boltthrower! The colour scheme of them is ace! :hat off

I’m eager to see your CDs painted! Hurry up! :wink:

:hashut

RoguePanda:

I’ve just been through the thread from the start, and I love what I see! I can’t wait to see more - I love the bolt thrower conversions, but the hellcannon you did took my breath away.

Kera foehunter:

thanks for the update there snowman !!love the massing of the warriors !

ps welcome back

The Snowman:

Thanks Zanko, Rogue and Kera.

Rogue… I’ll post the finished Earthshaker up in just a few hours. It is done…just have the crew to finish. But I am going out for dinner.

Seeing it all come together on the table is awesome…

BTW… played a dragon with unkillable lord + hydra + ring Dark Elf army yesterday and lost by 1500 pts… hoping to win 2 games out of 8 at the tourney this weekend. Any more than that I will be very pleased.

The Snowman:

Ok… more pics.

This time the Earthshaker.

I tried a few things that I had never tried before and am more than happy with the way it turned out.

The skulls on the cannon are how I am thinking of doing the taurus and I think that will look sweet.

The goggles on one of the crew was my first attempt at the “gem” technique. I’m happy with it. I have 34 Blunderbuss that will require the same treatment. Do you think green is ok for them or should I try blue?

I have not done the beards yet. I will wait to practice on some rank and file before potentially stuffing it up on the crew.

On to the pics…

Back to work on the warriors.

PS don’t expect to see any of my sorcerers in the blog until later this year.

m3lvin:

Really nice hellcannon!!

I like how you’ve painted the skulls, very effectful. :cheers

So no sorcerer yet, I wonder why… hur hur :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m really looking forward to see it painted, it’s awesome.

hope you dont have to rush it, although.

how many days is there left before you have to be done?

/melv

The Snowman:

3 full painting days to go!

Just did some of the Taurus… don’t like it at all. I will leave it now until last, I think I know how to fix it.

Tomorrow morning I will have to complete the armour on the Bull centaurs so I can undercoat them tomorrow afternoon.

Bolg:

Wow you work fast! Damn (:

I didnt see this Blog before so it was a bit much to take in. love your versions of the Bullcentaurs, totally different from anything ive seen so far but very cool.

Like your army list, never thought of making the BC hero a BSB cost the same as a Warbanner and has the same effect to, and you can even combine the 2!

m3lvin:

3 days? hope you’ll finish in time!

If you need any advice regarding sculpting or painting just ask,

I’m glad to help, deadlines can be a pain in the a** some times. x.x

I’ll keep an eye on you :cheers¨

/melv

Loki:

Great work on everything cant belive i have missed seeing the awesome army untill now

The Snowman:

Finished a few things today… both Sorcerers and the Lord… No pictures.

The Taurus will have to wait. Blunderbuss units are now only awaiting the goggles to be done.

I completed the armour plates on the Bull Centaurs (including the Hero), just waiting for green stuff to cure and they are ready for undercoating tomorrow.

All 48 warriors only have some highlighting and metallics to do before a wash.

There is only one day left for me to get them all organised. I have a feeling that Mrs the Snowman has some shopping planned for tomorrow so hobby time will be limited as I take her out.

I will take some basing paint with me to the tourney if I don’t get it done… I may be painting into the night before playing.

m3lvin:

that’s the spirit, everything to get done in time!!!

I’m wishing you all luck, both with the painting and the shopping :cheers

If you wont have time to update before going off to the tournament,

I wish you luck there aswell. Show those inferior races that the dawi zharr is a force to be reckoned with! :hashut

be shure to bring back some fresh slaves aswell :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

looking forward to many pics!!

/melv

The Snowman:

I have completed 48 warriors…and have pictures to show.

After dinner I’ll get on to finish the Blunderbusses, just the goggles to do on them.

I also have some undercoated bull centaurs to start, this is my last night on them. Not too sure if I will get around to bases. I have a lot of packing and organising to do for the trip tomorrow. More pictures as the night unfolds.