[Archive] The Warhammer Forge fluff, and the CD part in it

Grimstonefire:

OK, first things first, we don’t have spoiler tags here, and seeing as this is going to be an important part of all the future fluff I guess people will just have to read it.

I’ve been reading various comments about what the warhammer forge (or more accurately what Rick Priestley) have planned for their books.

They are planning to release apprx 10 books, maybe 2 per year (so roughly 6 months apart), that are set in a very special alternative time period…

Here would be where the spoilers start. :wink:

The books will be set in the final battles for the warhammer world! :o  That’s right, the End Times. The current emperor (whoever it is) is dead, and most of the elector counts have been killed already.

The books will include at least one dedicated to each of the 4 chaos gods, some (like the first one) will be split over 2 books.  

Each chaos god has a named set of characters leading it, the 4 armies led by 4 brothers.  The first one is a Nurgle character that takes the shape of whatever he kills (he looks to be an ogre in this one).

The books will detail the path that each army takes around the warhammer world; north, south, east and west.  All will ultimately end up in the empire.

So that is the basic bit explained.  The chaos dwarfs you see now are probably at the pinnacle of their technological advancement (if the world gets destroyed and they don’t survive).

What do you think of all this?  In the final battles for the world the chaos dwarfs seem to have quite an important role (as siege masters).

Will this change the fluff for your army do you think?

Spikes:

Nah, mine are still slavemasters at heart.

Thommy H:

If it’s set in the future, maybe this is the Chaos Dwarfs after some sort of internal strife that leads to them abandoning their Daemon-binding. “Ghorth’s folly” or some such; maybe he tries to unify all the Sorcerers and it all goes horribly wrong.

Grimstonefire:

Seems to me that the time period between the present day and the start of this book (which could be after Karl Franz is dead, or a long time in the future) is still up for debate and story writing.

I’m curious how much of a back story they will actually give the CD.

Apparently if the fans hate the fluff it will be considered non canon, but if they like it the books will describe the final battles of the world. Time will tell.

Thommy H:

story writing
Yup. I smell a very long-term project for the Word of Hashut brewing... We'll see how the new background pans out.

wallacer:

There’s no real way of knowing until we see the book. It could be just after Karl Franz is dead or thousands of years in the future.

I’m really looking forward to having a read of these books. Hopefully the CD get a decent hunk of it allocated to them.

cornixt:

I’m certain that it will be vague enough that we won’t actually know how far in the future it is, but that it seems close enough that the units can be used in current armies.

Apparently if the fans hate the fluff it will be considered non canon, but if they like it the books will describe the final battles of the world.
Yep!

Shakhorth:

End of times stuff is always intresting. Personally I’d like to keep the current history and not change it anymore. But that’s just my imo, I really like ‘the fate of the world is balanced on a knife’s edge’ feeling the current history provides.

I guess time will tell how the fans will react…

secret apprentice:

I imagine it will have the alternate timeline story and some story which is current and would be history in the normal timeline as well.

As for which are which is up to the player to decide to get the best from their hobby and experience the game as it was meant to be played.

snowblizz:

I haven’t read the fluff and already hate it!

Alternate history and repeating Ends of Times with massive retcons is what stupid American* superhero comics do.

Why would they get into that pile of…

*I only know American superhero comics, I’m sure there are just as stupid Canadian, Brittish, Japanese ones as well.

Thommy H:

Uh…surely alternate history is the exact opposite to a massive retcon? They’re mutually exclusive. Unless you just arbitrarily hate both.

cornixt:

Alternative universe things are done so that you can explore outside the box (without endlessly retreading the same thing over and over) while removing the need to retcon.

I far prefer it over a retcon, which screws everything up with what you thought you knew - something that GW do far too often.

wallacer:

I don’t care how they justify it, I just want some new Chaos Dwarf figures.

snowblizz:

Uh...surely alternate history is the exact opposite to a massive retcon? They're mutually exclusive. Unless you just arbitrarily hate both.

Thommy H
There's nothing "just" about arbitrarily hating both.

They are not necessarily separate things, but variants of the "solution" to the same idiotic result when you continuously have to ramp things up.

I seem to remember reading about a story arc where after like a dozen issues or whatever the protagonist suddenly wakes up and all is "back to normal" again. Alternate history retcon.

It is not long ago I was looking on wikipedia about some comic stuff, it was linked from a Warhammer discussion for some reason I no longer remember. There was at least a dozen different incarnations with various retcons and/or alternate history versions. Confusing to say the least. Obviously Marvel & DC are possibly the worst examples in this regard. But I've never really liked it in tv series either where in the middle of everything there's an non sequitur episode.

Thommy H:

I seem to remember reading about a story arc where after like a dozen issues or whatever the protagonist suddenly wakes up and all is "back to normal" again.
I think you're thinking of Dallas.

nitroglysarine:

Love the concept.

In fact i’m going to kick the ‘morph’s’ into the last thing you kill idea for LARP. :smiley:

Thommy H:

Don’t morph into Mad Richard: the world is not ready for two of them.

nitroglysarine:

Don't morph into Mad Richard: the world is not ready for two of them.

Thommy H
Lol, killed Richard on more than one occasion in LARP, i'm one of the Refs in the system now :D

Breaker17:

Personally I don’t like the idea of it being set at the End Times. It’s cool to think about, but when you really think about it after those battles its done, done. No more, I know the game won’t end but it gives us that closer that we don’t want. We all want to think that each of our races is going to prevail. Hell, I play skaven and I want to see the Great Acendence happen not chaos take over. (of course CD’s should help with the Great Acendance) If FW goes and does this I think it takes our right of making our own “destiny” for our armies in warhammer because we know how it ends.

I hope that made sence, take it worth a grain of salt. Just my thoughts.

For Hasut and the Horned Rat:cheers

Thommy H:

That’s why it’s set in an alternate timeline. This is the story of what would happen if the setting was advanced. But it’s not going to happen in actual Warhammer - just Forgeworld’s version of it.