[Archive] Thornin's Space dwarves

Da Crusha:

wow great job on the space dwarfs they look fantastic. never would’ve thought gretchin would convert this nicely. GOOD JOB!

Thorne:

The simplicity of the space dwarf idea I had lent itself very well to a wholesale army quite well. Not only are the models dirt cheap but proportional to a dwarf they are the right size. That said I will be having some issues on the next batch of sniper infiltrators. I wish to give them wrapp around cloaks and I am having issue working out the best way to approach this and how to nicely work out how to adapt the weapons they are armed with. But thus far in happy with how they are going. Thanks for the comments guys.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I have a whole bunch of those gretchin bodies if you’d like to discuss them? Check out The Market Place for numbers and such.

Thorne:

Today I started my hardest task to date. Sculpting from scratch EXO armoured squats. I must say thus far it’s looking good. I started with egg shaped blobs for the main bodies. Fleshing out the main sections with milliput. That in mind I have decided to then sculpt cloaks on their backs rather than making the backs too industrial and technological . I however am unsure how to do their feet. I’m sure these will be as good as the old school games workshop ones. Pictures will follow.

dncswlf:

These guys look awesome Thorne!!! the Darth Vay’Dar piece is a perfect addition! Can you take a better pic of him??

Thorne:

Sure can. I’ll drop some better images of dwarf Var Dur next time I update this blog with the scratch built EXO armoured troopers I’m building. So far I’ve made 10 egg shaped bodies that I’m damn proud of at the moment. They are very 1980’s retro.

Thorne:

Yes I admit I went back to old school milliput but I think the results of thesecloaks speak for themselves.

better or worse shot of dwarf Var Dur I’m not sure but a perfect leader to this battleforce so far.

Exo armoured works in progress very retro

with flash on damn it makes the models look very odd

Im sure you can now see the retro stylings of these models

power fists and a lonely power axe for what will be my exo armoured squats. Power axe has been given a wash of blue ink to help me see it better in artifical light and replicate the details. a bit more work on another arm to do too as I tried press the power axe arm I made first that didnt work so well.

Storm bolter going to bee’s the one on the far right was a press mould rather than a sculpting and turned out awfull. The shoulder isnt to bad so that may be a donnor for a heavy weapons trooper.

You are weak tyranids you should not have returned !!!

nitroglysarine:

looking cool. Good press moulding, but i’d say yeah don’t do it with the weapons, but the arms look awesome.

Thorne:

The only press moulding I did was with the arms. Im looking to avoid that now as the results are just not crisp enough in comparison to my origanal sculp for my liking. That by nature wouldnt lend itself well towards the egg bodies either. Reverse printing would be great I suppose on little details rather than wholesale bodies.

furrie:

The look alot like the GW exo armours, I have one lying around on a bike.

Thorne:

Thats the whole point Furrie, traditional Eggs with legs when they get the legs that is, I do not nor plan on as yet getting the facility to cast my own models yet, Mayhaps if these turn into the models I hope they can be with a great deal of work and a lot more paitence and restraint than I usualy am capable of. After watching the likes of Nitro’s blog and other people work the fastest way isnt always the best way.

nitroglysarine:

...After watching the likes of Nitro's blog and other people work the fastest way isnt always the best way.

Thorne
Amen, I'm have recurring dreams about scales.

Thorne:

Annoyingly the milliput cracks as it dries and I’ll need to get some more to do the intricate details but knowing I’ll spend a hour on sculpting a arm at least means I’ll have to put a good paint job on them. Do you guys think the cloaks I have on my infiltrators will work on my exotroopers ? I’ve got a rather useful super sculpy negative for the cloaks to give them the regular looking folds but they don’t look half bad do they?

Thorne:

Sculptings okay just a shame about the paint job :stuck_out_tongue:

Bolg:

Great tanks from scratch!! and I love the grenchin conversions!! good job!!

Thorne:

Thanks Bolg

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Thorne:

I just purchased another 98 gretchin for this force. That will give me a grand total of 179 models in my force. Large enough for quite a sizeable force If I were to go the imperial guard route. I’m very happy with the purchase too as the base models for my force thus far will only be £19.00 plus £12 for greenstuff.

I tend to get carried away when making my exo armoured squats as they take a great deal of time and concentration to pull off, I shall however remember when making my standard squats as they are possibly the easiest to leave between stages the workability of the milliput makes it difficult to leave, I shall try and create one with greenstuff.

Now with one squad of exo armoured troopers done I simply had to do another squad. Im thinking eventualy to build the numbers of Exo armoured troopers to at least 50 eventualy too add some real fear and teeth to appocalypes size battles. Scare the bejesus out of all whom face the power of the squats. That said 50 troopers is a little ambitious but not impossible and to think that a standard squad of GW terminators costs £27.70 in real terms a entire pack of milliput for £3 doesnt seam so bad even when you put in context the labour involved in making a single figure.

Here are the prommised pictures

I think I need to enhance their more battle scared look but they are not looking to shabby for 2 packs of milliput.

Da Crusha:

very cool looking armoured guys! nice casts also.

Thorne:

Da Crusha I wish they were casts. I would colourise the resin red before filling the moulds :stuck_out_tongue: would save a he’ll of a lot of undercoating and red paint :stuck_out_tongue:

dncswlf:

now where are your bikes and trikes!?!?! looking good!