[Archive] Ultramarines up for preorder

Grimstonefire:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29159&utm_source=Ultramarines%3A+The+Movie&utm_campaign=a2f1c0c4e2-Mailer11&utm_medium=email

Trailer looks pretty good. I’ll definitely be buying a standard edition when it comes out.

From what I hear the site is getting extremely high traffic, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the limited edition ones sell out within a few weeks.

Pyro Stick:

To be honest im not that impressed. They should have done a live action film instead of taking the easy way out and doing it 100% cgi, the quality of which looks quite poor. Wall-e has better cgi. Makes it seem more like a money making scheme than an honest attempt at making a good movie. The limited edition looks reasonably priced though, unlike the extended version of avatar that play.com tried to sell to me this morning for £90.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Personally, it still looks a little less than ideal quality-wise, some of the models are disimilar to the designs shown in Codices etc, the lip-synch is off (Stamp keeps talking and the lips remain closed) and the fight shows Chaos Space Marines dying in droves as though they were Imperial Guard without armour running into the Sun…

Might watch it (if someone I know gets it), but don’t know if I’ll bother buying it.

warh:

after seen the trailer I hate this movie:(

I really hoped for a cool film:mad

also I don’t like how easy the chaos space marines die compared to the ultra marinesx.x

Thommy H:

Wall-e has better cgi
How is that a criticism? Wall-E was produced by a huge Disney-owned corporation with a history of making nothing but hugely successful CGI movies. How could GW possibly have the money to produce something better than Pixar?

Blue in VT:

I can’t say that it looks awesome…but I can say that I will see it anyway!

:):slight_smile:

:hat off

Blue

Grimstonefire:

I think that considering the budget they probably had to do this was not huge (by cgi standards), imo it is a very good effort.  They are not a films company, so they were only ever going to invest a limited amount in this.

I think they should have made the marine voices deeper, it would have been more fitting of them being huge men.

zobo1942:

I’ll watch it. Why? Because I’m think it will be interesting to see how they do it. The lip-synching thing/trailer quality thing may be web-related… but time will tell. Most low-res web-downsampled trailers look primitive compared to the real thing, anyway.

Also, I’m hoping to convince my wife that I have to chug a beer everytime someone says ‘For the Emperor!’.

Grimstonefire:

Lol.  I think me saying a few weeks for limited edition to sell out may be a bit too long.   Maybe a week.

http://www.ultramarinesthemovie.com/shop/offline

Vash:

to be honest, i don’t think the CGI is really that bad. well, it’s not pixar offcourse but then they should’ve hired them.

i’m more dissapointed in the choice of race… space marines, ah everything must always be about them… and the arch nemesis: Chaos space marines… luckily i live in the netherlands. it usualy takes about a year or more for foreign movies to get here, by then everybody will have seen it and i can judge from the reviews if it’s good enough to buy.

if only they did a live action movie with imperial guard and 'nids… oh wait, that’s been done before;P

Thommy H:

space marines, ah everything must always be about them
Yeah, they're the main character in 40K. Are people still annoyed about this? It's like complaining that Buffy the Vampire Slayer always features that blonde girl, or that Doctor Who spends way too much time going on about the time-travelling alien with two hearts. 40K is about Space Marines.

zobo1942:

I’d like to see an animated film about the inquisition - the ‘Eisenhorn’ trilogy, on screen? I think that would be awesome.

secret apprentice:

Books like Eisenhorn/ ravenor are interesting BECAUSE they are a nice break form the usual Space Marines but they are the reason that 40 k exists in the first place… Thommy H has it completely right.

If you still don’t like reading about Space Marines your not reading the right books.

Bolg:

I’ve seen worse 3D. its about time they finally finished something. there have been many rumors and tries for as long as i’ve been on warhammer fora.

I’ll watch it with some nerdy friends and i’ll probably have a good evening.

To bad they chose to go with the ultramarines, I’m not a big 40K fan but I like some of the races… but not most boring of all spacemarines…

nitroglysarine:

hmmmm, to me it looks a bit like a trailer for an xbox game - but i do currently have an eye infection :frowning:

might be good, all comes down to the plot really. CGI could be awesome, but if the plot stinks or is to obvious then it’ll be boring.

Still looks hopeful.

Shakhorth:

hmmmm, to me it looks a bit like a trailer for an xbox game - but i do currently have an eye infection :(
might be good, all comes down to the plot really. CGI could be awesome, but if the plot stinks or is to obvious then it'll be boring.
Still looks hopeful.

nitroglysarine
I disagree, Xbox trailers are better! :P

zobo1942:

I agree the Space Marines are the most prevalent characters in 40K, but I think they that they lack the individuality to make them truly interesting (to me, anyway). How can a reader relate the a seven foot tall genetically modified supersoldier? I sure can’t. And half the dialogue seems to be Space Marine catch phrases. Not to say there aren’t some bright spots but overall, it just doesn’t do it for me.

I like the individuality and the character development in the Eisenhorn books (and to a lesser extent, the Ravenor books) - for me, they really brought the 40K universe to life in a way that Space Marine fiction never could… Well, hasn’t, for me.

nitroglysarine:

hmmmm, to me it looks a bit like a trailer for an xbox game - but i do currently have an eye infection :(
might be good, all comes down to the plot really. CGI could be awesome, but if the plot stinks or is to obvious then it'll be boring.
Still looks hopeful.

nitroglysarine
I disagree, Xbox trailers are better! :P

Shakhorth
Remember eye infection! ;)

Loki:

Will be buying this as soon as it comes out i have seen it at 2 gamesdays now and i want it :slight_smile:

Vash:

i’m not really mad about it, i’m just dissapointed. especialy due to the combination of normal and chaos space marines battleling against eachother. but… if they get some sort of plot twist in it like they did in the dawn of war 2 story (especialy the expensions story line) then this movie could be very interesting.

and for the record… i’m not much of a reader :frowning: so i have no idea about all the book series BL publishes.

i do have some 40K graphic novels though.