[Archive] Ultramarines up for preorder

Fequiil:

Wow, never thought of Sisters of Battle as viable perve material.
thanks for destroying another part of my childhood :D

nitroglysarine
:mad

nitroglysarine:

Wow, never thought of Sisters of Battle as viable perve material.
thanks for destroying another part of my childhood :D

nitroglysarine
:mad

Fequiil
that my have been the last part of my childhood going.
all i see in my children's programs like 'in the nightgarden' is smut.

my soul I fear is unrecoverable ;P

Grimstonefire:

Something interesting I read on Dakka from GD Germany. Seems that the studio funded the whole film!?

Potentially a huge personal risk for them I imagine (presuming they took out bank loans), but also they could make a lot of money from it.

GRNDL:

That makes sense. Very few movie studios would bank on making a movie out of the licence without some kind of huge breakout product, like a video game say, that would prove to them some kind of mass market appeal. It also explains the horrendous animation and why its direct to DVD, since there obviously wasn’t much of a budget. Movie studios spend as much on marketing for a movie as they do on making the movie itself, sometimes much more; with the way GW advertises, I can’t see it being anything but direct-to-DVD.

zobo1942:

Regarding funding: “…The film has been financed by Aramid Entertainment BV, POP6 Medias Inc and the Wales Creative IP Fund.” <

Grimstonefire:

Afaik it’s straight to Dvd only, probably not for rental.

zobo1942:

That’s interesting - and seems to imply that this is for 40K fans, not for introducing new people to the 40K universe.

I’m looking forward not only to seeing it, but also to seeing how successful it is… even though I’m not a space marine fan.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

If they want to judge the sucess of it, why not print off millions of copies and sell them in the GW stores? Why go “Limited Special Release”? Heck! Every Wal-Mart should sell at least 50 of these. It’s got 2 factors all kids love…

1.) Everything looks like a Video Game

2.) It’s got Ultramarines.

Why wouldn’t it be sucessful? :smiley:

zobo1942:

I can only relate this to book sales - if you sell a self-published book in a bookstore, typically the store wants between 40% and 60% of the listing price. If that is similar to the way that retail sales work at the local megamart, then even if they only sell half as many through their website, they’d still bring in the same revenue.

Plus, you’d have to ship the discs to all the stores, and have some kind of display, etc… none of which you’d need to do if you sold them online, other than the website itself and the ‘store’ part of it, and you can charge for shipping. That may add in another couple of percent to their bottom line. Also, if there is going to be a direct-download option, that will further cut out the middle men and get more cash directly to the people creating the product.

I’m no expert, but maybe that’s what they’re trying to do? Being the creators of the product AND the only place where it can be purchased is an interesting idea, and I’d be curious to see if it works… if indeed that’s what they’re doing.

The idea of having them in GW stores seems to be a good one - I’d be surprised if the didn’t do that. However, they may just have a big poster saying “Go to www.ultramarinesthemovie.com to order/download your copy today!” Probably be just as effective…

Grimstonefire:

I can’t see them wanting to sell them through supermarkets, they would discount it hugely and nobody would pay full retail price.

Baggronor:

However, sadly, I think showing a PG-13 audience a bunch of chicks in metal corsets with guns blasting daemons and/or aliens into charred pulp would be depressingly successful, especially if there was a post-combat shower scene.
That sounds much better. They'd need better cgi though.

Its not really a film, is it? Its another 40k accessory, notable mainly for the lack of player interaction.
Being the creators of the product AND the only place where it can be purchased is an interesting idea, and I'd be curious to see if it works... if indeed that's what they're doing.
Best way to do it. Its what they did with WD; avoided paying anyone advertising fees by simply making their own magazine. Its a smart move.