[Archive] [Updated 10/21/2008] Grunts' Chaos Dwarfs

grunts:

Well, since there is a blog section now I suppose I will take advantage.

I’ve just finished my first 10 CD warriors.

[attachment=162]

I’m especially happy with the Musician and Unit Champion

[attachment=163][attachment=164]

[attachment=165][attachment=166]

I have also started on a hobgoblin bolt thrower using the last edition of the dwarf bolt thrower. I had the idea that the hobbo crew have been chained to stakes so they don’t run off. :idea

[attachment=167][attachment=168]

Traitor King:

A good start!

I especially like the use of the hellcannon spike on the BT.

Nice work on the beards and interesting mix of componets on the Warriors.

AGPO:

I like the thinking with the boltthrower crew, nicely evil! I’m impresed by the musician too, sculpting moustaches isn’t easy

The Slaver:

Nice work there mate! i ecspecially like the use of the hooks on the Champion. Very Evil. Keep the pictures coming

Xander:

Looking great so far! Well done. :slight_smile:

grunts:

OK, heres what I’ve got on my desk so far:

10 hobbo wolf riders (5 painted)

20 CD warriors w/ hw & shields ready for paint

39 CD warriors w/ hw & shields still to assemble (may need to use some of these as bb’s or something)

15 CD warriors w/ great weapons still to assemble

1 Hobbo Bolt thrower to paint

1 Earthshaker to paint

4 Ogre Ironguts to paint

Plus I have the following coming from Ebay:

1 more bolt thrower

1 box of thunderers (for BB’s)

1 blister of old Marauder Dwarf Slayers (but what they’re for is a secret for now;))

grunts:

Well, if something isn’t working the best cure seems to be MORE GREEN STUFF!

I was a bit unhappy with how high the heads were sitting on my CD Warriors, so instead of redoing the whole unit I took (some might say stole) some inspiration from Hammerhand’s CD’s https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/5499

[attachment=169][attachment=170][attachment=171][attachment=172]

grunts:

I can’t contain myself, I’ve gotta show off my hobbo hero

[attachment=175]

leviathan:

i love the painting of the skin on that hobbo

Ellimist:

Agreed, the paintwork on the Hobbo is looking very nice. I’d reallylike to see the full shot!

grunts:

Agreed, the paintwork on the Hobbo is looking very nice. I'd reallylike to see the full shot!

Ellimist
thanks, but you'll have to wait for the golden hat on Sep. 30th. sorry

Canix:

Nice sneak preview of hobbo hero there mate ,great beards n capes on the CD too:hat

grunts:

Oh so much to do, so little time. I really should be painting, but I just had to pick up more green stuff. I decided to get a start on my BBs.
[attachment=176][attachment=177]

Whats the verdict on my first attempt at masks? Sorry about the low quality pics, I’m working with a terrible camera

Ghrask Dragh:

Very cool! :hat off

Those sort of rivets are a nightmare, you did a good job with them. Are those the new dwarf thunderer arms?

Keep 'em coming! :cheers

grunts:

Very cool! :hat off
Those sort of rivets are a nightmare, you did a good job with them. Are those the new dwarf thunderer arms?
Keep 'em coming! :cheers

Ghrask Dragh
Thanks. Yeah they are the new thunderer arms. The rivets aren't that hard to do. It just takes a VERY small ball of green stuff placed where you want it then flattened with a blade.

wallacer:

Whats the verdict on my first attempt at masks?��

grunts
They have an air of understated menace about them which suits CD very well. It is a fine piece of sculpting.

grunts:

I’ve finally managed to get some painting done. Only a test model for my warrior unit, not alot but at least its something.

[attachment=184][attachment=185][attachment=186]

Managed to get my hands on some gnoblar (or gnoblars? Is it plural like sheep or plural like dogs?) last weekend, as well as another bolt thrower and a whole plethora of bits (oh bits, how I luv thee :o)

I did get a bit of bad news though. There is a warhammer tourney in October at our local gaming store and I was all set to get my CD’s finished up and mop the floor with them; unfortunately I was told today that they won’t be allowing Chaos Dwarfs as they only want armies with an official codex. Needless to say I was crushed (as well as shocked and horrified) by this obvious tall-hat prejudice. “So let me get this straight,” I asked, “Because my army doesn’t have a nice shiny codex I can’t use them, but if I use a codex army and take an extra lord or an additional 500points its fine?” (in reference to the flagrant rule-bending of the last few tournaments they’ve hosted). “Sorry,” they said, deliberately ignoring this obvious burn, “its just the way it is”. (may I also mention that, last I checked, they were not a “Rogue Trader Approved” store, nor did they have any desire to be)

But anyways, hope you enjoy the paint job. :hat off

Doombeard:

looks wicked man what paint did you use for the brass effect? is it brazen brass? and whats a rogue trader approved store?!

Ghrask Dragh:

Looks awesome, not in the least because I have also chosen green for my army colour-scheme… this is getting pretty strange, but hey great minds think alike :cheers

Agreed you have a great technique for the metallics, I can’t wait to see a full unit of these guys!

:hat off always look forward to more

grunts:

looks wicked man what paint did you use for the brass effect? is it brazen brass? and whats a rogue trader approved store?!

iamahobgoblin
thanks, its dwarf bronze with a chestnut wash over a graveyard earth basecoat.

"Rogue Trader Approved" are independent retailers that have signed on with GW to promote the game. Maybe they have a different name elsewhere, but thats what their called here in Canada. When it comes to warhammer or 40k they have to do things the way GW wants them done, so at tournaments you'rr allowed no unofficial lists, no non-GW models, etc.
Looks awesome, not in the least because I have also chosen green for my army colour-scheme... this is getting pretty strange, but hey great minds think alike Cheers!
Agreed you have a great technique for the metallics, I can't wait to see a full unit of these guys!

Ghrask Dragh
haha, yeah green does seem pretty popular. My roommate plays goodie dwarfs and they have a green colour scheme as well (though much brighter). The colour scheme was a toss up between Orkhide Shade or Mechrite Red (Citadel foundation paints). It was really hard to decide on, but Orkhide won out in the end because Mechrite Red, even though its a foundation paint, took three coats to get decent coverage and thats just way too much work for me to want to do.:P