[Archive] US Grand tournament - without CDs

metro_gnome:

We're way past the point where we have the luxury of being choosey.
and this is my point... perhaps they will listen to you...

as i suggested in my first post in the thread willmark...
play your CD models as a dwarf list... but put them on the table...

Xander:

Hear hear. Get them on the table!

Willmark:

I’ve already been thinking about how might I incorporate that into my list in such situations. Obviously count as will be coming into play.

The other obvious thing is that I would have to create far more chaos dwarfs then I currently have. As any 25mm based model will be right out. And right now out of my two infantry units one is 1 20-orc unit… :confused:

Of course at the rate I’m going that might not be an issue as of tonight when I post pics of my Bull Centaurs I’ll be over 2,000 points and next units up are chaos dwarfs…

Doogle:

I apologize for the threadomancy. But I wanted to add a side note real quick.

Due to the major overhaul HoC are about to go through, I am going to put my Nurgle army to the side and work on them sparingly.

I am going to focus on my chaos dwarves as my new army.

I am going to try and represent the Dawi-Zharr in the Alamo Indy Gt in November.

I know the premise of this post was that the CD list was illegal, but since the Indy GT is not really a GW event, they have created their own rules and are allowing the Ravening Hordes list in the armies allowed for use.

Link to their rules, just for clarification purposes you know.

Hespithe:

Cool deal, Doogle… There is a chance that I will be there as well. I missed last year’s event, but I’ll likely be able to represent the Beaumont Dice Monkeys this year. Besides, I do miss San Antonio.

Malificant:

any of you two go to the hillbilly invitational at little rock?

Hespithe:

Not yet, but it is a possibility as well. I’ve just recently gotten back into the fantasy side of the hobby. Started in '94, but took a 12 year or so break. Hopefully, when I manage to complete my Chosen Stunties, they will still be legal for Indy GTs at least. GW really does need to stop backpedaling.

Kera foehunter:

i have and it a great time !!! but i was playing dwarfs at that time

Willmark:

Something just got me thinking.

Suppose GW does roll us into HoC. Is this necessarily a good thing? Hear me out for a minute…

Putting us in HoC may give us some official rules sure, but if its no where near what the rules are now in terms of our list. Just how well well that sell?

Sure it could be argued that the current CD generals are not what GW will be targeting, rather getting “new blood” into the army if they should do one (and that is a big if IMHO). In doing so they are going to be concerned with as many people buying the army in order for it to be a success rather then those currently playing CDs.

Now if GW should go down this route… doesn’t it seem counter productive in some respects? From its inception (When Rick Preiestly wrote the initial list in 1993) it has always pretty much stated the same in terms of unit consistency. Just how many of the current CD players are going to endorse wholesale change to the list. We here are pretty split in our opinions, so any move GW makes is going to have negative consequences if and when they do an army…

What could work is make it an “appendix type” type army; a sub set if you will with perhaps options to pick a unit of chaos here and there… limited to 0-1 maybe.

So what I’m trying to get to is most of us here are of the mindset that “something is better then nothing”… have we really thought out? What that means should sales fail there is no way they will ever be done again. Maybe it should be "Something done RIGHT is better then nothing at all.

metro_gnome:

Now if GW should go down this route... doesn't it seem counter productive in some respects? From its inception (When Rick Preiestly wrote the initial list in 1993) it has always pretty much stated the same in terms of unit consistency. Just how many of the current CD players are going to endorse wholesale change to the list. We here are pretty split in our opinions, so any move GW makes is going to have negative consequences if and when they do an army...

Willmark
your argument continues to be flawed based on this assumption...
rick priestly did not write the "initial" list... CDs were created in 3rd ed...
nor is there unit consistancy in the CD list at present... it is a modified O&G list...
and current CD players have no intention of buying new CD models... they already have their army...

so how counter-productive is it to release CDs as the supplement it was in its original form (to chaos)?
rather than making it the supplement that is was in a secondary form (to O&G)?
to satisfy a backwards customer base that has no intention to buy the product?

which all ignores the fact that CDs are neither primary nor supplementary to anything anymore...
as they have been banned from tournament play...
Maybe it should be "Something done RIGHT is better then nothing at all.
you can dress up "all or nothing" all you like... its still what you are saying...
and still something you are unlikely to get... leaving you with "nothing" at all...

cornixt:

So what I'm trying to get to is most of us here are of the mindset that "something is better then nothing"... have we really thought out? What that means should sales fail there is no way they will ever be done again. Maybe it should be "Something done RIGHT is better then nothing at all.

Willmark
No, the real question is: "Is something done badly still better than nothing?", i.e. do you want a completely dead army or some scraps from which you can make something?

If CDs aren't in the Chaos list and don't get their own list, then we are left with a Dwarf army. If they are in HoC in some respect then at least we have the choice. Even if it is no better than Dwarfs in most ways, it will be better in other ways.

McNs:

I know this is baseless speculation, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we ended up with multiple CD weapon crews and maybe a hero or two in the 7th ed HoC. I’d love to have CDs as an HoC option (“something better nothing”), but I just don’t see GW adding Chaos Dwarf Warriors as a Core choice for HoC. They’re too slow, don’t hit hard enough, and don’t add much to the army.

I also question whether or not GW will try to make an “undivided” HoC book a’la the current 40K Chaos Marine Codex. Given the fan reaction to that, they might be second guessing going away from single-God armies (although the rumors of the new Daeomons armybook seem to indicate that’s going the multi-God route).

I sincerely hope we’re not “Squatted”; however, with Gav out of GW, I’ll take what I can get at this point.

- McNs

Willmark:

you can dress up "all or nothing" all you like... its still what you are saying...
and still something you are unlikely to get... leaving you with "nothing" at all...

metro_gnome
No. Actually your premise is flawed. Why? because of the continued patronizing tone regarding this. I was merely wondering a question out loud and low and behold here comes Metro with the same old song. You want to discuss this fine. Do so in a manner that is something less then "I know everything, you know nothing". Can't quite figure out why you think I'm going to continually take what you are shoveling at me. Take it somewhere else then at me.

I wondered if "Something is better then nothing" was best solution. Not an endorsement nor opinion I have thought is correct. But of course you are the only authority in such matters... how quickly one forgets.
Nice try though, read through the thread I am all for HoC is thats all we are going to get, I've said it several times. I've also said its not what I want,  nor did I intent to start this as an argument, but of course I should have known better.

Kind of makes me laugh that you can continue to (apparently) read my mind.

You seem to think that 3rd edition is the start of CDs. To which I'll point out that GW scrapped everything CD related and only kept the name in the move from 3rd-4th. Tenderizers, whirlwinds et all, are deader then dead. Rick's list has been the state of CDs far longer then the 3rd edition lists by a factor of what, 4?

Cornixt- It could be argued that is where we are now: "Something done badly", Not my opinion but definitely another view point on it.

So much for wondering aloud.

metro_gnome:

so you’ve re-opened this can of worms to state (and i maintain restate) that you have no opinion?
no dice… must be lonely up there on that imaginary fence you pretend to be sitting on…

I will continue to point out the fallacies in your logic as long as you present them…
despite your feigned non-intent…

DARKTROOPER:

My biggest concern would be how would they be incorperated into the HoC list? Really where would they fit? Crew for artillery? Elites? Core? Who Knows…I’d rather see an update like Blood Angels, which gets us going for a little bit. I personally don’t feel the need for a full blown book. Does the US GT rules apply to Games Days?

wallacer:

It depends on what Chaos is going to be like now.

If Daemons and Beasts really are going to be entirely separate armies then that will leave HoC as a mostly human army, sort of like an evil version of the Empire.

GW may decide to simply have the HoC book as the book that contains all mortal Chaos worshippers, which would include CD and perhaps cultists, but exclude BoC, Daemons and fringe Chaotics like Skaven and Dark Elves.

I doubt it personally, but it is possible.

metro_gnome:

Does the US GT rules apply to Games Days?
well they would...
but the US tourneys are no longer supporting the RH list this tournament season...

I've posted earlier in the thread a list of the integration as I see it...
remember there are only in fact 4 chaos dwarf units at all...

or a HoC list could look like:

Core
Maruaders
Marauder Horsemen
Chaos Warriors
Chaos Knights
Chaos Dwarf Warriors
Hounds

Special
Blunderbusses
Bull Centaurs
Chariots
Flayerkin
Furies (or lesser daemons or whatever)

Rare
Greater Daemon
Hellcannon
Spawn

metro_gnome

wallacer:

That would be a pretty decent list, especially as it would allow us to proxy in Whirlwinds and Tenderisers as chariots :idea

Personally, I think CD warriors, blunderbusses, chariots and fast cav would be a rock hard build, perhaps too much so. Although of course there is nothing preventing them from altering stats and points values to take this into account.

metro_gnome:

because of the chariots? well core chariots have always been a problem for chaos…

moving both chariots and BBs to special would be important so that they compete for slots…

cornixt:

I would expect CDs and Knights to be Special, no Flayerkin, and no Greater Daemons (except as part of the daemon list, I very much doubt that they will be totally separate)