[Archive] US Primaries

Willmark:

WWII- greatest generation this world has ever seen bar none. Take that you damn dirty hippies!

Hammerhand:

@TFB & WM

My contention is this: If a person doen’t vote they have no right to complain.

Willmark
If people started to care more about government, government would have no choice but to do the same in return.

I don’t think that voting should be mandatory, but anyone who doesn’t want to vote will have to explain to a WWII veteran why they’re not voting.

The Flying Beaver
Your statements are unfair. What happens when you dont like any of the choices available? you don’t choose.  That doesn’t make you a bad person or revoke your right to complaint.

The only PM who sent britain into more conflicts than tony blair was churchill.  He did this while cutting the defence budget, while the defence manning was dropping rapidly and also had us putting out fires in WWII fire engines (not an exaggeration), killing mad cows and collecting rubbish while every bugger else went on strike.  Our boys arrived in Iraq with sub standard equipment,which cost soldiers lives. Our ammunition was out of date and we were fed on rations designed to be used in a temperate climate.  Mr Brown said in the News that the Army was doing a fantastic job in Afghanistan, we are overstretched, working really hard and deserve the highest praise.  When they get back from their 6-8 months in 'stan, our boys will be greeted with the news that “Mr Brown has just slashed your pension lads, but thanks for the great job your doing over there, now run allong to your decrepid and condemned accommodation, you’ve got a nice 3 months training before your off out there - again”.

Forgive me if I don’t feel like voting for any of them, and I have been to Iraq and Afghanistan defending my country, so I don’t feel guilty and I don’t have to explain why I’m not voting to anyone. (although I kind of just have!)

This is not intended to be ‘narky’ by the way.

Willmark:

Thats why I often find myself in the voting booth choosing the lesser of two evils. I agree it would be nice if there was a “none of the above option” or better canidate however its rarely the case…

Kera foehunter:

Well i don’t think any Generation is better than the rest!! Each Generation has to deal with all types of stuff …And also has to deal with What generation before left them!!

cornixt:

So spoil your ballot paper, write rude words or squiggles all over it. It still gets counted, but not for any of the candidates. Otherwise you end up lumped in with the “can’t be bothered” lot and no one ever tries to get their vote.

Kera foehunter:

Sorry Cornixt !!!we no longer have paper ballots

its all computor touch screen thats why people don’t trust it…

Willmark:

Ahem: Kera, with all due respect you’re way off base. The WWII generation survived the Deoression, fought and won WWII, and built America into what it is now during the 1950s, put men on the moon, etec, etc. They are the greatest generation in light of comparing them to the generation that came immediately after them: the Baby Boomers; who for the most part were/are the most self absorbed generation ever. Most of the Gen-Xers like myself don’t have much respect for them. Its all the more telling when you contrast their accomplishments against the WWII generation. The baby boomers accomplished what exactly?

Hammerhand:

The baby boomers accomplished what exactly?

Willmark
Enlightenment man!! :sick
oh, and babies.

The Flying Beaver:

What happens when you dont like any of the choices available?
If you want something done right, do it yourself! :D

Failing that, joke parties exist. Official Monster Raving Looney Party for Britain, neorhino.ca or Lemon Party for Canada, Libertarian Party for the US.

Failing THAT, you can always write in 'none of the above.' The idea of driving to a polling station just to say no to all the candidates sounds too fun. You might even give the people counting your votes a smile.

Theory_Man:

Ahem: Kera, with all due respect you're way off base. The WWII generation survived the Deoression, fought and won WWII, and built America into what it is now during the 1950s, put men on the moon, etec, etc. They are the greatest generation in light of comparing them to the generation that came immediately after them: the Baby Boomers; who for the most part were/are the most self absorbed generation ever. Most of the Gen-Xers like myself don't have much respect for them. Its all the more telling when you contrast their accomplishments against the WWII generation. The baby boomers accomplished what exactly?
Gen-Xers?

wallacer:

Baby Boomers like to think that they were the generation that defeated communism.

In reality I suspect they mostly just sat back consuming resources while Communism defeated itself.

tackaberry:

Ahem: Kera, with all due respect you're way off base. The WWII generation survived the Deoression, fought and won WWII, and built America into what it is now during the 1950s, put men on the moon, etec, etc. They are the greatest generation in light of comparing them to the generation that came immediately after them: the Baby Boomers; who for the most part were/are the most self absorbed generation ever. Most of the Gen-Xers like myself don't have much respect for them. Its all the more telling when you contrast their accomplishments against the WWII generation. The baby boomers accomplished what exactly?
You attribute 50 years to the WW2 generation. No wonder you think they did a lot.

The Flying Beaver:

In reality I suspect they mostly just sat back consuming resources while Communism defeated itself.
Quoted for truth.

Also, the Florida Primaries were tonight. John Mccain won, Giuliani got pwnd and will drop out and endorse Mccain. Clinton won for the democrats but nobody will be getting any delegates from the state, making the victory only symbolic.

Will Giuliani's endorsement of McCain finally tip it in favour of him, making him the frontrunner? Or will Mittens' huge amount of cash make him the only one able to run a national campaign and thus come out on top after Super Tuesday?

Willmark:

Gen-Xers?

Theory_Man
Generation X. Members of Generation X were born from around 1961-1980. We are sometimes known as a baby bust because we are a much smaller generation then the Baby Boomers. My parents were of the "Silent Generation", sandwiched ine between the WWIIers and the Baby Boomers.

We are the 13th generation of America. Dating back to the 1620's. Do a google search for more info there is tons out there.

Anyone after 1980 is a member of Generation Y (1980-1995) roughly speaking, also known as the (Echo boomers) because they you are largely kids of the Baby Boomers, i.e. the Baby Boomers put off having kids longer then any other generation that proceeded it.

My kids for instance born after 2002 are part of what is sometimes called the iGen, or the Millenials...

Even though its Wiki here is a good starting place for generations and their namings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Silent_Generation

Kera foehunter:

Well willmark i disagree !! the babyboomer Gave us the right of freedom . The baby boomer showed us what freedom is they gave us woman

the power to stand up for are rights …No other generation has done this!! Freedom marches for equal rights for all races. they gave us movie like Star War . And D and D and warhammer Vidio Games

they gave us Pc. they gave us rock and roll.they gave us the internet they gave us hot rods cars and war we could not win. and of course the cool colors.

not taken away from any generation and thanks the ww2 people for defending us!!. Iam letting you know not all hippies were pot smoking and drug taking people…

The Flying Beaver:

John Edwards has dropped out of the race as well. I’ve transferred my vote to Obama.

Willmark:

Well willmark i disagree !! the babyboomer Gave us the right of freedom . The baby boomer showed us what freedom is they gave us woman
the power to stand up for are rights ...No other generation has done this!! Freedom marches for equal rights for all races. they gave us movie like Star War . And D and D and warhammer Vidio Games
they gave us Pc. they gave us rock and roll.they gave us the internet they gave us hot rods cars and war we could not win. and of course the cool colors.
not taken away from any generation and thanks the ww2 people for defending us!!. Iam letting you know not all hippies were pot smoking and drug taking people..

Kera foehunter
Kera not looking to start a fight, just some counter-points

1) It could be argued the womens movement began and gained its highest point in perhaps the early 1900's. Hell, the Temperance Movement resulting in the Volstead Act (i.e. Prohibition) was a result of women standing up for themselves and the amendment for the right to vote (among other things). This begs the question of whether or not this was already underway by the 60's, my contention is nothing happens overnight. It could also conceivably be argue that the females of the WWII generation really go the ball rolling for the Baby boom women when they went to work in the factories while the men went off to war.

2) Cultural impact perhaps significant for the Boomers, but IMHO no way equals fighting WWII and saving it from the most tyrannical and brutal regime the world had ever seen perhaps outside of the Stalin-era USSR. Surviving/growing up in the worst economic loom so much larger then teh internet, Star wars etc. While culturally significant isn't of the same order of magnitude. Ask teh question if there were no Star wars, internet etc, would teh world still carry on? Yes. If the Allies had lost WWII would any of us be here????

My main beef is this; the "Self Absorbed" generation tends to overstate their own sense of self importance and accomplishments. While when compared to the generation they followed is no-where near as impressive, as always, your mileage may vary.

gIL^:

im from uk so i need some info, which one is most likely to invade north korea?

cornixt:

Edwards is out. So, as a white man, I could vote for Obama (who is a man) or Clinton (who is white). Oh wait, maybe people in the real world don’t vote for people who are the same race or sex as themselves and might vote on the candidate’s non-superficial qualities. Damn you media!

Willmark:

Edwards never really had a shot IMHO.