[Archive] Warhammer Adventures

Dînadan:

Black Library have just announced they�?Tre releasing a range of books aimed at younger readers (age 8-12):

Home - Warhammer Adventures

Thommy H:

Absolutely living for how grumpy this is making some of the cave-dwellers on Dakka.

Dînadan:

Absolutely living for how grumpy this is making some of the cave-dwellers on Dakka.

Thommy H
Isn�?Tt it easy to make them grumpy though? ;P Been keeping an eye on the AT thread there and there�?Ts so many being grumpy over the idea of it expanding into Epic one day. The real test will be if when more is revealed about these books it�?Tll give them an aneurysm. :P

Admiral:

Heh. Worth a shot.

Children as protagonists in 40k could work extremely well to uncover the sheer horror, fanaticism and misery of that setting, if handled like the Swedish author Olov Svedelid handled his historical novels for children. He wrote for adults as well, and they were filled with lurid, shocking, bloody and oppressive bits to boot, with filth and stern harshness and disease and hunger shining through. His books for children were no less true and harsh than his books for adults, just written from child’s perspective:

You had a protagonist whose valiant and sympathetic peasant father participated in a revolt against the crown, and thus getting beheaded at the end of the book while the protagonist lived. You had a boy seeing all his male kinsmen slaughtered in the massacre that was the battle of Visby, waking in a shallow mass grave to a sunny day at the end of the book after passing out unconscious from some glancing mace blow or another. You had another boy whose sister got hired as a servant at the royal castle, becoming the mad king’s mistress, whereupon the boy got hired as well, being led as a participant and informer into a net of intrigue and torture as an apprentice to a Machiavellian advisor to the king. No happy ending there! In another book, the protagonist was smacked hard by his stern father while the two were out foraging for food in war-torn Poland; the father went through the ice and drowned right at the start of the novel, leaving his son with that stark memory in mind for the march across the Belts. These are all books filled with drunkenness, violence, mice, rats, lice, filth, savage ravages of raiding, blood baths, executions, torture, medical unanaesthetized amputation, starvation, beset armies freezing to death in snow storms, plots, lies, fear, poverty, crime, rowdy soldiers, attention to detail, completely faithful worldview for the times concerned, pomp and majesty, brilliant colourful descriptions and utter realism. War, disease and hunger for power are all revealed in their raw nature, all seen through children’s eyes. Good books to grow up by, and hardening stories.

A pity they’ve never been translated into English, because I wish I could point you to English translations.

Something of the kind would be perfect for 40k. An author like Matthew Farrer could handle it without trouble. Not that I expect the adventure books here to be of the kind (they might be fun enough in a more lighthearted wish fulfilment way, who knows?), but just mentioning: Children as protagonists in 40k is not a stupid concept in and of itself.

Dînadan:

Also remember Fairy Stories we fell to kids who aren�?Tt even old enough to read can be pretty grim - a witch fattening children to eat them only for them to shove her into her own oven and leaving her to cook to death, a wolf eating a granny just so he ham eat the granddaughter, etc.

As for those griping about Slaanesh being inappropriate, a) they�?Tre wilfully ignoring that there�?Ts more than sex and drugs to Slaanesh, b) clearly they�?Tve never watched a Carry On… film, the filthiest family friendly films you�?Tll ever see and c) there�?Ts no reason Slaanesh ever has to feature anyway, the settings are large enough that (s)he never has to show up in any of these books.

Also, as someone over on Dakka pointed out, back in the day things like Terminator and Robocop had swarthes of merchandise marketed towards kids who were far too young to go see the actual films. I remember watching Conan the Barbarian cartoons as a nipper; sure it was toned down compared to the original stories or the Swatzenager film, but it still showed violence.

And talking about cartoons and violence, I have two words - Loony Tunes.

Admiral:

Yep. I’m wondering if GW shouldn’t try some comic books aimed at children while they’re about it. The 40k universe is visually fleshed out to a detailed spectacle, and we all love good visuals. Excellent backdrop, whatever the stories set in them turn out to be. Come to think of it, I once saw people wondering why GW is not pushing the comic medium more over their “mediocre novels”, although the actual wording was a lot less benevolent as regards Black Library books.

No reason to groan. A dud is a dud and quickly forgotten. A success lives on by virtue of its quality. Expand the franchise or die. GW have well-developed settings, so better make use of them with the throw-spaghetti-at-the-wall principle: See what sticks, and develop it further. Actually a bit curious to read the 40k book to see what on earth it is.

Edit: Thommy, you said something there about Dakka… bring the popcorn and watch the show unfold in raging ultrarapid. :cheers

Skink:

I absolutely love Rountree. It is thanks to ideas like this that in 3 years he manged to undo basically all the damage done by Kirby.

Dînadan:

I absolutely love Rountree. It is thanks to ideas like this that in 3 years he manged to undo basically all the damage done by Kirby.

Skink
Random thought; new nickname for Kirby - New Coke Kirby. ;P

Thommy H:

Lot of people mad that their super serious setting is going to be made fun for children. We wouldn’t want to dilute the heavyweight backstory that brought us Tic-tac-toe the humanoid lizard that rides on a pterodactyl, or Raven Raven the primarch of the Raven Guard and Iron Hands the primarch of the Iron Hands. Heaven forfend the universes that gave us squig hoppers, nuns with guns who fire missiles from a tank using a giant church organ and “Sly Marbo” should be made to look in any way silly.

Admiral:

New heights reached with the rage-o-meter if protagonists meet the mysterious Jokaero. :smiley:

Dînadan:

Lot of people mad that their super serious setting is going to be made fun for children. We wouldn't want to dilute the heavyweight backstory that brought us Tic-tac-toe the humanoid lizard that rides on a pterodactyl, or Raven Raven the primarch of the Raven Guard and Iron Hands the primarch of the Iron Hands. Heaven forfend the universes that gave us squig hoppers, nuns with guns who fire missiles from a tank using a giant church organ and "Sly Marbo" should be made to look in any way silly.

Thommy H

You forgot to mention the über-serious literature that brought us Ciaphas Cain, HERO IF THE IMPERIUM!

Speaking of which, it�?Ts also the setting with highbrow humour such as an ice world called �?~Brass Monkey�?T.

Edit: Speaking of Cain, just saw on the Dakka thread someone bemoaning that it wouldn�?Tt be the same setting if the commissar doesn�?Tt execute the kid protagonists out of hand; clearly said person has never read a Cain novel as I can�?Tt imagine Cain just executing them out of hand. Sure if they were proven Chaos worshipers or Genestealer Cultists he�?Td execute them without hesitation, but otherwise I just don�?Tt see it; and that�?Ts not even a �?~keeping his public image up�?T thing, I just don�?Tt see him executing them without a good reason. Heck I can even see him jumping in between them and a bloodthirster and duelling it to death without a second thought and later trying to claim he only did it to keep his image up. And there�?Ts no reason any commissars or Inquisitors the kids meet (and considering the size of the Imperium there�?Ts no reason they have to run into any anyway) couldn�?Tt be similarly circumspect and let them off lightly/turn a blind eye/etc.

Abecedar:

You forgot to mention the über-serious literature that brought us Ciaphas Cain, HERO IF THE IMPERIUM!

Speaking of which, it�?Ts also the setting with highbrow humour such as an ice world called �?~Brass Monkey�?T.

Edit: Speaking of Cain, just saw on the Dakka thread someone bemoaning that it wouldn�?Tt be the same setting if the commissar doesn�?Tt execute the kid protagonists out of hand; clearly said person has never read a Cain novel as I can�?Tt imagine Cain just executing them out of hand. Sure if they were proven Chaos worshipers or Genestealer Cultists he�?Td execute them without hesitation, but otherwise I just don�?Tt see it; and that�?Ts not even a �?~keeping his public image up�?T thing, I just don�?Tt see him executing them without a good reason. Heck I can even see him jumping in between them and a bloodthirster and duelling it to death without a second thought and later trying to claim he only did it to keep his image up. And there�?Ts no reason any commissars or Inquisitors the kids meet (and considering the size of the Imperium there�?Ts no reason they have to run into any anyway) couldn�?Tt be similarly circumspect and let them off lightly/turn a blind eye/etc.

Dînadan
Cain was fun

Dînadan:

Cain was fun

Abecedar
Is. There�?Ts a new book coming out soon. ;)

Dînadan:

Aaron Demski-Bowden has weighed in on this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/adembskibowden/status/998625815695908866

Thommy H:

It’s basically just The 2010s Internet Part 17,000,000 - angsty little neckbeards annoyed because a media property they like has the audacity to create a product that isn’t actually marketed to them personally. See also: Ghostbusters, Star Wars, video games, comics…

This isn’t even the first GW-related one this month! On Dakka there’s another multi-page thread about the Warhammer leggings. It doesn’t affect anyone’s life in any way, but they’re all angry because it’s not something they would ever buy.

Dînadan:

One thing I find laughable in the Dakka thread (or was it Bolter&Chainsword?) is all the people claiming the choices of having a diverse cast and things like one character hating weapons is GW trying to politicise the books. I can only roll my eyes at such statements - why does diversity have to be such an issue; having characters with a spread of ethnicities is a good thing not a political one in my book.

And as for the character who hates weapons…how is that a political statement exactly? Moreover why do all these people assume that just because the character hates weapons, that automatically makes her a pacifist? Batman is staunchly anti-gun, but you can�?Tt by any means call him a pacifist; nor can you claim his hatred of firearms is a political statement by DC in an attempt to sway kids into supporting the anti-gun side of the gun debate in America (haven�?Tt checked but it wouldn�?Tt surprise me that the majority of those playing the politics card are Americans and that non-Americans have less of an issue with this aspect

Thommy H:

Remember: being white, straight and male is politically neutral. Anything that caters to any other audience is just pandering.

Skink:

I fail to understand how banning guns is, for a british company, a political statement. As far as i understand gun control is enforced in the UK, isn’t it?

But i digress. People whined (and still whine) about AoS. Wasn’t expecting these books to be received with a standing ovation either.

Uther the unhinged:

Not looked at Dakka but now tempted to, to find �?~neckbeards�?T.

The thing about groups/clubs/fanbases/gangs is that they do mot define themselves by who they let in but by who they exclude. By excluding others they keep themselves �?~special�?T.

Don�?Tt do 40k but when it comes to diversity are eldar acceptable but girls and children not. I wonder if only non real diversity is acceptable?

Fotumately cdo are fine with diversity we take evil dwarfs with ANY type of hat

Ghrask Dragh:

cdo are fine with diversity we take evil dwarfs with ANY type of  hat

Uther
Quote of the decade!!!
:):):)