[Archive] Warhammer and Our World

Balseraph:

Warhammer world is a reflection of our own - I think :slight_smile:

I recently wondered how to allocate the race - state of Warhammer.

Naggaroth and Dark elves is the North Americas but whether Americans or Canadians?

Lustria and Lizardmans are South America and is Brazil?

High Elves of Ulthuan is probably Atlantis?

Albion is England.

Norsca is the Scandinavian countries but are Nowegia or Sweden or perhaps Finland?

Estalia is Spain.

Tile is Italy.

Bretonnia is France.

Empire is Germany or the old German Empire. Ind is an India.

Nippon is Japan.

Khuresh is Korea?

Cathay is China.

Khmeri is probably Egypt.

And how to allocate the rest?

Araby?

Kingdom of Dwarves?

Kislev?

And our Chaos Dwarfs?

Kislev is probably Kievan Rus. Or some Russian, some Polish and some in Ukraine.

Chaos Dwarfs are probably old Sumeria, Persia - todayā€™s Iraq perhaps.

Araby and Dwarfs and of course Chaos :slight_smile: ā€¦ I donā€™t knowā€¦

What do you think? Do you have other ideas on how to deploy it all, and these missing?

Gavan Sing:

I would say Khuresh is more IndoChina, combination of Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam

Warlord Zharhak

snowblizz:

Warhammer world is a reflection of our own - I think :)

What do you think? Do you have other ideas on how to deploy it all, and these missing?

Balseraph
Careful though. These things tend to go awry... I've seen flamewars started that way.

What exactly is your question? Warhammer IS inspired by the real world, but only in a very "vague" sense. It is more about "themes" and "ideas" than solid real places.
Probably the most controversial and least "fitting" are the Dark Elves in what we would identify as Canada. Not saying Xander IS a Dark Elf, but hey, you know... its on the map right? ;P

Chaos Dwarfs are, in relation, placed where Assyrian/Babylonian/etc cultures were and thus loan their imagery from there. Just as Lizardmen lend imagery from the ancient South American cultures.
Bretonnia isn't exactly France, it is the idea of the high-medieval chivalry (Now properly Warhammer gritty-fied) as practised in most European countries located to an approximation of France. It has more to do with the Arthurian legends (though those were technically French weren't they?) than what WE identify as France.

High Elves borrow a lot from ancient Greek mythology and the idea of Atlantis.

Of the ones you didn't list, e.g. Araby is quite simply the idea of Far East/Araby as seen through various stories. They have deserts, genies, Sultans etc etc. Even Bretonnian crusades!

slev:

Iā€™m with Snowblizz is saying about the generalities.

Further, your nations are a little overly modern.

The New World and Lustria are the Americas after the Vikings discovered them but before Columbus did.

Isles of Albion = British Isles;

Ultuan = Atlantis

Wasteland = the low countries;

Norsica = the Nordic countries

The Empire = the Holy Roman Empire/Germaina

Kislev = Russia

Brettonia/Bretonnia = Pre-Revolutionary France/Malorian Arthurian France

Tilia = Italian city states

Estalia = Spanish city states

Sartosa = Sicily infested with Pirates

The Boarder Princes = Asia Minor

Lands of the Dead = Egypt

Araby = Arabia

Ind = India

The Southlands = Africa

Nippon = Japan

Cathay = China

Dolgany = Russian Steppes/Monguls

Southern Wastes = Antartica

Lustria = Mesoamerica/Aztec/Mayans/Toltec s/et al

New World = Native American Tribes

Xhuresh = Somethig that was only recently labelled, no-one really knows what it is yet

Khunag:

Kislev = Russia
Kislev is not Russia, it's a mix of all Slavic nations, but there's more Polish influences then Russian.

Balseraph:

It is more about "themes" and "ideas" than solid real places.

snowblizz
I know it's only ideas. The word "reflection" I mean exactly the same reflection and positioning of continental countries and breeds in these locations. Although the location of certain countries and races is a real reflection of our world, such as Persia and chaos dwarves, Japan and Nippon etc etc. .. I know that the history of the races / countries in Warhammer differs from our own history but have similarities.

But...

Where you put Dwarfs and Ogre Kingdom? :) Geographically, where would you put them?

Baggronor:

Ogres I assume would be western China and the Himalayas, hence the Yetis, sorry ā€˜Yheteesā€™ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dwarfs look kinda Nordic/Viking-ish but they donā€™t really have as much clearly-marked territory like humans do, as much of their kingdom is underground.

What exactly is your question? Warhammer IS inspired by the real world, but only in a very ā€œvagueā€ sense. It is more about ā€œthemesā€ and ā€œideasā€ than solid real places.

Probably the most controversial and least ā€œfittingā€ are the Dark Elves in what we would identify as Canada.
Ye, some parts of it are obviously inspired by human history, others are straight fantasy.

kerbak:

I Agree completely that the warharmer world its obviusly based on our world,

regarding the impire you must remember that on 5th edition it has spain and german figures, and it was based on Charles V which was ruler of german and spain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_V,_Holy_Roman_Emperor

Zanko:

I think the Polish winged hussars are the models for the kislevite riders!

ā€¦ so the russians arenĀ“t the equivalent of the kilevites!

IMO the communistic Russia was the equivalent of the Chaos guys!

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  :hashut

wallacer:

Shockingly there is no equivalent of Australia or New Zealand on that map. An unbelievable omission.

cornixt:

It is only very loosely based on the real world. The armies have imagery from anywhere in history and several thousand miles away from the apparent locations, many of which seem wrong to us but are perfectly fine for a fantasy world.

The Poles and the western Russians have far more in common than the eastern Russians and the western Russians.

Gar Shadowfame:

Actualy, academicaly speaking, and i have a mate doing his MA on Eastern Studies, Polan are not eastern european country, we dont hare same psychosocial features, and we are catholic, unlike rest. Kislev is based on I Republic of Two Nations, + cosaks (who were ethnic minority on Ukraine, and both were under Polish/Lithuanian Rule) much like Welsh under English, or early American Colonies.

black hammer:

I just donā€™t see how naggaroth is based on north america. Unless the

British think of us as evil traitors that became corrupted and then rebelled.

Hashutā€™s Blessing:

I think itā€™s more a case of the shape of the Warhammer World is based on that of the continents on Earth. They correspond as slev has said and New Zealand/Australia is likely to be Kuresh. The Chaos Wastes and ā€œHere be Daemonsā€ are simply the pole continents.

As for RACES being allocated, itā€™s not quite the same as where their realms are locatedā€¦

Lastly, Albion isnā€™t England at all. One of the Isles of Albion WAS Ireland (perhaps only Northern, I forget) and the remaining one is Scotland.

Warhammerman:

Actually dark elves are the United States of America. :stuck_out_tongue: just joking. I am American so I have the right to insult my country. :cheers

I think locations are kind of like our world, but every army borrows things from lots of different cultures in the real world. Dwarfs are sort of a mix of a lot of things IMO.

The Norscan ones are vikings, the Old World ones are a mix of several things. I think Skaven are sort of like Communist China.

slev:

Actualy, academicaly speaking, and i have a mate doing his MA on Eastern Studies, Polan are not eastern european country, we dont hare same psychosocial features, and we are catholic, unlike rest. Kislev is based on I Republic of Two Nations, + cosaks (who were ethnic minority on Ukraine, and both were under Polish/Lithuanian Rule) much like Welsh under English, or early American Colonies.

Gar Shadowfame
Indeed, according to the background, there are three different peoples living there, who have interbred to a small degree, the dominant cultural group being analogous to Tsarist Russia, hence my (over-simplified) point.

Baggronor:

Unless the
Surely not! :cheers
Polan are not eastern european country
? Its a country, and its in eastern Europe isn't it?
Shockingly there is no equivalent of Australia or New Zealand on that map. An unbelievable omission.
Aren't the Lost Isles of Elithis Australia/New Zealand?

Gar Shadowfame:

Poland is in central europe, and ethnographicaly we are central too, eastern europe starts in Bilarussia, Ukraine and ends with Ural mountains.

AGPO:

wallacer
No ommision, just our latesttactic to win at cricket and rugby - abolish you! :D
I just don't see how naggaroth is based on north america. Unless the

black hammer
Well now you mention it... ;)

Balseraph:

Poles are Slavs - not to be confused with the Slovaks and Slovenia and live in central Europe.

And here polar bears donā€™t running around the streets :wink:

and we are catholic
Polish kingdom (when it was ā€œboth nationsā€ in times of Polish Nobility and the earlier and later) has always been a multi ethnic and multi cultural and multi religious - and probably the most tolerant in the world.That was :slight_smile: Currently living here, and Catholics and Orthodox and Protestants and atheists etc etc etc and the impossibility say that Poland is a Catholic country. Poland is a secular country with a pagan roots and with Catholic tradition :slight_smile: as many countries in the world :slight_smile:

But we deviate from the topicā€¦
the dominant cultural group being analogous to Tsarist Russia, hence my (over-simplified) point.
But only because the power there have tzar and tzarina. if the ruler was a King - russia would not be seen in this army.

In Kislev army book there are only 3 things from russia : tzar, tzarina and one regiment(or none), 2-3 inspired by Ukrainian Cosaks and 2-3 inspired by Polish hussars - if I remember.

Today I found information on the Wiki so - Originally Hobgoblins in the Warhammer Universe were inspired by Mongol empire-

Are Orcs and goblins were inspired by something? or maybe these races are, total fabrication, without any inspiration?