[Archive] Warhammer and Our World

Willmark:

Obviously it’s more then that but yeah there are some similarities.

cornixt:

O&G generally speak like uncouth Londoners, and other estuary English speakers from the surrounding areas. Savage Orcs are based on the colonial impressions of African natives, Forest Goblins similarly on Native Americans.

Balseraph:

cornixt: Do I sense a slight note of irony? If not I apologize, but this looks a little :wink:

snowblizz:

O&G generally speak like uncouth Londoners, and other estuary English speakers from the surrounding areas. Savage Orcs are based on the colonial impressions of African natives, Forest Goblins similarly on Native Americans.

cornixt
According to Gav (IIRC) O&Gs are somehow based on Scots. Though I can't see how. Beastmen borrow from Germanic tribes, the battle of Teutogen forest being central to the inspiration of at least the 6th ed version.

cornixt:

No irony, being brought up from around there it is pretty recognisable. Chav-speak and greenskin-speak are almost interchangable.

Dats der stuff, innit guv.

Dwarfs are far closer to the Scots, lots of Yorkshire (and generic Northern England) in there too.

AGPO:

and we are catholic
Polish kingdom (when it was "both nations" in times of Polish Nobility and the earlier and later) has always been a multi ethnic and multi cultural and multi religious - and probably the most tolerant in the world.That was :) Currently living here, and Catholics and Orthodox and Protestants and atheists etc etc etc and the impossibility say that Poland is a Catholic country. Poland is a secular country with a pagan roots and with Catholic tradition :) as many countries in the world :)

Balseraph
Well said! My country of all nations knows what comes from defining nations or people by their religion or ethnic origin. Yes quite a large percentage of Poles are Catholics, it doesn't make it a "Catholic Country."

Bassman:

Yes quite a large percentage of Poles are Catholics, it doesn't make it a "Catholic Country."

AGPO
If our Italian politicians would think like you my country would be a much better place to live in! :(

Nice reading Balseraph, I like to read this kind of stuff.... :hat off

It's nice to compare actual countries to Warhammer countries but not take it too seriously ;P
otherwise I'd really be scared to go to Canada..... :o :o:o :o

Gar Shadowfame:

and we are catholic
Polish kingdom (when it was "both nations" in times of Polish Nobility and the earlier and later) has always been a multi ethnic and multi cultural and multi religious - and probably the most tolerant in the world.That was :) Currently living here, and Catholics and Orthodox and Protestants and atheists etc etc etc and the impossibility say that Poland is a Catholic country. Poland is a secular country with a pagan roots and with Catholic tradition :) as many countries in the world :)

Balseraph
Well said! My country of all nations knows what comes from defining nations or people by their religion or ethnic origin. Yes quite a large percentage of Poles are Catholics, it doesn't make it a "Catholic Country."

AGPO
tss tss, guys, its not about recent cross in schools thing, Poland is a catholic country cos we have
a) catholic tradition
b) catholic history
c) majority declares themselves catholic

It does not mean we are radical or our laws are based on 10 commandements, it means Poland belonges to certain cultural circle, along with western countries (western of europe).
Eastern europe has different common background of last 1000 years, so they belong to different cultural circle.

Border Reiver:

I remember an article by Gav Thorpe where he said the inspiration for part of the Orc And Goblins were the stereotypical views of the Germanic Barbarians (ie. violent and always fighting - as seen from the POV of the Roman Empire, the periodic invasions of the “civilized” world, etc).

Now if that were true, Karl Franz would be negotiating with some of the tribal leaders of the O&G to set them up as buffer states for the Empire and using them to stop further incursions. Wait a minute, that would make for an interesting twist…

Now as to the Americans being traitorous rebels - they were, but since they were successful rebels (unlike the Dark Elves) they don’t get called that unless someone (like say, me who’s obviously doing this really tongue in cheek) is trying to get a rise.

AGPO:

It's nice to compare actual countries to Warhammer countries but not take it too seriously ;P
otherwise I'd really be scared to go to Canada..... :o :o:o :o

Bassman
"Yes, it'll be a long time 'til I want to sacrifice another monkey..."
"WE SAID WE WOULD NEVER MENTION CANADA!!!!"
That will only make sense to those who've seen Black Books...

slev:

My comments on Kislev where, FTR, based not on the WA book, but the other source materials, most notably the 1st ed WFRP book “Something Rotten in Kislev”.

Skitter:

No flamewar so far :slight_smile:

In these kind of debates I wonder why allways some Americans take offense to Dark Elves being placed roughly in what is North America. Yet I never see Scandinavians taking offense to being compared to Chaos worshiping raiders spreading death and devastation far and wide.

kerbak:

I also wonder with USA call them selves Americans, if they are just one of the countris on the Americas,

even so there is no similitud with north america and Drak elves, and the land looks like north of canada and Alaska than USA… seems that they skip this modern country, and leve space for cold areas (Naggaroth), an then the rest for lisard men which are very inspired on precolumbian races…

Im from Chile, on the southest part of South america, and for Us there is definitly nothing than a bunch of lizardmen go around here,we doent exist on warhammer world :o

cornixt:

I also wonder with USA call them selves Americans, if they are just one of the countris on the Americas,,,

kerbak
"United States of American" is a bit of a mouthful so they lop off the front bit.

Baggronor:

Yet I never see Scandinavians taking offense to being compared to Chaos worshiping raiders spreading death and devastation far and wide.
In my experience, they love it :)

Skitter:

Probably because it is so far from todays reality…

diabloo23:

tss tss, guys, its not about recent cross in schools thing,  Poland is a catholic country cos we have
a) catholic tradition
b) catholic history
c) majority declares themselves catholic

It does not mean we are radical or our laws are based on 10 commandements, it means Poland belonges to certain cultural circle, along with western countries (western of europe).
Eastern europe has different common background of last 1000 years, so they belong to different cultural circle.

Gar Shadowfame
Ad. a) go back to school
Ad. b) once again - go back to school (wise prince Mieszko the 1-st -in 996 I remind You- took batism becouse he wanted to avoid assault from Germans)
Ad. c) in most of situation really fake

In the fact it means, that politics are even more radical and want base our law on 10 commandements. It's sad, but true... But people live their own lives and screw the system... Like century back. And like century back political issues get our country to catolical arms. But this time no one threating our country.

Gar Shadowfame
"You are stupid" (as saying House ;) ) - Orthodox Church is part of Christian Church the same as a Catholic Church - where in that is diffrent background? Where diffrent cultural circle?

Gar Shadowfame:

Ad. a) go back to school
Ad. b) once again - go back to school (wise prince Mieszko the 1-st -in 996 I remind You- took batism becouse he wanted to avoid assault from Germans)
Ad. c) in most of situation really fake
Stop playing smart, if u want to counter my argument, say something reasonable, or be quiet.
"You are stupid" (as saying House ) - Orthodox Church is part of Christian Church the same as a Catholic Church - where in that is diffrent background? Where diffrent cultural circle?
Flames of war has begun. My dear simple friend, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East-West_Schism do your reading then try to quote tv, preferably some character thats says "i'm sorry".

Baggronor:

Flames of war has begun.
They must follow you around. Take it somewhere else please guys.

diabloo23:

Stop playing smart, if u want to counter my argument, say something reasonable, or be quiet.

Gar Shadowfame
Say what? Argument? You have to point argument, because i dont see any arguments on your side. Even in sentence quote up.