[Archive] What do you think my CD army is worth?

Ubercat:

I’ve been considering selling it on Ebay for about 4 years now, but haven’t gotten around to it, yet. Here’s the description text I wrote a few years ago that explains what is included.

------------------------------------------------------

This army was 3 years in the painting. Now you can benefit from my perfectionism! All models are completely assembled, painted and finished, unless otherwise stated.

Chaos Dwarf Lord on Bull Taurus, with removable standard

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lord on Lammasu (Mount and Sorcerer are partly painted, Sorcerer is not mounted)

customized Bull Centaur Lord (he is rearing, has removable standard, and can also be used as Battle Standard Bearer, or Hero)

Chaos Dwarf Lord on foot (shield came off, needs glue)

2 Chaos Dwarf Heroes on foot

1 Astrogoth (I don’t believe special rules were made for him in 6th ed., but can be used as Sorcerer on foot.

1 CD Sorcerer on foot (mostly painted)

customized Hobgoblin Hero, leader of the gits, with 2 hand weapons (one of his hands came off, needs glue)

2 Chaos Dwarf Musicians

2 Chaos Dwarf Standard Bearers (one is only partly painted, and needs banner on his banner pole)

21 Chaos Dwarf Warriors (axe and shield)

25 Chaos Dwarf Warriors (blunderbuss)

9 Bull Centaurs (incl. Std. Bearer) (with BC lord, makes unit of 10)

15 Black Orcs (incl. 2 Heroes, Std, and Musician)

35 Sneaky Gits (incl. Std. Bearer and Musician) (With hero, makes unit of 36)

2 Earthshakers

2 Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers

2 Death Rockets (One Rocket and Crew is unassembled, bare metal. Other is partly assembled and painted, while its crew is completely finished.

(bonus) 2 Orcs I painted for Mordheim.

Custom movement trays for Chaos Dwarf Warriors (unit of 24), Black Orcs (unit of 15), Bull Centaurs (unit of 10), Sneaky Gits (unit of 36)

5th Edition Chaos Dwarf army book

Ravening Hordes army book, which includes Chaos Dwarves rules for 6th ed.

A sample 2000 point army list, made with Army Builder 3.0. (This force could probably be stretched to 2500 pts. or so, with the addition of an extra core unit. I.e. break the large warrior unit in two, or else buy a few more Chaos Dwarf Warriors.

-----------------------------------------------------

And here’s some pic’s. Please don’t mind the disparity in sizes. They were taken with two different cameras in two different time periods. I just tried to take some new ones, but it appears that the camera I have now sucks. All banners were color photocopied from the CD army book, except the Black Orc one, which I scratchbuilt.

The whole army

Some command models

The Bull Taurus

One of the Earthshakers

Bull Centaurs

Steven:

Wow!  I don’t know what it’s worth, but it sure looks great!  It looks like this army is going for almost $1k and still a couple days to go…

http://tinyurl.com/4pse7u

And nothing painted there though I think he probably has a few more figs.  

Your paint job is quite good though, so I imagine that could add a bit to the value.  Just off the top of my head I bet you could get $600-700 for it easily.  I’ve seen poorly painted very small armies for for well over $400 and that’s a steal as far as I’m concerned, so I am sure you could get at the very least $600-700 if not more.

Ubercat:

Wow! I don't know what it's worth, but it sure looks great! It looks like this army is going for almost $1k and still a couple days to go...

http://tinyurl.com/4pse7u

And nothing painted there though I think he probably has a few more figs.

Your paint job is quite good though, so I imagine that could add a bit to the value. Just off the top of my head I bet you could get $600-700 for it easily. I've seen poorly painted very small armies for for well over $400 and that's a steal as far as I'm concerned, so I am sure you could get at the very least $600-700 if not more.

Steven
Thank you for your praise!

Interesting. The two bidders for that army have very similar handles.

hashuts lil helper:

how many of the warriors are metal, it will make a big difference in price.

Ebay just randomly assigns those anon bidder abrevs.

Ubercat:

how many of the warriors are metal, it will make a big difference in price.

Ebay just randomly assigns those anon bidder abrevs.

hashuts lil helper
Ahhh! I did not realize they were anonymous.

Ten of the warriors are plastic. The very first mini's I bought for the army was a box of plastic warriors. I worked on those for ages trying to get the armor just right. It was during this period I made the startling discovery that trying to highlight red with light red made... wait for it.... pink! Anyhow, after I was satisfied with my technique, I filled out the army with all metal.

Willmark:

Metal definitely goes for more on vultureBay. If you do sell them two things:

1) Offer them here first as a courtesy to the site (of course only if you want to).

2) Sell it unit by unit, rather then the whole lot; you’ll maximize your profits that way.

Ubercat:

Metal definitely goes for more on vultureBay. If you do sell them two things:

1) Offer them here first as a courtesy to the site (of course only if you want to).
2) Sell it unit by unit, rather then the whole lot; you'll maximize your profits that way.

Willmark
Offering the army here is a good idea. I was starting to lean that way so offers are welcome.

I'm nervous about selling it on Ebay, as the auction might flop and I'd get burned. That's happened before to me. A few years ago I auctioned my full set of 40 MTG dual land cards and got a decent price. I think it was over $700. Later, I sold all my other rare cards and valuable uncommons and made, IIRC, less than $300. That was tragic. With all the time and work I put into this army, I don't want the same thing happening.

If I do auction it, I have to worry about the starting bid. Do I start low and hope I don't get taken to the cleaners? Do I start at a middling price and watch the bidding not start till the last minute, depriving myself of a possible bidding war? And god forbid I set a reserve and discourage potential bidders.

Thanks for the advice regarding selling it by units. I hadn't thought of that. Of course it makes shipping more difficult, as I'd planned on shipping the whole army in the 2 GW carrying cases that are holding it, inside a big box. Then I'd be left with 2 cases that have custom cut foam inserts for stuff I no longer own. Not a big deal, though. Easy enough to mail order replacement inserts.

The big problem is figuring out how to ship the units individually and safely. Any suggestions?

Xander:

Heck, if you are worried about a starting bid, you can state here what you want it to be, start the auction at 0 bucks, and if it doesn’t make it that high, I will vote 1000 bucks, and win, lol, then we call off the deal… All shady like, and you don’t get burned. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is that against eBay rules? I wonder. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hrothgar Goldgreed:

Remember you can put up an reserve. You don’t need to sell your army if the reserve is not met. Example: you want to sell this army for at least 650 USD. Over the 10 days, it slowly raises, from 100 to 200 to 300. It says “reserve not met” under the current offer. Say, at the end, you get ‘only’ 600 USD, you don’t need to sell it. If it reaches 750 USD, you’re very happy but you do need to sell it.

starscream:

As someone who is currently buying those very models on ebay at the moment (and selling off duplicates), I can definately say you are better off splitting it down. Not many people have the money to throw at a full army but there are lots of people out there who want bits of it.

Make sure you let us know as I’ll bid on your blunderbusses and hobgobs.

Ubercat:

As someone who is currently buying those very models on ebay at the moment (and selling off duplicates), I can definately say you are better off splitting it down. Not many people have the money to throw at a full army but there are lots of people out there who want bits of it.

Make sure you let us know as I'll bid on your blunderbusses and hobgobs.

starscream
I hear that the problem with reserves is that they discourage bidding.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to ship individual units without them getting banged up? The whole army would be easy, but I need an alternate plan if I'm splitting them up.

Ubercat:

Here’s a couple more pics I found.

cornixt:

Is that BC a conversion or related to this:

https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/7953

Ubercat:

Is that BC a conversion or related to this:
https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/7953

cornixt
It's not a special model. I traded with a friend for some of my CD's, including most of the BC's. He had traded someone else for them. I was planning on stripping and redoing them, anyway, so he gave them to me all in a paper bag. The BC hero was already converted. The metal strips attached to the legs on each side had been clipped from the front hooves and then the body bent back. Stripping dissolved the glue, so I just reassembled it.

Ubercat:

I just did some math. I added up rough calculations of the bare metal costs for all the units and came up with a total of $602. I don’t have my old catalogs any more, so I’m probably a bit off in some cases. The price doesn’t include the army book and custom move trays; just mini’s.

I’m leaning towards offering the whole army for $750, buyer pays shipping. $150 for three years of painting seems more than reasonable. I don’t know what shipping would cost, but I think insurance would be a grand idea as well. If there is serious interest here, then I will get the zip code(s) and take the works to the P.O. to check the shipping options and costs.

I just started a thread elsewhere in the forum, soliciting advice for how to ship individual units in case no one wants to buy the whole force.

Ubercat:

All right, not a peep of interest. I put together a list with prices broken down by unit and it doesn’t seem like I’d make any more money by offering individual units. I WOULD, however, incur a great deal more hassle. I’m now leaning towards offering the whole army on Ebay and setting a reserve so I don’t get ripped off too badly.

Here’s the breakdown list in case anyone is curious. I’ll wait a while. If serious interest is expressed in MOST of these units at these prices, then I’ll break up the army. Shipping will be payed by the buyers and I’ll explore the shipping options so we can agree how to send them. I prefer to sell it all, though. Not just a couple of key units.

Chaos Dwarf Lord on Bull Taurus with removable standard. $40

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer Lord on Lammasu. (Mount and Sorcerer are partly painted, Sorcerer is not mounted) $25

1 Astrogoth and a regular Sorcerer on foot. (The regular sorcerer is only partly painted.) $20

21 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with axe and shield (includes Lord, Hero, Musician and Standard. Also a custom movement tray. 10 warriors are plastic) $95

25 Chaos Dwarf Warriors with blunderbuss (includes Hero, Musician and Standard) $120

Only one of my CD Standard Bearers is completed. The other one is only partly painted and lacks a banner on its pole. Whichever CD Warrior unit sells first will get the completed Std. Bearer.

10 Bull Centaurs (incl. converted Lord and Std. Bearer. Lord has removable banner. Also a custom movement tray.) $120

15 Black Orcs (incl. 2 Heroes, Std. Bearer, and Musician. Also a custom movement tray.) $85

36 Sneaky Gits (incl. converted Hero, Std. Bearer and Musician. Also a custom movement tray.) $125

2 Earthshakers $60

2 Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers $25

2 Death Rockets (One Rocket and Crew is unassembled, bare metal. Other is partly assembled and painted, while its crew is completely finished.) $15

I also make one final offer of the entire army. Price is $700. It includes everything in the O/P, including the 2 GW carrying cases which are holding the army, that I forgot to mention.