[Archive] Why take Black Orcs?

Ubertechie:

He is a monster in combat - given that the threats to him are mostly shooting / magic (Rule of Burning Iron is fantastic against him) and we have thoose in spades he might be a bit un-fair from balance terms as combat is currently our weakest area.

For a themed game it could be great fun (pre-revolt black orc heavy CD army)

Groznit Goregut:

Most people who have played against Grimgor before just avoid him in combat. He’s M4, so unless you are not moving, he’s not that hard to get away from. If he starts to get close, you throw a chump unit at him and re-direct him.

Ubertechie:

Groznit

Avoiding him is a valid tactic but eventually you have to deal with him as him and his unit is a lot of points you need to claim to get a massacre. As long as you can either pick him out with magic or charge him in the side with a meaty combat unit he isn’t that bad to deal with. Charging him in the front however is tantamount to suicide as he eats characters and units alike with ease

Border Reiver:

The best way to deal with him (for us) involves an earthshaker to slow him down and a large number of blunderbussers to his front. He’s not so scary when the unit has been shot down around him.

BilboBaggins:

Flank his unit with a large unit or a Cav unit. Something that could either take a dead model or 3 and still win combat or has a very high AS and can kill a few Black Orcs.

Ubertechie:

The best way to deal with him (for us) involves an earthshaker to slow him down and a large number of blunderbussers to his front.  He's not so scary when the unit has been shot down around him.

Border Reiver
Actually he is worse by himself - 360 degree charge arc and he will almost always generate a combat res of 7 himself - on his own he has no unit to target to generate soft kills or a flank / rear

Groznit Goregut:

I have to admit that I should start using this guy against my neighbor. He is a power gamer and has no problems with special characters or 2 treemen w/ a forest dragon in a friendly game. I think Grimgor is just the thing to bring the beat-down on his WE or Doombull list.

BilboBaggins:

I thought Grimgor needed to be in his bodyguard unit of Black Orcs, I’m guessing I really need to read his rules. Whenever I see him in a game he’s in a unit of black orcs.

Groznit Goregut:

@BilboBaggins: He does have to be in a unit of at least 10 black orcs. The discussion about him on his own comes from this:

The best way to deal with him (for us) involves an earthshaker to slow him down and a large number of blunderbussers to his front.  He’s not so scary when the unit has been shot down around him.

Border Reiver
Ubertechie is saying that if you take away the unit he is with, you lose something that you can actually get some wounds with in combat to give you some CR. Also, he can charge 360 degrees when on his own.

Piccolo:

Grimgor does not have to be in a unit of black orcs, he can be on his own. However the black orc unit is the only one he can join should he choose to do so. If he does join the unit they will be immune to psychology and hate everyone. Also if u include Grimgor in your army you must include that unit as well, but it is not compulsory for Grimgor to join it.

BilboBaggins:

If he is by himself then you can target him with bowfire from cheap Hobgob units and eventually he will fail enough saves to die. :slight_smile: I think that is why I only see him in the unit.

TLTG:

I would think, rather than bows, it’s bolt throwers he’s trying to avoid. With 4 bolt throwers in your army, you’re pretty likely to kill him in a single turn and earn back triple the points value of your bolt throwers in the process.

That said, dropping rocks on his immortalz until he’s all by himself will also line him up for bolt throwers.

Azhag was the only orc special character I ever really liked. His flavor is cool, he’s pretty tough, and unlike a lot of other special characters has a good method of delivering his filthy beatdown to your enemy’s rear.

Ubertechie:

Most people take him and put him in the unit - the point I was making is that simply killing everything in the unit and leaving Grimgor by himself actually makes him better (360 degree charge arc - cannot be avoided in combat, no flank etc) than when he is in the unit

Groznit Goregut:

Grimgor does not have to be in a unit of black orcs, he can be on his own.

Piccolo
To quote the Orcs and Goblin army book:
Da Immortulz: There must be a unit of Black Orcs in Grimgor's army. This unit of Black Orcs are as scarred and grizzled as Grimgor, veterans of his days in the wastes...
...Grimgor may only join this unit, and no other character may do so. If he does so, the bodyguard will be Immune to Psychology and will Hate everyone.
Hmmm....I guess he can go on his own. I never thought about that before. Is there any reason he should go on his own, though?

CheTralfara:

yeah, like uber was saying, the bigger charge arc, the smaller flank size, the inability to gain soft kills for combat res.

All are reasons to have grimgor go solo.

Hey, I think you guys probably missed it because I typed so much other stuff, but I thought it’d be fun to hear your thoughts/ideas on this:

So now that we’ve basically realized that our little evil stunty bastards are not only daemonsmithies extrordinaire, but also little eugenicistic cultoid scum who have successfully created this breed/race/sub-species of ultra-orc, that we know as Black Orcs… I ask you…

Specifically how do you think we made them  ???.. ?

What type of sick unwilling experimentation directly resulted in the birth of these Dark & Focused Orcish Hulks.

Are they Testube Orcs?
- genetically engineered? perhaps there are daemonic sciences? arcane science?

Was it inbreeding?
- a common incestual birth defect being “giganticism”!

Maybe cross-breeding?
- an orc + a what? + a what? + a what?
(how many brutal beasts gotta boink an orc ta getta blork?)

One thing is for certain, the Chaos Dwarf eugenics program must be equally clandestine as it’s real-world counterpart… for ominous mystery and ambiguous rumor surrounds the Chaos Dwarf origins of the Black Orc race.

— What does “WDP:Chaos Dwarfs” have to say about it?

Groznit Goregut:

Oh, I figure it’s a mix of chemical mutation, a blast of sorcery, and a touch of warpstone thrown in the mix to make the Black Orcs.

cornixt:

--- What does "WDP:Chaos Dwarfs" have to say about it?

CheTralfara
Selective breeding and evil magic. Vague enough to be anything from husbandry to genetic manipulation.

jolpis:

must be bretty hard to do selective breeding on orcs, they are

BilboBaggins:

must be bretty hard to do selective breeding on orcs, they are

jolpis
Watch were you say that, I've seen people blast posts when they were joking about it.

I think it's a combination of selective breeding and Magic.

Piccolo:

an extract from the RPG rulebook, I love the vague suggestion of chaos dwarfs :cheers