[Archive] World Cup- 2010

Willmark:

I'll probably watch england if we get to the semi finals.  Although it's looking highly likely we won't.

Grimstonefire
I think you'll have more luck rooting for the Colonials. Clever idea to have the colonists play as well and just call them separate teams.

snowblizz
Who are these "Colonials" you speak of? :)

Baggronor:

Who are these "Colonials" you speak of?
You'll always be the colonies to us :)

Willmark:

Oh that’s right you were those guys that tried to make us kiss the king’s feet! We had enough of that crap and Washington jacked up Cornwallis at Yorktown.

Fequiil:

Oh that's right you were those guys that tried to make us kiss the king's feet! We had enough of that crap and Washington jacked up Cornwallis at Yorktown.

Willmark
yes, after we swamped you guys fur Suriname:P

clam Wrote:
Btw: we let you win - so you can play Spain in the 1/4 finals - lol

clam
yeah, right!
now you guys are gonna have to beat Japan!
smart chose, trieing to beat japan!

Obsidian:

Oh that's right you were those guys that tried to make us kiss the king's feet! We had enough of that crap and Washington jacked up Cornwallis at Yorktown.

Willmark

Fequiil
I guess you mean swapped right? But I have to say that was the WORST swap ever allright!;)

clam:

yeah, right!
now you guys are gonna have to beat Japan!
smart chose, trieing to beat japan!

Fequiil
With our golden boy 'Rommedahl' and 'Bendtner' almost fit for fight - I say we have a chance :D

But we will all know, in 48 hours.

Ronshank:

I’ve been watching why do they not use video refs? automatic red cards for things that on the video didn’t even happen tick me off alot and I have to be up at crazy times to watch my team. Having said that soccers not really my kind of sport but I hate how so clalled ‘world class’ countries never seem to have many of these questionable decisions but smaller developing soccer nations seem to have one almost every match. I guess my side just aren’t as good a faking as the other teams but it bugs me when one side gets a red thats questionable when the tv cameras catch 100% red card (or at least a yellow) and they’re not even noticed. Teams should be allowed 2 video ref calls in those circumstances, it’s weird that they are not used.

I’m kinda hoping Denmark goes well this cup as they haven’t been in the comp for such a long time, kinda sad that Korea got knocked off when all the soccer news had the Korean player crying during the national athem. I hope a couple of little teams do well as long as that happens I’m happy

snowblizz:

I’ve been wondering about the video as well. I’ve also seen a couple very odd calls that no-one except the judges seemed to understand.

Of the “big” nations at least France had a couple of harsh judgements, but they sucked so badly and have been so in chaos no-one has noticed.

When the wrong guy is almost walking off the field thinking he was getting a red card and none of the commentators even understood wth was going on you have to wonder.

As my dad said, football players have to be the world’s most fragile sportsmen.

I have to say they seem more inclined to wave their hands like schoolchildren wanting teacher to come help them with free-kicks than actually working to get the ball into a good position.

Maybe they could start throwing people out for limited periods of time, like icehockey.

Willmark:

Couldn’t agree more, those are reasons why it will never catch on in America.

1) Off sides. Hockey got rid of it and it opened up the game. FIFA should look into it. Of course purists will say this will dramatically change the game. Precisely.
2) The Diving. there are more actors then in all of Hollywood on the pitch right now.
3) Instant replay. USA vs Slovenia proved the need for that.

Easy way to solve #2: Red Card. Video catches you with an “injury”, Red Card time. Problem solved once certain teams have to play 3-4 men down. After match review can then determine the severity of suspensions if need to be to remove this behavior from the game. If you’re actually hurt… not sure. Its rare to see actual injuries :wink:

richard barby:

Ok whose watching? I just watched the US get robbed.... complete and utter crap.

And on a side note keep it clean everyone as tensions can run high ;)

Willmark
what game where you watching england had the better of that game they have been garbage since and it wont be footballs coming home atfer the first round it will where going home 44 years of hurt

cornixt:

I’m sure he means the US vs Slovenia game. The ref was so out of his depth, I’m sure he was actually just a token African referee (I don’t mean that in a racist way, I mean that South Africa wanted to load up on refs from their continent and he was from Mali).

Hopefully none of it will matter in the end and both USA and England go through after todays games.

Willmark:

Ok whose watching? I just watched the US get robbed.... complete and utter crap.

And on a side note keep it clean everyone as tensions can run high ;)

Willmark
what game where you watching england had the better of that game they have been garbage since and it wont be footballs coming home atfer the first round it will where going home 44 years of hurt

richard barby
The US vs Slovenia game is what I was watching.

Willmark:

Seriously who is paying off the refs this WC? Disallowed goal again?

Still we made it through to the round of 16, go Yanks.

Ronshank:

My teams out but personally I want to strangle our coach who threw the first match. He made us play in a way the team don’t play and for a really important match. So first match went 4 Germany, 0 Aussies. He only used one of our best players and left the others out and fielded them a way were they were neither attacking or defending it was a bad game plan from a coach whos head will surely roll when he gets back. He was playing to ‘draw’. The Aussie game plan always sould go as thus: play to win even if you lose or are going to lose. This is seriously how we play every sport don’t believe me check. Australia has a way overachieving sports presence than it should based on population and thats why. When we went back to our normal game plan we managed to stay drawn for 60 minutes after we went down to 10 men (we had the same stinking red card decisions apparently Australia don’t make yellow cards they just go straight to red even for things the video show didn’t happen) then won the next one today. I’m proud of my team but they deserved a coach that wanted them to do their best not what we got. I wish that germany match could be played over just to see if it was ever possible. So yeah Wilmark as far as the ref calls I feel your pain.

Looks like i’m going for New Zealand and Denmark and yes I did watch that US match you guys deserve to be annoyed. On another note our dive has paved the was for Gauna(?) to progess which is good news for the African conteint given South Africa is out.

Eventually given the politically volitile nature of football (yes I am going to go there about roits etc) the video ref must be only a matter of time. I mean you can see why overly passionate fans go a bit crazy when they lose especially to rivials and when the tv cameras calls it different. Well one can hope anyway

Fequiil:

Willmark

Fequiil
I guess you mean swapped right? But I have to say that was the WORST swap ever allright!;)

Obsidian
yes, that's what i mean, and yes, it's the worst swap ever!:|

Nazhur:

Sadly Sweden didn´t make it to WC so I right now cheer for two other teams, Germany and Holland. Got friends from both contruies so that´s why. I have tried to see as many as possibly as I think football is the best sport ever (ice hockey as number two).

cornixt:

Both of my teams crashed out at the weekend - England and USA. I guess I will fall back to Mexico.

Willmark:

We all knew FIFA was a joke now it’s even more the case that goal was clearly in. Rediculous that they won’t use instant replay.

Of course the German fans are saying it’s even for 1966 :wink:

cornixt:

The terrible ref decisions so far are solid proof that instant replay should be used to make decisions in unclear moments. We have it on tv just seconds after the event, from several angles, so an off-pitch ref can very quickly come to a decision without disturbing play any longer than they currently do.

I’d also like a post-game analysis to check out diving and serious fouls, awarding yellow and red cards to kick players out of later games. That will help to clean up the game.

Willmark:

I’ve been saying the same thing about diving. You get caught on a dive Red Card, skip the Yellow. Then comb the video after-wards for every “injury”. Teams will only have to suit up for one game playing 4 men down due to Red Cards before that crap stops right then and there.

But FIFA being FIFA would rather stick their collective heads in the sand.