[Archive] Would you buy 4th edition Hobgoblins if GW brought them back in Finecast?

Admiral:

As per title, would you? Take GW’s current price levels into account before answering.

With FW as of yet unwilling to put out an expensive horde unit in resin it could make some sense for GW to cash in on this by putting out their old Hobgobbos in Finecast on the market, though it would be only a miniscule income source.

torn:

I would say based on pricing I would rather a 3rd party sculpted their own. There are a lot of good very reasonably priced miniature manufacturers and I have the benefit of not playing at a gw store so I don’t need gw models.

That being said with the current lack of 3rd party hobgoblins and the fact that even the best conversion attempts are still lacking something it would be a good thing for gw to do.

Fine cast vs forge world? Not sure which I’d prefer but getting a lot of these guys, I’ve probably bought cars cheaper.

Admiral:

I would say based on pricing I would rather a 3rd party sculpted their own. There are a lot of good very reasonably priced miniature manufacturers and I have the benefit of not playing at a gw store so I don't need gw models.

That being said with the current lack of 3rd party hobgoblins and the fact that even the best conversion attempts are still lacking something it would be a good thing for gw to do.

Fine cast vs forge world? Not sure which I'd prefer but getting a lot of these guys, I've probably bought cars cheaper.

torn
Just for the record, Russian Alternative is putting out a Hobgoblin range, sculpted by our Rozmax.

Dînadan:

At the current prices I’d say no as it’d probably be about £20ish for five hobbos which is not worth it in my opinion, especially considering how many you need to make them work. :confused:

JMR:

With GW’s current pricing and in Finecast? No. Never.

torn:

Just for the record, Russian Alternative is putting out a Hobgoblin range, sculpted by our Rozmax.

Admiral
Love their stuff but not really into big hats anymore, these will be perfect for me. I will still keep my above answer to a maybe because gw is still capable of pulling some fantastic stuff out of the bag.

Skink:

I wouldn’t. Not for the pricing but for the Finecr*p. That’s the worst resin I ever worked with. And I painted models from Ramshackle, Russian Alternative, Forgeworld, Avatars of War, Raging Heroes. I have absolutely no clue how is it possible that the most aggressive miniature company in the galaxy came up with the worst material ever. It’s mind blowing. Hell, even Ravenswood’s limited ed Sorc Prophet is casted with exquisite finesse! And he’s a private! So no, I would NEVER, EVER buy Finecast from GW, doesn’t matter how badly I want the minis.

On the other hand I WOULD buy Hobbos from Forgeworld, especially if based on their marvelous Mongol style art.

Time of Madness:

Finecast is on the way out. Most of the current finecast ranges have been pulled, which is why armies like tomb kings will no longer be supported moving forward.

Time of Madness

Bloodbeard:

The hobgoblins are great minatures. And there not yet any great alternstives out there.

But I would never pay for Finecast. Metal or plastic.

Roark:

I actually prefer the skinny Mongol-Hobbos from Hodag Games. GW’s seem a bit obese to me…

Having said that, some of the great paintjobs here have given me pause for thought about the original models.

Bitterman:

No, and there’s a number of reasons why:

1. Not super-keen on the models. (This is the biggest reason).

2. Hate the material. Finecast is simply not fit for purpose. It is a travesty and an insult to paying customers.

3. You’re assuming it would be cheaper in Finecast than Forge World resin. GW prices nowadays suggest that may not be the case. It certainly wouldn’t be “cheap” by any stretch of the imagination.

Admiral:

3. You're assuming it would be cheaper in Finecast than Forge World resin. GW prices nowadays suggest that may not be the case. It certainly wouldn't be "cheap" by any stretch of the imagination.

Bitterman
Actually not. I wrote "take current GW price levels into consideration." And we know what that means nowadays... :hat off

Zanthrax:

I initially thought about voting no as metal is still the best but as I am chasing the hero hobgoblin on foot i would reluctantly accept finecast or whatever the GW marketing dept call it post the finecast debacle. eBay prices are unbelievably high and I want that suckaaaa.

gIL^:

i said up to 10, I would get characters and command groups, That hobo with the horn is still one of my favorite minis.

furrie:

it depends on the price, if it much lower then ebay, then probably.

Yodrin:

I have to say no, Rozmax Hobbos are on my list

Fuggit Khan:

I love the 4th edition GW Hobgoblins…the attention to detail on those old mini’s is pretty impressive, right down to the individual faces.

That said, I would not buy recasts of them from Finecast for two reasons:

1) I hate resin.

2) I’m lucky to own about 100+ of the original metal buggers.

Dînadan:

2) I'm lucky to own about 100+ of the original metal buggers.

Fuggit Khan
Lucky git

;p

Grimstonefire:

No, but more because of the look than the price or material.

cornixt:

I’m wondering if finecast will be the “must have” thing in 10-20 years because so few people like it right now and it becomes collectable.