[Archive] YNWA

Willmark:

The words are appropriate for this day and age and economic times methinks. Also interesting as it was sung by Renee Fleming at the inauguration of President Obama.

Oh yeah and go Reds! (ducks) :slight_smile:

GRNDL:

Oh yeah and go Reds! (ducks) :)

Willmark
I'll second that Willmark. My family are big Liverpool FC fans, except for my Uncle Alex, who is the black sheep of the family and an Everton FC supporter. Actually, so are the disliked arm of the extended family, which says quite a lot, I guess. My family is a soccer soap opera...

Willmark:

My mother-in-law is Scottish (still a citizen of the UK actually) so we know how hopeless it is supporting the Scottish National team, something about lost causes… :wink:

For those not in the know (mainly most of my fellow Americans) the song is a Rogers and Hammerstein song from the 1940’s made popular by Gerry and The Pacemakers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_%26_The_Pacemakers) Perhaps the biggest band of Liverpool besides a certain quartet of moptops… It was adopted by the team in the 1960s.

When you walk through a storm hold your head up high,

And don’t be afraid of the dark.

At the end of a storm is a golden sky

And the sweet silver song of a lark.

Walk on through the wind,

Walk on through the rain,

Tho’ your dreams be tossed and blown.

Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart

And you’ll never walk alone,

You’ll never walk alone!'

I believe Jerry Lewis still sings this every Labor Day Muscular Dystrophy telethon too.

Sojourn:

BLUE!!! (only time I think Blue is better than Red…)

let’s go Chelsea! and NO, I don’t want to hear about their standings. hush!

Willmark:

Chelsea? Didn’t they rip this off from Liverpool?

Zanko:

Who the f…ck is Chelsea???

:hashut

two_heads_talking:

I don’t root for anyone in particular, I just love a good football/soccer/rugby match.

snowblizz:

My Danish is a bit rusty… was it something important they were saying there? That was the point of this right? :wink:

Willmark:

Who the f..ck is Chelsea???

Zanko
If I'm reading Sojourn right she's talking about the (currently) 4th place team in the English Premier League.

Snowblizz don't make me come over there!

tetnis:

I’m an arsenal fan myself (sorry sojourn)!

Zanko:

@Willmark: Hey I´m from good old europe, I know the teams in the “important” football/soccer leagues! :o

It was a rhethorical question, read I don´t like Chelsea!!! :):):slight_smile:

From the teams in the english premier league Liverpool is my favourite! :cheers

Ditto sorry sojourn :hat off

BilboBaggins:

I worked next to an Italian deli and nearly everytime I went in there they had a Football (what we Americans call Soccer) game on. The shirts for the National Team were hanging everywhere.

It seems that the Europeans are even more fanatical than the American Football fans. Is it true that they try and bar the Brits from some of the games on the continent?

Zanko:

It seems that the Europeans are even more fanatical than the American Football fans. Is it true that they try and bar the Brits from some of the games on the continent?

BilboBaggins
What do you mean with "try and bar"? I don´t find an appropriate translation for it. :(

Or do you mean the time when the Brits were banned from the european contest? This was several years ago after the disaster in Belgium. In the final of the european master contest british hooligans attacked other spectators ... than there came a panic and about 60 or 70 people died.
After that the Brits were banned for several years. But nowadays they play again in all european contests ... very good and successful in the last years

BilboBaggins:

What do you mean with "try and bar"? I don´t find an appropriate translation for it. :(

Or do you mean the time when the Brits were banned from the european contest? This was several years ago after the disaster in Belgium. In the final of the european master contest british hooligans attacked other spectators ... than there came a panic and about 60 or 70 people died.
After that the Brits were banned for several years. But nowadays they play again in all european contests ... very good and successful in the last years

Zanko
That is what I was talking about, banning (to bar: preventing entry, in American jargon) them. I thought they just banned the fans, not the teams.

In America our Football (American Football) fans will pelt opposing teams with snowballs (or in the case of the Philadelphia Eagles fans, SANTA CLAUS got pelted), Drinks, food, trash, etc.. One of the area Judges set up court in the stadium for fans that got carried away.

snowblizz:

Zanko
That is what I was talking about, banning (to bar: preventing entry, in American jargon) them. I thought they just banned the fans, not the teams.

In America our Football (American Football) fans will pelt opposing teams with snowballs (or in the case of the Philadelphia Eagles fans, SANTA CLAUS got pelted), Drinks, food, trash, etc.. One of the area Judges set up court in the stadium for fans that got carried away.

BilboBaggins
Fans aren't the exact term though. Most of these are not in it for the sports but the hooliganism.
That's really an interesting question, why is there nothing quite the same in america? Tougher stance? Plenty of other gangs for those so inclined?

BilboBaggins:

There are hooligans that follow American sports, but they are outnumbered by real fans. Some of the toughest fans are from towns that had a larger blue collar base (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago). The fans from these areas are more likely to talk tough but they are knowledgeable of the sport and not beating people for not rooting for the home team.

Philly fans can be tougher on the home team players than visitors.

One of the favorite players in Philadelphia is baseball player Chase Utley. He’s good all around player and plays hard and has the dirtiest uniform on the field at the end of the day.

I’m not sure if it’s just because we don’t tolerate it at the games because there are kids there and they are on better behavior. I do know that American Football only has 8 regular season home games a season. Baseball has 81 home games, I think Basketball and Hockey has around 40 home games. Maybe it’s because of all the different sports to follow in America and fans not wanting to get kicked out after spending loads of money to take the family to the game.

I know the Philadelphia Eagles (American Football) games were getting bad (mainly public intoxication and urination) but got better when the Judge McCafferty started Eagles court in the stadium on game days. Instead of just issuing tickets/summons or hauling them to the local police precinct the guards haul the ruffians to the court and he makes the decision there on fines/penalties and getting kicked out of the stadium. Some stadiums have stopped selling alcohol after halftime or equivalent for the sport. I’m not sure but I think the Dallas Cowboys stadium doesn’t sell alcohol for being in a dry (alcohol prohibited) town.

Ghrask Dragh:

Nice to see so many of our over-seas comrades follow the the premiership :slight_smile:

I’m a massive Liverpool fan, you’ve got to love that ‘anthem’, the best in the game!! Would love to go see them play at anfield one day soon, kop end of course :smiley:

Walk on my friends, walk on

Willmark:

Nice to see so many of our over-seas comrades follow the the premiership :)

I'm a massive Liverpool fan, you've got to love that 'anthem', the best in the game!! Would love to go see them play at anfield one day soon, kop end of course :D

Walk on my friends, walk on

Ghrask Dragh
Indeed the two things I'd like to see in person are:

1) a Home Game at Notre Dame Stadium in late October. Notre Dame's football roots go back 1887, so as old as the reds.
2) a game at Anfield so I can sing this with all the lads, perhaps one day a trip is in order Ghrask! That is if they still let the former colonists into olde blighty!

I'm just starting to like football, I really only start paying attention when American Football is done as I am not a fan of Basketball or Baseball. So that leaves me hockey, which I do like and rooting for Liverpool.

Ghrask Dragh:

Me and bro nearly got tickets for us lot christmas just gone, my dad has been a fan forever, would be worth any money to sing YNWA at the kop end and the torres song too of course :smiley:

Kera foehunter:

im a Manchester United fan from Ohio