Artisan's Contest XXXIII: Hobgoblin Artwork Challenge

“Sharpen da knives…”

Zanko & Antenor Presents: The 33rd Artisan’s Contest on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

This contest has been sponsored by @Zanko ! The gold winner will carry home this unpainted rider miniature:

The silver winner will grab a kit of 15mm Tjubling Skull Masks from @Tjub and Admiralty Miniatures:

While the bronze winner will receive a kit of 15mm Tjubgob Command #1 from @Tjub and Admiralty Miniatures:

And finally one lucky random draw winner will comb home an unpainted Evil Dwarf Grenadier, kindly donated by @Antenor !

Subject Matter: Hobgoblin Artwork Challenge!

This time around we want you to draw, paint or otherwise create some kind of non-miniature artwork or concept sketch which in some way feature one or more Hobgoblins or Hobgrots, including your own reimagining of the concept - that cruel and sneaky middleman slave caste from the steppe who has grown fat lording it over the Dawi Zharr’s hordes of lesser thralls!

You could tackle this theme in a myriad ways. For instance, you could depict one or more Hobgoblins stabbing someone in the back, or Hobgoblins kowtowing to their Chaos Dwarf masters, or spreading lies with malicious intent, or dragging screaming captives in ropes behind their giant wolves, or flaying an Orc with sadistic glee, or whipping a Goblin, or mutilating a Gnoblar, or outriding pursuing cavalry, or Hobgoblins sleeping on a bunk, or having a great knifing booze party, or offering sacrifices to shady figures, or getting ripped apart by angry Greenskins, or bossing around slaves labouring with building a megalomaniac monument to their Sorcerer-Prophet overlord, or building a tent on the steppe, or sewing a cap, or shooting arrows at a bound prisoner, or something else entirely. Let your imagination run wild and be welcome to surprise us all with weird interpretations!

And this round, the gold-winning artwork will have the honour and duty of becoming the front page image for a future Brazen Bulletin webzine!

Specifics
Subject: Hobgoblin Artwork
The Due Date: 11:59 PM December 11th, 2021 EST (Eastern Time Zone)

Please read the full rules that apply to the Artisan’s Contests before submitting your entry.

Submission
All entries must be sent either to the @GoldenHat account and/or to chaosdwarfsonline ( at ) gmail.com no later than the due date. (Entrants have approximately 9 weeks to complete entries). If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact @Admiral. In order to avoid problems, entrants should not wait until the last minute to submit their entries.

How to Enter
Submissions should include one picture file only. Your one picture file with art may contain any number of objects, figures and scenes. Pixel art and animated Gif art are allowed. Upload your entry to the Internet, e.g. with Imgur or with this forum’s direct upload function. Next, send a PM to @GoldenHat (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the links where the pictures can be found. (Note: This is the same as previous contests).

If you win:

• Walk across the backs of the cowed masses you have scorned and pushed aside, in order to take your place at the top in the vaunted Artisan’s Contest Gallery.
  • Receive the Artisan’s Contest medal for your online persona.
  • Win miniatures! See above for details.

Once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting and determining the winners!

If there are any questions it is best post them here so that everyone can benefit from any details or clarifications that may arise.

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM @Admiral and he will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Good luck everyone!
The Staff

8 Likes

What about 2nd place? Haha

Don’t come 2nd

1 Like

We’ve got something cooking, but I thought it was better to launch the contest quickly and add the silver prize when it’s settled. :smile:

3 Likes

Excellent! Yes can confirm that the winning artwork will be the front cover of Brazen Bulletin issue 3 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Zanko s model is a cracker!

4 Likes

If I draw the wife…does that count? Haha

4 Likes

:beer: That depends on the likeness, and on your interpretation of a Hobgoblin!

Haha, this reminds me of when @Abecedar wondered if his wife had posed as a model when I posted a WIP for one of the Dwarf ladies I sculpted.

4 Likes

@Bolg & @Vapo among others may be interested in this competition.

1 Like

Excited to see this follow up to the Golden Gob Comp! Had something prepped so I tossed my hat in the ring for the doom spoon.

:hat4: .
:spoon: .
:rankhob1: .

4 Likes

9 weeks might be tight for Leonardo da vinci. 9 minutes might be well…9mins too long for zodd…never drawn anything in my life. Might have a go though

6 Likes

@Zanko ! What is that rider! Where do I get one! Other than artistic talent because I have none

5 Likes

This is a Hobgoblin rider from Knightmare Miniatures!

4 Likes

oh awesome I’ve bought it already. CARRY ON EVERYONE

3 Likes

excited for this new contest already!
honest question tho, arent 2 months bit too much time? i mean for a concept/drawing/whatever, seems much more than what we usually do

anyway, i’ll see if i can partecipate with something here as well!

2 Likes

Good question! It might be too much, but we’ve had 2 months’ deadline for art contests in the past. It’s mostly for stray doodlers to jump aboard if they discover it late (and I do go on a spamming spree with PMs and posts on various sites).

Let’s see after this one, collect feedback and decide if we shall keep the yearly art contests shorter in the future. Tinkerin’ :smile:

Apologies if it is wasteful of contest weeks that could have gone into Golden Hat late in the year. This is mainly run with copy-paste.

1 Like

I think the longer deadlines are fine @Admiral , if we sped through these we’d get burnout/less entrants. I’d rather have contests that have a good turnouts. May only take me one evening to draw something but at least I have time to find that one evening!

And yes I’m entering. I’m not particularly adept at 2D art but it’s taking part that counts !

:spoon:

2 Likes

Pre-emptive apologies, I am full of complaints today.

Not a fan of the two same theme contests in a row. Regardless, I suspect this opinion is rooted in my lack of enthusiasm for hobgobs, and as such should be taken with the appropriate box of salt :smiley:.

I am now chasing the next level of veterans medal, so while I may be hard pressed to come up with an inspiring idea, I will still do my best to enter.

Also, add another tally mark on the side that two months is on the long side. Cheers

1 Like

We did this with giants. The giants were painted for golden hat and art for them was created for the artisans. Mega gargants had just been released by gw so we tried to ride that wave a little bit. Hobgoblins are the same. Just using the hobgrot release instead .

After 30 Artisans competitions we have used many ideas, some which will inspire some individuals and some which will not inspire others. However if you have suggestions for future competitions which will really get your blood pumping or that you think the community would love, feel free to drop a staff member a message about it. We are really quite receptive when it comes to new ideas.

Another idea that has been batted around behind the scenes is multiple choice on some competition themes and Our patreons vote on what they would like the best and we go with that. Not confirmed if that’s a route we will take yet but it’s an option.

Congrats on being close to your next veteran level by the way @Jackswift ! Always impressed by the quality of your work and dedication to these competitions! I’m sure you’ll come up with something perfect for this competition. Bare in mind we are mega open about the interpretation. A picture of a kollosus with a hobgoblin tinkering away on part of it - fine. A picture of a chaos dwarf standing on top of a hobgoblin he’s beaten up - fine. A picture of legions of slaves with a hobgoblin whipping them - you get the idea. Hobgobs should be present but do not have to the 100% focus of the competition :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good feedback, thanks for sharing. We want that. Yes, we’re repeating the giant/gargant duo contests. We never did the same theme twice in a row before, but it worked out well with the giants. We can of course avoid this in the future.

For modelling and painting competitions we’ve switched from 1 to 2 months (plus potential extensions) as a standard. It did help preventing contest burnout and getting more entrants in. Not least since many people will order something and then wait for the parcel to arrive before starting on their entry.

Art contests are a different beast, though. It could have another deadline. 4 weeks? 6 weeks? Writing competitions have 2 weeks.

This is all experimental, and feedback is always welcome. We’ve changed setup multiple times due to good feedback.

4 Likes

I noted the prior doubling on the themes with the nautical and giant themes, and I understand the reasoning for giants and hobgrots following releases that are similarly themed. The method does make sense.

@Oxymandias and @Admiral , my opinion is just one out of many. If most seem to support multiple contests per theme back to back, by all means continue. Either way, I appreciate that you hear and responded to feedback given however salted it is.

Agreed. However, since the 30 contests span more than a decade, re-use of prior themes is entirely valid and expected. Many will not have had a chance to enter earlier iterations and would be excited to see prior themes come round again. It’s not the theme re-use, it’s the back to back timing that I was talking about.

I will make up a list of suggestions to throw into the mix.

Good advice, Sir! Which will be taken.

I would say at a max 6 weeks for the artisan contest.

Thank you for the consideration!

4 Likes