Ash Wastes Resurrection

Next up for the KoW army are a unit of Grotesques, First thing I’m having to do is adjust the previous skin tone of the Middle one. It was very much a darker red colour and I liked how the other two were. Once I get that right I’ll try to get a better colour scheme or schemes for their bodies.

10 Likes

Great models! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love the old Dragon Ogres :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a conundrum. With the new edition of Kings of War, they have given us this thing
And I want to make my own (as I cannot buy any more ). So I have two options at hand. But they look a wee bit smaller

The KoW Hellfane is on a 75 sq base and is 5" or 125mm high.

7 Likes

So, the Hellfane is stated as being (5") 125mm high on a 75 mm sq base.
But comparing measurements on the picture I get it wrong.
Anyway, it seems crowded on the base as pictured, and I’m guessing it is on a 50mm base in the pic just to mess with my head.

The Orc Triceratops appears to be the same height at the top of its platform as the Hellfane is at the shoulder near the join of its platform

1 Like

I prefer your right one, with the mask. I looks less dinosuary… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I second @tjub here. A lovely miniature that. Where’s it from?

1 Like

I like both models - the Chronopia one a little bit more! ;o)

2 Likes

I agree with tjub, use the less dinosaury one…bah humbug for lizardmen

2 Likes

The "dinosaur " is from RAFM and the other is the Chronopia Blackblood Goblin Myrmadon

1 Like

Okay, I’ve done a wee bit a work on the base for howdahs for both the RAFM and Chronopia models,
Hellfane Wip 1c 20200905 Hellfane WiP 1d 20200908

I initially made plans for the RAFM ones howdah sides so that a 20mm model could stand on each side and I didn’t like how far it stuck out. So as I’m now working on the Chronopia’s one, the plan is to have it only as wide as to have 2 x 20mm stand side by side.

3 Likes

As a side note and a start to a fairly large blurb about the Artisans No 30, here is what I went through with the locomotion side of my “Leviathan” as I’ve decided to christen it.

Leviathan WiP 6a 20200908

My first idea was to have it drawn by the Chronopia Myrmadon, that quickly changed to using the two RAFM triceratops as draft animals, a short while later into the build I reralised that those two wouldn’t be enough horsepower so I spent several hours getting to and going through the boxes of Lego looking for this Rankor like thing.

And then the build got Bigger and I went bugger it … Steam Powered machine it is then.
Which meant bigger and better wheels were needed.

Leviathan WiP 3a 20200720
Leviathan WiP 3a 20200802
Leviathan WiP 3b 20200813
Leviathan WiP 3c 20200728

The Chassis of the wheels is 1cm thick foam core with cardboard detailing added.

3 Likes

A thing to mention is that I’ve set myself a goal of not purposely going out and buying miniatures for these competitions but to use stuff I already have.

The body Chassis of my Leviathan is again made from the 1cm thick Foam Core board that went through several extensions as the build got bigger. The other white board is a 3mm PTFE scavenged from retail signs by my son.

Leviathan WiP 1e 20200808
Leviathan WiP 1k 20200722

The other thing that happened was I decided to match the basing on the Arse Cannons by cladding my machine in wood, as a homage to the 3rd Ed Juggernaut. I never knew balsa wood was so expensive,

Leviathan WiP 1a 20200714

4 Likes

Another false step was a chute that the ammo would roll down to the two front cannons from the central armoury

Leviathan WiP 1j 20200722

I wasted so much time trying to devise a dividing chute at the end to guide the balls into the cannons.

The steam engines for the two front cannons were fiddly but worked out well in the end I thought with the gears down in the chassis to give the illusion of a drive train.
Leviathan WiP 3f 20200709
Leviathan WiP 2f 20200808
Leviathan WiP 2c 20200803
Leviathan WiP 1h 20200715

And after a while I dercided to “pretend” the steam gear was hidden below decks for the upper cannon and just gave it a control valve on a pedestal.
Leviathan WiP 4c 20200810

4 Likes

All the doors and hatches are just cut out cardboard frames

Leviathan WiP 1f 20200714
Leviathan WiP 1g 20200714

And here is another thing that delayed construction… only having one arm free because the other was being used a a pillow
Leviathan WiP 2d 20200808

4 Likes

The original plan had the curved spikes extending around the whole perimeter and I’d cut spaces for a lot of them before the changes in wheels made it not practical.
Leviathan WiP 1d 20200805
Leviathan WiP 2b 20200814

I always wanted the side fire-steps to be lower-able and I did achieve that happily
Leviathan WiP 3e 20200819
Leviathan WiP 4b 20200810

and in the end I added a third at the rear.

5 Likes

Another source of changes was my measuring, I always wanted to be able to have ranks of Blunderbusses arrayed along the sides and this necessitated a few small expansions to accommodate them.
Leviathan WiP 5a 20200830

And the same happened to the upper level just to get a single rank of models down the sides
Leviathan WiP 5b 20200830

I know I lost out in some opinions by not having all the troops painted but my focus was the machine and its cannons so that is was you got.

And speaking of focus, I have realized that I have no close up photos of individual sections

7 Likes

Here we go, some closer up pics of different parts

The side drop down board and its forward chain
Leviathan closeup 1 20200909

The left front cannons steam engine
Leviathan closeup 2 20200909

My usual captured slayer representative
Leviathan closeup 3 20200909

Top level chain railing and shields (another homage to the shields on the original juggernaut)
Leviathan closeup 4 20200909

Second level with the gearing console
Leviathan closeup 5 20200909

Rear of the two levels with the tail board dropped down and the loading pulley

And two pics of the three Arse Cannons
Leviathan closeup 8 20200909

Leviathan closeup 9 20200909

11 Likes

Great build indeed, there were some stunning entires in this one which really put me to shame who wasn’t able to finish in time. Well thought out model and with good details!

2 Likes

Quite an incredible build, with great details, homages and the trusty captured Slayer. Just how many do you have in store? :smiley:

Lovely vision and details! The shields, steam engine, drop down boards, chains and so on are such good touches.

2 Likes