Bas paints even more of stuff! [BATG 2023]

New year, new log!

Lets clear those numbers and start fresh:

Bought and added to the pile: 0
Printed and added to the pile: 0

Painted models: 0
Painted scenery: 0

Current Score: 0

No new models for this year yet, since I had another work deadline. But I have some plans.

Lets make some plans for 2023 and see if I can finish them by the end of the year:

- Paint up my Tyranid army.
This should be doable. We start a small 40k escalation campaign with our gaming group. So first 200 pts, next month 400 pts, next month 600 pts. I’d like to have a 1000 pts army done and play it at an official tournament. Chance of succes: 90%.

- Paint up a MESBG warband.
Also doable I think. I also enrolled in a Middle Earth escalation campaign this month, and I already have some models finished. The plan is to play a Shire warband, so full Hobbits. This means converting and painting up a lot of models. Chance of succes: 80%.

- Finish painting the base set of the Horizon Zero Dawn boardgame.
I have some models painted, but it would be nice to finish up the rest of the set. I also have a bunch of expansions which contain the more fun bigger robots, so lets see how far I’ll get with these. Chance of succes: 60%.

Finish painting and building my Mordheim buildings.
This project started somewhere in lockdown at the start of 2021, and I haven’t touched these buildings last year. Lets paint them up and paint some games of Mordheim. Chance of succes: 50%.

That’s it for the most concrete plans. I hope to sell/trade/give away some of my piles of minis, and get the collection a little more focused. Maybe organizing it all is a nice project on its own? Chance of succes: 35%.

Lets see how far I’ll get with this (and not be distracting with a full on new project in week 2).

4 Likes

Well, first production of the year!

Not really, this year started with a little side project for someone who’s retiring. A small scale recreation of a Fort in the Netherlands:

After I made that deadline I started work on my miniature stuff again. So far a lot of building, nothing to get my score moving.

So I build all the Tyranids for a small starter army (400 pts):

And I’m also working on some Halfling conversions for our MESBG campaign. Unfortunately that means I bought some Halflings…:

But now the important part; finally something to get my score moving!

This weekend my gaming group is going on our yearly Boardgame Weekend, and I wanted to finish a couple more minis for when we play Horizon Zero Dawn. I’m slowly moving through the starter set.

Bought and added to the pile: 8 (+8)

Painted models: 4 (+4)

Current Score: 4 (4)

6 Likes

Wow those halfling conversions are looking awesome! Can’t wait to see how they turn out.

3 Likes

That was a silent month for me, but I started painting again for our 40k campaign!

Also build a bunch more Hobbits, but they will have to wait a bit for some paint.

Here are the minis I’ve finished in February:

10 Termagaunts and a Spawn marker for Genestealers

And 4 bases of Ripper Swarms:

So that brings me to:

Bought and added to the pile: 8

Painted models: 19 (+15)

Current Score: -11 (-15)

Up next: Probably some bigger Tyranids, and maybe some Hobbits!

4 Likes

More Nids! Or well, one big Nid!

I got this for my birthday this year from my gaming group. A nice big monster to poop out more little Termagaunts.

Converted a little bit to fit in with my older 2nd Edition Nids, so a new Greenstuff face and some older Termagaunts in her belly.

I also magnetized the arms and belly, so I can also field it as a Tyrannofex with some big pewpew.

Bought and added to the pile: 9 (+1)

Painted models: 20 (+1)

Current Score: -11

6 Likes

Really nice back to the future nid conversion (and scheme)! Not something I’ve seen done before.

4 Likes

Playing a campaign really helps with the painting motivation! And it turns out that 40k is a real fun casual beer&pretzels game at smaller points values.

So here are some more Tyranids!

A set of Warriors. Not really a fan of their look, but they had to be included for the old skool feel!

A Lictor with a little more muted colourscheme:

A couple of Pyrovore, because it turns out that flamethrowers are really nice… Ofcourse converted to have old skool heads:

Some heavy support in the form of a couple of Carnifexes; Old One Eye and a Screamer Killer:

I love the Screamer Killer, and would really like to add another one to my army, maybe convert him to show his face a little more. So if any of you happen to have some old Tyranids lying around, let me know!

I now have a 600 pts army painted, plus the Carnifexes (they weren’t part of the army). Next week we’re going to play 800 pts, so I now have to figure out what’s next.

Ofcourse I’m also playing in a LotR campaign, and I have to finish up 30 Hobbits for this Sunday. Lets see how far I’ll get…

As for the numbers:

Bought and added to the pile: 11 (+2)

Painted models: 28 (+8)

Current Score: -17 (-6)

4 Likes

So I didn’t get too far with my 30 Hobbits, but at least I finished the Heroes in my current list:

Merry and Pippin (or for this campaign Albi and Bungo):

Mounted and unmounted:

Fatty Bolger and Holfoot Bracegirdle:

Also painted up a random statue I found in my bitsbox (so I wouldn’t have to paint more Hobbits):

Bought and added to the pile: 12 (+1)

Painted models: 34 (+6)
Painted scenery: 1 (+1)

Current Score: -23 (-6)

3 Likes

lovely models, and i like a lot what you did with that statue in particular!

1 Like

Couple more Tyranids painted.

The Parasite of Mortex was out of stock everywhere, so I threw something together from my bits. In the end I really like the result as a scary bug to fit the older generation of models.

This brings the army up to 1000 pts, and concludes our small campaign! But I really enjoyed playing 40k, so more soon.

Bought and added to the pile: 13 (+1)

Painted models: 36 (+2)
Painted scenery: 1

Current Score: -24 (-7)

5 Likes

man, i know im a greedy bastard, but do you think we will ever see some more of your CD ogres?
im still not over them after… what? 8 years? 10? XD
lovely oldhammer zergs up here btw!

2 Likes

10 years? I started working on that army in 2006, so the oldest models are almost old enough to vote ;p

To be honest, chances are slim there will be more of them. I basically have all the models I need to play this army, and my painting/sculpting style has grown since then so any new additions would stand out.

But never say never, I might play them in a 9th Age tournament later this year, so they might get an update.

3 Likes

Love the retro feel to your Tyranids, brings back memories… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :+1:t2:

1 Like

Almost forgot: I painted this “little” gift for my DM last month:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cq2tw9WNUQx/

Bought and added to the pile: 14 (+1)

Painted models: 37 (+1)
Painted scenery: 1

Current Score: -24 (-1)

2 Likes

More stuff!

Yesterday a local club organized a Mordheim narrative event. It had been probably 10-15 years since I played a game of Mordheim, but it’s still in my heart. And during the lockdown I had plans to build a Beastmen Raiders warband. So this was my chance, and I went to sculpting/painting.

Maybe I build a little too many mini’s, but my warband was done! The event was a lot of fun, and it was great to play the game again.

Bought and added to the pile: 15 (+1)

Painted models: 57 (+20)
Painted scenery: 7 (+6)

Current Score: -49 (-25)

4 Likes

Also some more random bookkeeping, since I forgot to add some stuff:

Bought and painted the new LotR tower, and hacked it up so it’s easier to store:

Bought a mint in box 1992 Wyvern at my local store. Just couldn’t resist that box…

Bought and added to the pile: 17 (+2)

Painted models: 57
Painted scenery: 8 (+1)

Current Score: -48 (+1)

4 Likes

So after last weekens games of Mordheim, I was in the mood to pick up my own Mordheim project again.

In 2021 I stared my quest to rebuild the old Mordheim starterset buildings, but in plasticard. I got quite far, finished building all the models, but painted up only 3 of them.

This was the WIP:

So now I’ve finished nr. 4:

And when I dug up the other buildings, I came across another piece of terrein that could use some love. This was one of the oldest pieces of terrein I ever build, an old Watchtower. Here it is in an old video from 15 years ago, when I wanted to introduce my army for a “Tale of X Gamers” project:

It has since lost its base and the seams were cracking all over the place. So I gave it an update. New paintjob, and I added an interior:

Take was a fun little 1 day build project. Maybe I’ll even get to play some Mordheim with my own scenery.

Bought and added to the pile: 17

Painted scenery: 10 (+2)

Current Score: -50 (-2)

6 Likes

Guess I’m in a terrain painting mood, so here’s some more:

Almost starting to look like a real gaming table:

This LotR terrain is really cool. Amazing how flexible you are in building weird buildings, without losing the amazing detailing.

Bought and added to the pile: 23 (+5)

Painted scenery: 15 (+5)

Current Score: -50

7 Likes

Tables looking great!

1 Like

For a tournament tomorrow I painted up a bunch of Snotlings!

With a skirmish base, because they’re skirmishers in 9th Age (terrible…):

These guys are super bad in game, but I build them up for a fun tournament when the lockdowns shut down all the fun, so I figured I would finally give them a chance.

Bought and added to the pile: 23

Painted models: 69 (+12)

Painted scenery: 15

Current Score: -62 (-12)

6 Likes