Battle Against the Gray: Private Koolaid reporting for duty [BATG 2023]

I am enlisting in the Battle Against the Gray. I may be late to the party, but if anybody needs motivation and accountability to paint more models than they buy, that is me. I got involved in a very active gaming group here in southeast Idaho when I moved here five years ago. Among the tabletop wargames that I play frequently are; Warhammer: Age of Sigmar, Warhammer 40,000, Horus Heresy, Necromunda, Bloodbowl, A Song of Ice and Fire, and Battletech. I am probably involved in a few too many games and my un-painted miniature backlog is evidence of that.
I set a goal for myself in January to concentrate more on the games and miniatures that I care most about and to paint more models than I buy. One of the armies that I care for most is my Age of Sigmar Legions of Azgorh collection. It was by far the most challenging army for me to acquire over time and the amount of love and care that I have put into these little chunks of resin is enough for me to look past the outdated rules and the “Legends” status that GW has assigned to them. I can honestly say that Magma Cannons, Skullcracker War Engines, and Bull Centaurs strike fear into my friends that play Stormcast Eternals and Ogor Mawtribes.
So, a couple of weeks ago when I was gluing my fingers together and swearing as I was trying to get my Dreadquake Mortar put together, I decided to Google search some assembly instructions. Happily, I stumbled onto Chaos Dwarfs Online and I was amazed at the wealth of knowledge and positivity that exists here on this forum. I have previously belonged to hobbying groups on social media and I have always been disappointed by how superficial they are. I truly hope that I have found a home here on CDO with which I can both give and receive positivity and encouragement in the hobby that I love.
Now that my rant is done, here is what I resolve to do:

1. This year I will paint at least 100 more models than I buy.
  2. I will paint at least one Chaos Dwarf/Legions of Azgorh model per month.
  3. I will keep track of my hobby streak. Each day that I spend at least 15 minutes will count towards this streak. My goal is to hold the streak for the rest of the year.
  4. I will post my progress to this thread at least once a week reporting both my successes and failures.
    Well, let’s see how this goes…
7 Likes

more power to ya!!! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

1 Like

Week one:

I have posted a little reminder/tracker next to my computer and hobby space.

It sits right above my monitor, so hopefully it will motivate me to paint more and play MechWarrior 5 a little less. This week I completed some Chaos Dwarf test models. A while ago I had a friend print some models from the Lost Kingdoms and Fabelzel lines. At first I wasn’t sure that any of these models would look OK next to my Forgeworld Legions of Azgorh models, but now that they have paint on them I have changed my mind. I also made some headway on my Chaos Lord and Chaos Knights. A block of 20 Chaos Warriors is next in line on the painting table.

This week’s purchases: Nothing, nada, niente.

This week’s models painted: 1 Chaos Lord on Daemonic Steed
10 Chaos Knights
3 Infernal Guard Fireglaives (Command)
1 Chaos Dwarf Warrior
1 Chaos Dwarf Sorceror
1 Drukhari Clawed Fiend

Proceed with photo dump:

10 Likes

Thanks @Stumpy. I really hope that I can stay consistent. I am sure that at some point my hobby streak will break, the trick will be to pick it back up again.

1 Like

That’s what’s great about this group. Everyone razzes each other about it. Keeps the motivation going.

1 Like

I feel like you could do another poster from a bill Murray film. What about bob- baby stepping!

Looks good . I like the fabelzels stuff the best. How will you get them to rank up?

I always paint my non-plastic models separate from their base on a little piece of mdf and then superglue them to their base at the very end of the painting process. I use a trick I saw in the 6th edition WFB rulebook and rank the models together before supergluing them to their bases and then I number the bases.

3 Likes

new blog is best blog

goblin green base is best base

1 Like

Welcome private. Glad to see you’ve taken up the initiative and hurdled straight to the front rank!

I’ve added you to the BATG_Warriors group so you receive pings related to the war against the grey

2 Likes

Week 2 Report:
I really started this week off with the best intentions to batch paint a reinforced unit of Chaos Warriors thinking that it would be an easy way to score 20 points, but after priming them I felt that I needed a break from the chaos.
I happened upon a dusty old blister pack with a metal Battletech mech that I had stashed away years ago. It was nice to paint something rather simple like the Clan Wolf Kraken/Bane and because it’s such a simple model, it was done in an hour and a half. For the remainder of the week, I slowly worked on a troll hag model and three rock trolls. It feels good to finally put paint on models that I had already assembled and primed and then sadly buried in a closet.
The hobby streak is still intact, but I’ll be honest, there were a couple days that I spent only 15 to 20 minutes quickly slapping contrast paint on a model before I had to return to the grind of work and kids.
The temptation to buy models was too strong this week and I caved buying a Kratos heavy tank and the single hobgrot model from the Warhammer Underworlds Harrowdeep box. I have a friend that has agreed to sell me about 80 hobgrots from the Dominion box for dirt cheap, but first I’d like to paint up a test model to work out a paint recipe before batch painting tons of them. Bunches of hobgrots would make lovely speed bumps to place in front of my Magma Cannons and Fireglaives. 80 more models isn’t going to help my BATG score, but that should just motivate me to paint more.

This week’s purchases:
1 Krrokgrin da Hobgrot
1 Kratos Heavy Assault Tank

This week’s painted models:
1 Clan Wolf Beta Galaxy Kraken/Bane Assault Mech
1 Troggoth Hag
3 Rockgut Troggoths

And here’s the photo dump:

4 Likes

It has been a hectic past couple of weeks. Between traveling for work and going to visit family, I have been too busy to get a lot painted. The good news is that I have also been too busy to buy stuff. I tried painting in my hotel during my work trip, and even though progress was slow, I maintained my daily hobby streak. Things are starting to slow down and hopefully I can finish batch painting chaos warriors this week. As they say, slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Recent purchases:
Nothing

Recent painted models:
2 Space Marine Apothecaries

Painting models in a hotel during a business trip is a new and exciting experience for me. I didn’t get much done, but it was a great way to relax at the end of a hectic day.

3 Likes

Dedication! Love to see it.

1 Like