Chaos Dwarf Renegade Culture Project

You could still have Kraka Drak fall and allow for Norse dwarfs; just because KD falls doesn’t mean it’s people have to get wiped out. Instead they could get displaced and scattered, hiding away in hidden valleys, burrowing under nigh unreachable mountains or settling enclaves in the non-Chaos aligned Norscan villages. :wink:

4 Likes

Suggested time line and other ideas for the renegades
What do you guys think?

-5500 spread of dawi through worlds edge mountains.

-5300 dawi reach the sea of chaos. Some turn west to Norsca, others east to Zorn Uzukul, others Norrh East to Kharag Dum.

-5200 the most stubborn adventurous and foolhardy venture North to the mountains in the fringes of the Wastes and establish many small holds. This Northern extension to the Wotlds Edge mountains becomes known as Karazal Durak (the hard mountains) and the dawi that settle there the Duraki (the hard clan).

-5000 the Duraki discover the extensive cave system buried deep beneath the surface of the Karazal Durak. They name these the Ungoral Dumaz ( the dark caverns) rich in streams lakes and caverns of strange fungi.

-4888 the Duraki send warning to Karag Dum and the Norscan holds of a huge chaos force gathering in the wastes and ask for help.

-4889 Ku gath plague father sweeps out of the wastes. The Duraki holds lock their doors but cannot hold the daemons back. In desperation they collapse their own halls sealing themselves in and seek refuge in the Ungoral Dumaz. The ‘Long Dark’ begins.

On the surface the expansion of the chaos wastes twists the very land itself warping stone and rock reforming the wastes. However deep beneath the surface the Duraki are relatively safe. Chaos magic slowly permeates through to the Ungoral Dumaz as contaminated water percolates down.

-4759 ‘The Time of Terrors’ begins. The effects of chaos on the creatures in the Ungoral Dumaz creates chaos beats that attack the Duraki. Attempts to reach the surface reveal a chaos ridden wasteland. Condemned to their dark existence the Duraki struggle on. Attempts to explore the surface are abandoned.

-4419 The vortex in Ulthuan is created and there is a retreat of chaos exposing the greatly changed Karazal Durak. The Duraki are unaware of this but the ‘Time of Terrors’ comes to an end over the next century.

-4400 to -3000 Duraki society breaks down. There are increasing mutations in their children.

-3000 ‘The Rise of the Warlords’. The Ancestor gods are abandoned as chaos ridden warriors and sorcerors seize control of the scattered Duraki holds.

-2500 to -1500 ‘The Dark Wars’ Driven by their new warlords differing holds seek dominance over others. Eventually 8 major holds coalesce with no one achieving dominance.

-1500 The widening of the World Pond by the Slann opens rifts to the surface. Adventurous Duraki discover the surface is habitable. ‘The Long Dark’ ends and there is the start of ‘The Red Dawn’. Emerging Duraki rapidly find themselves in conflict with the chaos tribes that inhabit the surface. The wars that follow last 500 years. Eventually the Duraki establish dominance over the twisted peaks that were once the Karazal Durak.

-1000 The most Northerly clan, starts to use warp stone in their forgings. Empowered by its potent chaos magic the first suits of chaos armour are made. This innovation gives the Holds an advantage over their neighbours and they quickly rise to dominance. However the fell effects of the warp stone begin to show with more and more mutations and episodes of madness. This ‘Sickening’ weakens the grip of the clan over their neighbours. It is not until -769 when the ‘runes of binding’ are developed that warp stone can be safely included in steel and Chais armour and ensorcelled weapons become ‘safe’ . The production of this material spreads throughout the Duraki.

-750 contact is made with Norscan Dawi bought as slaves by the tribes. The Duraki learn of the golden age of the Dawi whilst they were abandoned to ‘The Long Dark’. The conclave of the clans swears vengeance on the kin that abandoned them

-600 contact with the Hashuti leads to mutual distrust but a tolerance and exchange of technology. The knowledge of ‘the runes of binding’ for warp stone is exchanged for the runes of Daemon binding.

-500 the first Daemon cannons (ass cannons) are created

-200 Duraki Sorcerors begin binding minor daemons into warp stone enhanced weapons. The inherent instability of this arrrangement becomes rapidly and disastrously evident with daemons escaping when the metal is stressed (e.g. in combat). The Duraki begin to limit this practice to artillery and crossbow bolts (count as blunderbus or fireglaives)

1 Morkar the uniter approaches the Duraki seeking help arming his forces. The Duraki are happy to help (for a price) and the trade in chaos armour starts.
When Morkars army sweeps South a Duraki army follows then turns West into what will become Norsca. Here the Duraki seek recompense from their southern cousins. Several smaller holds are over run and the larger beseiged This force is led by the eight great holds. The Dawi refer to these as the Renegade holds. The leaders of this force achieve Legendary Status… With Morkars defeat the Duraki give up ideas of the immediate conquest of their southern cousins, but bide their time.
The main forces retreat North but several renegade outposts are established in northern mountains. These then establish relations with the Norsca tribes driven into the peninsula by Sigmar. The retreating Duraki take the secret of black powder with them looted from minor Dawi holds. Black powder use is developed but does not become widespread due to a lack of the necessary ingredients in Duraki lands.

1000 the Chaos citadels of Infernius and Black Rock are built with Duraki engineers.

1500 The Mad Dwarf engineer Oxy O Cetylene (WD73 The Crude the Mad and the Rusty) travels North. He is accepted by The Doomaxes Renegade clan and starts Production of his Steam powered ‘Tin Men’ (count as K’daii).

2250 Thymbrin Goldenbeard is exiled from Karak Vlag. He travels North visiting the various Renegade holds selling his services. Thymbrin finally settled with the Spikehead clan. Over the next few years Boar centaurs are developed and Whirlwinds, Tenderisers and the famed Juggernaut are developed.

2303 ‘The Great War of Vengeance’ (The Great War against Chaos). Duraki help in the war against Karag Dum and the Norscan holds. They are promised these holds in return for their help. The Northern Norscan Holds Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnvake and Kraka Dorden Are taken and handed to the Duraki Remegade clans as promised. However the fall of Karag Dum leads to fighting between the factions of the Ruinous Powers. In disgust the Duraki (The Foaming Mad) labandon their claim (unable to enforce it) and turn west to join their kin fighting in Norsca with Valmir the Aesling.

The Spikehead Renegade clan spearheads the assault on Karag Vlag utilising many of Thymbrin Snakebeards (previously goldenbeards) devices to wreak his vengeance upon those who exiled him. Together with the Hashuti from the East they conquer the most Norther Dawi hold in the Worlds edge mountains. Whether the fragile truce between the Duraki and Hashuti would have survived the conquest long is unknown. When the Great War against Chaos ended rather than abandon Karak Vlag to their hated Cousins the Duraki and Hashuti sorcerors seal all the entrances binding daemons into the very rocks of the hold. If they may not have it none shall!

Of Thymbrin little is known for sure. He accompanied the assault on Karak Vlag. It is said that when the Spikeheads and Hashuti left, the stubborn engineer refused to leave. This was ‘ his’ hold and no one would take it from him! The Duraki and Hashuti agreed and sealed him in…perhaps he is there still creating more mad engines.

2390 Valmir the Aesling takes Kraka Drak with Duraki help but decides to keep it as his own, In Fury The Duraki retreat to their Norscan Holds.

2400 Valmir assassinated and his ‘empire’ disintegrates.

2450 Norscan dwarfs retake Kraka drak. Norscan Dawi who had re grouped at the Dawi port of Sjoktaken retake Kraka Drak. The Norscan Duraki are too busy squabbling over their new possessions to mount an effective counter attack

2450- Constant war in Norsca between Duraki and Dawi.

7 Likes

Looks great! We can add stuff too. Like Thymbrim Snakebeard being exiled and teaching the crazy tech/ use of boar centaurs to the renegades.

Also perhaps the first emergence of these centaurs could be recorded?

I’m seriously seriously considering doing something a little crazy and compiling this into a pretty little army book … :grimacing:

5 Likes

Thats great uther. Really good read, did you look at timelines in other army books for mentioning of chaos dwarves and timeline history?

Those cds spent over 130yrs in the dark underground living on mushrooms and i guess cannibalism?

Event history of weaponry such as black powder, juggernauts ,ass cannons , various types of centaurs, etc would be good. Subjugating different types of slaves too.

Go for it Oxymandias, ill read it!

1 Like

Hi
I left things a bit vague on purpose as my knowledge of fluff is a bit poor. We could fit lots in I was not sure whether to have CDs fighting with The uniter against Sigmar or not. I could not find mention of CDs early on other than Hashutim.

Interesting for an army book what rules you could use. Indeed you could use different counts as rules for different renegade clans. That is one clan could eschew black powder and be a slaves to darkness type army with eg boar riders/ centaurs as chaos knights, ( this would also allow for 4 clans one for each power) one clan could use counts as Hashutim rules, another the same but slave dominated, another Dwarf counts as with black powder another without. Nice to give flavour. Maybe the more Southerly holds adopt black powder and the more northerly remain more Slaves to Darkness like.

3 Likes

I’d say @Uther.the.unhinged , you take the WAP list and take some things away or add some restrictions. Nobody will complain about taking a more restricted version of an accepted list.

I can see things like this clan must have 1+ units of this and can’t take this. Being a standard sorta thing.

I would like to make an army book that actually caters for multiple systems. Imagine it just has a page that explains restrictions and “must takes” for each clan in WAP, and again in KOW and again in 9th age ?

So that people can play “legal “ (I know WAP isn’t legal…but it basically is cos the games still unsupported) lists but they get a bit of flavour and fluffy reasons to pick certain things.

2 Likes

Also could add replacements for “counts as”

Keeping lists legal but giving someone creative control.

Eg: replace “Bull centaur “ with “boar centaurs” in this entry

1 Like

Or we go mega creative and add a few new units to the games for friendly games only. Boar riders is a perfect example of this.

And we give stats for using them in multiple different systems.

I’m imagining this being like a codex supplement for multiple different games :slight_smile:

1 Like

Effectively orc boar boyz rules will not break anything. Maybe +1 armour but strength 3. Maybe lower leadership due to being seated on a boar, chaos dwarfs are not renowned for their riding abilities

Having a hero on a boar or pony would be cool.

Barded ponies movement 6. Ws 2 due to little
Lances could be reduced in effectiveness to spears. I guess great weapons +1 strength

Dragon ogres = giant bull centaurs
Ogres trolls minotaurs =kdaii
Greater demon of chosen god = giant kdaii
Cd chariots= whirlwinds

1 Like

I am not sure what WAP is.

However I like using counts as as it allows me to claim I am keeping the game/s balanced. You could just rewrite each unit changing the fluff/words but keeping the maths the same. This would look nice and you could record the counts as elsewhere to show you are maintaining ‘legal’ lists. Each Renegade hold could have its own list in several game systems. If you set the tone eg ‘troll biters ‘fierce’ low tech prefer hand to hand ‘The Brute’/Nurgle’ -inspired, resilient
Droning Drums, mutant heavy, mutated beast heavy, low tech ‘The Survivor’/Nurgle- inspired

Doom Axes, high tech, high slave Princeling/Slaanesh inspired etc

Maybe we could put it out there for members to come up with 8 army lists for there favoured system (WHFB 6th Ed, 8th Ed, Oldhammer, Mantic, T9A,Dragon Rampant, AoS whatever).

A Renegade inspired Scribes contest to help create fluff (with authors permission) an Artisans and GH as well. The army book could be a truly community construct.

WAP = warhammer Armies Project. Fan rules for warhammer fantasy since it was discontinued :slight_smile:

Great idea to make it into an army booklet Oxy, great timeline Uther, great spirit all.

For what little it is worth, you’re more than welcome to use my doodles in Renegade style:

Summary

The Taunter and the Giant

Khuralski Dwarf

Great Eagle Assaults Khuralski Dwarf

2 Likes

Great stuff - cheers Matte

You could also kindly ask @Sjoerdo for use of the amazing artwork by UrchinJoe for his latest miniatures (I have not had energy to give them a proper announcement round due to burnout, but it will happen, however belatedly). And ask @ATOM and other artists if their 1980s style Chaos Dwarf artworks please could be used for the army booklet. Too tired to help out at the moment, but say the word if you want assistance with that in coming days or weeks.

Summary

2 Likes

@Sjoerdo thats beautiful! could I use it in this fan booklet? I’m thinking of going mostly black and white to give and old school feel to be honest :slight_smile:

Its all starting to come together… :cd1980:

(Well the formulation at least…)

1 Like

Even though I’ve only been a reader lately because of extremely busy and exhausting work (sometimes more than 12 hours a day), I have to say that your work is really great. I look forward to reading your finished booklet. If there is anything else I can help with, please let me know - even if I can’t think of anything ad hoc that I could contribute.

3 Likes

Updated the time line above. Added Thymbrin Snake beard where I think he belongs. Introduced Legendary Renegades at Morkar the Uniters incursion. Also added ass cannons and black powder. Not sure the last is right as not sure when Hashuti got Black powder? What do you think

I don’t think there’s any record of when dwarfs discovered gunpowder, so it’s not unreasonable to have it prior to the split. The preference for crossbows over handguns/blunderbusses could possibly be explained as a mix of all dwarfs being slow to adopt new inventions and a lack of resources; imagine if when the split happens it’s a fairly new invention and it’s use outside of mining has only reached a stage when black powder weapons are bulky and not man portable (dwarf portable?) - in this case faced with a shortage of resources to make black powder, I imagine the northern Dawi wouldn’t bother refining the tech into handguns, the smallest they go is the swivel gun and the petard mortar. Contact with the Dawi Zharr might later introduce smaller weapons but a mix of stubbornness on both sides prevents widespread adoption so pistols and guns remain a novelty.

3 Likes

I’d suggest they use warp stone infused gunpowder, or warp stone bullets. Being so close to the portal, it must be plentiful. Being Dawi, they don’t just slap shit together like the raki. Using master smithing and engineering skills, their machines use warpstone generally safely and to devasting effect.

1 Like