Darth Reaver Guns Down Grey Squadron [BATG 2024]

Bit of model archeology to start off the new year. Posting the WIPs to get me motivated.

These decidedly old 1970s LOTR models were fun to strip the tough old paint, repair broken bits, resculpt blunted texture on the soft metal, and attempt to generally resurrect.

The Gandalfs (503 Grey Wizard and 508 Grey Wizard Mounted) as well as 523 Mounted Nightwraith were from the linked unofficial line of lotr minis. I’ve got some choice drunken orcs and a few others from this collection passed along to me by a friend’s dad 15 years ago. The Rohan standard bearer is from Elan Merch and will probably be painted ghostly to accompany the Ringwraith in my oldhammer undead force. I also painted another Elan Merch sculpt, a ringwraith, in 2023. I remember playing with these as a kid and that dam ringwraith’s sword broke every time and was eventually lost. I did my best to recreate it in its original style.

And now for something completely different. Kroot with two thumbs per hand. I’m not a big Kroot fan but pulled these for free in a mystery box. The beeg Kroot is a mage knight bone golem that was once a childhood tomb king, then a teenage Tyranid… so it basically needed to be fully covered in green stuff.

Now I also had a pile of old crappy dark eldar bits. What better way to get rid of stuff I don’t like than to glue them together? I don’t know, it kind of worked. They’re goofy and a bit of a meme about how little interest I hold with Kroot. But, I think I’ve made them my own enough to get some paint on them.

5 Likes