"Unique" Hobby Experiences

What an excellent story, glad it turned out so well.

3 Likes

Such a heartwarming story, and such an amazing collection! So glad to see that there are still untapped hoards like this out there…and fascinating people taking care of them!

3 Likes

Wonderful story, dear @Reaver ! Nice hoard. A heartwarming tale, with a horror start. The best of combinations. :smiley:

Swine Weekend

Last week was devoted to the Great Swine and Seal of Legend. The early week was devoted to sculpting some quick paraphernalia pieces for the great pig and seal army of @Eisenhans , and the display board built and painted by construction engineer Dennis. Thursday and Friday were devoted to preparing the four tournament armies en masse. Friday evening saw all four of us meeting up at Flanders’ house, for delicious grilled meat and a furor of activity to finish everything before the tournament the next day. We finished one and a half hour after midnight, and not much sleep was had.

Here is the display board with all four of our armies standing atop it in all its pink horror - I mean glory:

Video snippet by @Eisenhans

Dennis brought the display board with him to the personnel parking lot at his work. Thus everyone who walked past his car had a chance to glimpse a big pig inside it.

Two anecdotes emerged from this tournament.

I was more tired than I had ever been on a tournament during the third and last battle on saturday. I really needed to go to sleep, but forced myself to play through the game. I informed my opponent Benny (one of Sweden’s best army painters, and least succesful players - he played a wonderful Halfling army as Orcs & Goblins), and he helped by checking on rules and stats whenever something was unclear.

I didn’t think much of it, and went to sleep on a sofa immediately after my game ended.

I learnt, however, of two things that were said afterwards:

First, Svarten (one of the tournament organizers), went to Eisenhans and said: “You must come see this! Matte plays against Benny, and Benny has to look up stuff. In between dice rolls, Matte falls asleep. When Benny tells him what to roll, dice falls out of Matte’s hands, and then Benny dies!”

Benny, after the game, likewise said to Eisenhans:

“How fun is it to play against an opponent, when you have to tell him what he shall roll, and when you look up he stands asleep. And when I tell him to roll the dice, then I die!”

Poor Benny’s army was massacred by a sleepwalker, and he came last in the tournament and won a consolation prize (15mm Tjubbutaurs from me, and a sculpted carnivore plant from Eisenhans).

The second thing was on sunday. Being a cheapskate, I always avoid dining out during tournaments, but brings food along. I did not have time to prepare food in advance of the weekend as I usually do, since I got to Calle already during Thursday to help prepare models and bases en masse.

On sunday morning, we all bought food at a store, and went to the tournament. During lunch, a couple of people sat in the same group of sofas as me. Then, Benny’s wife (another of Sweden’s best painters of armies), remarked: “Here I come with my feminine aura, and then you sit there and first you take a bite off the garlic bread, and then off the brie cheese, and then off the cognac-medwürst. And you don’t even put them on the bread!”

A Vampire Count player: “I don’t think many others have your food habits.”

Flanders: “You were solution-focused. The food should get into the stomach.”

:hashut:

17 Likes

A monumental project indeed! Marvellous work, and great stories. Had a good chuckle. Congratulations on your somnambulant victory! :hatoff:

Especially love that seal on the banner. It looks as if it were saying saying “I’m going to eat your soul”, but it’s still adorable. :smile:

6 Likes

Nothing as great as the noodle incident, however I do have a few tales to tell.

Calvin_and_Hobbes_mention_the_Noodle_Incident_9867

My friend Darwin and I learned to play 8th edition together. When we felt we had the rules down, we went to the local game store.

I played against a guy whose name I never learned, and we just referred to him as “Cheaty Dwarf Guy.”
He didn’t so much as roll his dice, but place them in his hand and then turn his hand over. Somehow he never missed…:roll_eyes:

Darwin finds an opponent and brings out his gyrocopters. The league organizer, his opponent, and Cheaty Dwarf Guy tell him that gyros are worthless, and even sell him a fully painted one for $5. He proceeds to absolutely annihilate his opponent with said gyrocopters. The next week these same folk tell us how great gyrocopters are and if he’s playing Dwarfs he needs some. I guess we just weren’t that memorable.

I went to a different game store, they were doing a big paint thing for an upcoming tournament. The store provided some paint, so I sat down with my Lizardmen/Seraphon. As my army is all Bowser/Koopa themed, I brought out a bunch of my models, and got a few weird looks. One guy walks over picks up my Bastilladon, looks it over and says “ballsy.” And then walks away.

I built an Outhouse piece of terrain. When we rolled to see what kind of terrain it was, it was always the Wyrding Well. Once while playing a game, I had a skink priest with a cloak of feathers. I was flying him to get to the outhouse Wyrding Well. Someone had Eric Clapton’s Cocaine as a ringtone. As I was flying my skink through the air, this song starts playing, and then the skink lands and takes a drink from the outhouse, trying to heal his lost wound. I roll a 1 and the priest who drank from the toilet sat there vomiting.

Darwin has worse dice luck than Wil Wheaton. In one game he managed to blow up three of his artillery units. Two organ guns in one turn, and then a cannon in a later turn. He had 4 different sets of artillery dice, they all let him down.

8 Likes

I’ve returned from the pile of dead with an update and figured I’d share it here where the story began. It’s been a fun and different test putting all these lovely old minis on the table.

The character in this lot is truly something unique to their era. Enjoy some pictures!

14 Likes

Wonderful army! Such classics… :hatoff:

3 Likes

My unique hobby experience!

Over the summer I managed to pick up the Mordheim rulebook for relatively cheap. There’s a big community on facebook for the game, and I made a post on there asking if there was anyone local to Nottingham (where I live).

None other than John Blanche himself replies offering to have a game with me. As it turns out, he lives (literally) about a mile away from me. We now meet up once a month or so, play Mordheim, roll some dice, drink tea and chat shit.

26 Likes

Hot damn, talk about a unique experience! That’s pretty awesome, very happy how that turned out :slight_smile: Give him all our regards.

4 Likes

That’s just crazy. You might half expect to meet a game designer that way because they have to be based near there, but I always figured that the illustrators would be out in Cornwall or something.

5 Likes

Haha well…I don’t think anybody’s going to top that!

3 Likes

Hot damn! Incredible luck haha

2 Likes

John Blanche himself, damn that’s cool…his artwork of Chaos Dwarfs was amazing, in many ways I wish the old school Perry sculpts had more of the aesthetic that Blanche portrayed. Don’t get me wrong, I still love the Perry designs, but there’s something about his artwork of CDs that was the antithesis of vanilla dwarfs

14 Likes

As you told me that on Instagram I couldn’t fucking believe it xD
Next CDOffline must be held at your place with him as guest!
We are not worthy to go to his place hahahaha

Also I second @Fuggit_Khan there is always something unsettling in his awesome art, we could try to make some homage to his original illustrations!

7 Likes

Wow, @Filmdeg ! What a crowning experience, and it’s a regular at that…!

John Blanche is a living legend, and his art is fantastic. So full of life. I use artworks of his as reference images for my own work all the time.

I once cheekily asked him in online correspondence if he wanted to contribute a quick concept painting to CDO’s Chaos Dwarf culture project. I knew it probably wouldn’t be advisible for a retired master artist to intermix with community projects when you have a direct line to the company itself, but worth a shot. :tongue:

5 Likes

I like this thread!

I have a couple of stories.

The first is from the beginning of my hobby experience. I am talking about…1997-98 something like that…

One of the guys of our small gaming group invited us to his home in order to organize a champain we wanted to play.

He lived with his parents in a nice detached house with garden. At the beginning it looked fine, even nice house. But getting closer to the garden we started noticing garbage and abandoned furniture with growing grass on it. Like this rubbish has been left there forever.
We though they just bought a house and they had not yet started to refurnish it. Could happens… :man_shrugging:

The big surprise came when we entered the house. Piles…not piles, MOUNTAINS of stuff packed one upon the other, old video recorders, forniture, cardboard boxes, clothes, plates, everything… old toys… we realized all of a sudden these people simply gather things and place them in the nearest location they find!

Even the table were we were going to plan our champaign was covered by piles of junk. No sincle inch of wood was visible… we had to move some stuff from the table to start working…I still remember working on a pile of papers I cannot even image what was inside those papers…
From the windows we could see the swimming pool in the backyard…well, not to say it was literally filled not with water but…tons of rubbish, boxes, forniture I-do-not-want-to-know what… :flushed:

Then I needed to pee… he pointed the direction of the restroom. I walked a labyrinth of boxes and forniture in order to reach the restroom.
Well, despite all my fears it was not so bad, ok amounts of junk everywhere but we started to get used.
The problem was that while I was doing my stuff, the washing machine next to me started attracting my attention, I turned my eyes only to cross them with a rabbit staring at me. A RABBIT in his cage was simply sitting on a washing machine next to me :rabbit:

Holy f…k!

Not to say he was our Chaos guy :laughing:

6 Likes

Second story:

a few years later, I just moved to a new town and I bumped into this group of players. Very good players, holy Hashut, they kicked my ass all the time. But they were friendly and very eager to help me with the hobby. One of them also told me I was pretty good at painting and sculpting and supported me in this direction of the hobby.

The problem was that they had no place to play, they were searching for a club or association that wanted to host them for gaming nights.
They found this association. I know them, because I’ve played in that location years before when I was the bass player of a Death Metal band :love_you_gesture:
I knew this was a place of far right people. I did not care so much at beginning, after all we were just playing the hobby, not interested to mix with politics. Fine.

The problem was when we went to the club for the first night of gaming.
I remembered as a normal place attended by right wing people, this what I was expecting. Keep my mouth shut and enjoy the hobby.
I did not know in the meantime, this place turned into a neonazi place!!!
As a military history guy I know very welll military insigna and being surrounded by crests of SS divisions and portraits of Leon Degrelle and all the “stars” of neofascists movements was really akward!

I decided not to mess up the night and, after all, my gaming companions worked so hard to find this place for us.
When we were driving home I thanked them but I explained why this was too much for me and I was very happy to play with them but I was not going to join them another time in the nazi-s**t place!

6 Likes

Bassman, that’s is NUTS!! Holy crap.

For me - there was one time Andy Jones (worked on lots of later 80s and 90s GW stuff) commented on something I made and let me know he liked it. Ummmm and I guess there was one time a friend heard I liked HeroQuest and said he still had some in the basement at his parent’s house and I could have it - turned out to be the main game plus a near mint Barbarian Quest pack. Not really great stories. I don’t get out much and not many people who know me in real life know I do any of this hobby stuff.

~N

7 Likes

In the early days of sixth back in cairns at Toyworld we would all play on Saturday, one weekend I saw some local players proxieing some models for some pieces of cheese.

10 Likes

What the actual fuck :joy::joy::sweat_smile:

Skaven would destroy them

3 Likes