I’ve finished my Infernal Engine conversion!
In the end I added some more details 'cause I just couldn’t help myself.
First up, I decided that I wanted the chimney to look more like a blunderbuss so I added a bit of a funnel shape to the top of it and an edge around it:
I also decided that the model looked static and wanted to add some movement to it. As you might have guessed from the hole in the center of the chimney… I went for smoke.
I started by making a mock up from blue (white) tac and made an armature to generally fit its shape:
I then filled out the armature with Super Sculpey and baked it for 40 minutes in the oven. Finally I gave it a coat of super glue to give it some extra toughness:
I’ve realized that this will be the model to end all my principles of never painting unassembled/off base miniatures… and in the end I decided to magnetise the driver. What better to use as a platform than an old monopose warriors discarded hat :
I also made the decision to rotate the end of the exhaust pipe so it wouldn’t spew too much smoke directly in the face of the coaler:
I built up the axels/distances for the sides some more; they might be the most bent axels in the history of man… but at least the side are now snap fit ^^:
Again, the base is built up to create the illusion of movement, the Engine will be crossing rocks with one track leaving the other suspended in air:
Because of this I also decided that the spikes on the tracks needed to be visible even from the underside. On the other hand there was no need for spikes where the model will be glued to the base so I saved myself some work. Since I was out of bits from the Hellcannon wheels I had to sculpt them myself:
I also added some bolt heads to the coalers platform extension:
And here is the Engine in all its glory (yes I’m bragging… but I think I’m entitled to because I’m happy with it and I made the furnace fit so well I didn’t even have to use GS to fix the attachment point):
As seen here on these pictures I also added some old metal skulls-on-spikes to make the front end a bit more scaaary/chaosy.
There’s only two (or three) tiny details to fix:
- (I might decide that the coaler needs some straps/chains/rails to keep him from falling off)
Finally I leave you with a picture of what the kit would look like in an Ebay sales post (more correctly: the pieces I will paint it in):