Denelian5 - Chaos Dwarfs in the 9th age

Thanks! It’s been a bit slow going lately with several half finished projects so it’s good to here positive comments about my work. Might push me to finish more things. :grin:

3 Likes

Since the gift arrived safely (but really late) to @MichaelX I thought I’d post about it here as well.

The thought that came to me was to remake the Secret Zhanta model I made for @Antenor for the Christmas exchange a couple of years back, inspired by @Loidrial 's artwork:
Loidrial Zhanta Claws

But then I saw a GW warband that featured a malignant little pet, namely this guy:

So I figured that Zhanta riding on top of a similar beast (why not a twisted Lamassu?) Would be cool. I started to work on the beast but forgot to take pictures at first. I started to work on the evil Zhanta and decided for simplicitys sake that he’d just be seated directly on the back of the beast. This way the beast could also be used separately without any conversion work. Then I realized that I’d made the fit too lax and decided to add a simple saddle to fill out the void. I made it removable as to heed my trail of utility thoughts:

Then it was time to start his axe, which was carved from plasticard with later added green stuff details:

Then I really started to go crazy… I thought it looked weird that the saddle was just sitting on top of the beasts back, so I sculpted straps to keep it in place. I looked at the original art and realized there “really ought to be a sack of presents” but it looked unbalanced for him to carry it on his back so I made a cart. Then I figured there needed to be straps to keep the cart in place so I added those. I then added lots of detail work in GS, resculpted some of the rider since I wasn’t quite happy with the proportions. My initial plan was to make Zhanta a shield, but his left hand looked like it was supposed to rest on something or hold some reigns. So… I made some reigns. But they needed something to fasten to, so I made a necklace for the beast (you can see where this is going :sweat_smile:). I decided that the saddle needed some work, so I expanded on it. Finaily I added lots of details and of course - optional smoke for the chimney hat. :tornado:
Here’s the pictures of the final result, hope you like 'im:

16 Likes

This is an essential @Zanko baggage train model. Very excited to get ahold of one once magic mike makes miniature miracles manifest

2 Likes

Amazing! As with the first one, a beautiful display of creativity and skill. I especially love the saddle design.

Haha, that’s the way sculpting sometimes goes, isn’t it? Starting innocently from “just a quick thing” and then spiralling into “it should have this, but then it also needs that, and also that other thing…” :smile:

2 Likes

This sculpt is amazing denelian. Love the monsterous cavalry lammasu. You have possibly created a great proxy for the tow centaurs.

2 Likes

That’s a really great baggage train model! What a creativity! :hatoff:

2 Likes

ahuhuahuaoh shit it’s terrifying ahuahuhua what a wonderful work!
the beast kicks ass too! lovely work on the cart as well, great great work allaround man!!

1 Like

I love everything going on here! :smiley:

1 Like

Exquisite! Top of the line in every way.

2 Likes