Discord spam, ban how do we do it?

I think the main issue is context. The bj rat on the palanquin or ballsack ass cannon are def not safe for work material, but the context is in theme, and on point. What we are attempting to prevent is “a wild naked furry appears”. Unprovoked, unsolicited, and generally unwelcome. It’s akin to holding a conversation and some passerby slaps ya with a hotdog. Hotdogs are cool, in context. Otherwise that’s kinda uncalled for (unless for some specific reason it’s the only valid response, and at that point it def has context to justify it)

1 Like

Completely agree. But this is the very definition of spam which we already ban:

My point goes more in the direction that Discord and Discourse are different in nature and therefore require different moderation guidelines.

3 Likes

The fact the forum has an anti spam rule is a good point. No need have doubles.

That said, why would the forum and the discord not be allowed to have the exact same rules?

Neither on discord not discourse would the skaven barge from admiral be seen as spam, nsfw or furry stuff, even if it could be classified as furry stuff and nsfw. It would not be banned as its not ramdom and not out of context… same as me sharing my 3d scanning stuff or denelian sharing his musical instrument artistry.

The thing is, that i dont mind someone sharing their hobby stuff, but when denelian shares something there are generally positive responses by the community… if someone shares furry stuff… usually there is a very limited response, negative “masked as humour” response or it gets ignored. Most of us realize that if there is no response to specific content it means noone cares and we look elsewhere to share… some of us do not get that and just carry on, which is exactly what this whole thing is about.

As @Stumpy said, its mostly about the random stuff that gets thrown in the discord at times. The fact that discord makes it way easier to do that and discourse mostly dodges that bullet does not mean the rule can’t or shouldn’t apply to both.

2 Likes

That said, the spam rule on the current rule set is alegacy rule from the old forum where spam bots were rampant.

Diacourse has auto moderation mechanisms that auto flag spam to us admins and we decide if its allowed to be posted or if the post/user should be deleted.

I have had 4 or so spam accounts aince being staff.

If we wanted to moderate discourse and discord in a similar manner the admins would just ban members that we think are spamming the server without any warnings. The persons this thing will mostly apply to have been subtly, directly and even pretty offensivly, but not officially, adressed on not mindlessly sharing furry stuff.

1 Like

The thing is this gets incredibly fuzzy. I get it. You don’t want to see stuff that you don’t like. This is fair. After all, you and other members of the staff do all this work for this site voluntarily for which I am incredibly grateful. There is no big cooperation behind CDO, so I would never judge CDO the same way when it comes to free speech as I would with social media. In my opinion, this is just normal moderation practise. And sure, this may seem despotic at times to some users but there is nothing from stopping them opening up a rival CDO for furries. You will never be able to make everyone happy.

The thing where it gets problematic is when you try to set these things in stone. Admiral’s barge is a perfect example as it could be seen violating 2/3 of the proposed rules as you say correctly. However, we all agree that we should not ban this type of content. But starting to argue that this is ok and some furry art isn’t will never survive scrutiny. So, if you go down that route, a perhaps more consistent proposal would be: content that could potentially be seen nsfw needs to be hidden behind a spoiler or some link and clearly marked as such. If this is technically not possible you can simply not post it.

2 Likes