Dwarvish Mesopotamia

oh fuck, it took me a moment to realise there were 4 feet and arms in this dude
what a disturbing awesome concept!

1 Like

Mine won’t be quite the same. I liked the head, wrappings and weapons mostly. I’m going to aim for a more mechanical design. Like an animatronic statue with big smoke towers coming out of its back.

1 Like

I’m baaaack! And ready to spread some holiday joy/ash storms.

Disciples of Lugar, redesigned to make them more distinct. And also to further resemble Morrowind’s Dagoth Ur. Beards were also badly sculpted previously (some of my earlier work), so I was happy to trim them off and will replace them later.

Some more Immortals, posed diagonally for great weapons. I’m not 100% sure what weapon to go with for them. Bouncing between Assyrian great-swords, axes or maces. But I don’t have to worry about that until basically the end, need to sculpt the beards first, then attach arms and shoulderpads.

Hobgoblin spearmen. Made from Stormvermin bodies, night goblin/goblin wolf-rider heads, ungor spear arms and trimmed-down Stormvermin halberds for the spears. Once they are sprayed and painted, I will be adding Victrix Imperial Roman shields, but painted like Sassanid Persian ones.

I like how extending the spears really gave them a nice phalanx look to them. And the braced Stormvermin poses work so well for the front ranks.

Now, farewell sweet Nerevar…better luck on your next incarnation.

17 Likes

Im in love and afraid for how evil all of this looks like. No-one can breach your standards man, Kudos!
I have to log on the old forum to thrown at you all my accumulated Slaves points

4 Likes

Marvellous conversions all over the army! Lovely custom style, deftly executed.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I wanted to say and how I wanted to say it, so I’ll just quote it here :grin:

4 Likes

Just to return to this chariot boss - what did you make the body itself from? it looks a lot more like a “real” chariot of the era compared to a typical GW chassis

1 Like

Looks like a Tomb Kings’ chariot with Dark Elf chariot wheels, a Dwarf Ironbreaker shield for decoration and the yoke moved from the centre to the outside.

(Pic taken from Google search).

4 Likes

Makes sense that they’re more realistic - presumably based on study of bronze age designs.

We lost a lot when we lost that range…

2 Likes

Lord_of_Uzkulak was right on the money. It’s a Tomb Kings chariot, but with Dark Elf wheels, an Ironbreaker shield and the yoke moved to the sides.

Also the Tomb King iconography at the front was not attached, to stop it looking too much like a Tomb King one.

2 Likes

I wanna see more!

2 Likes

When I have completed a reasonable amount more, I will post it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just letting people know I have not forgotten this. I just have a tournament deadline and am building bull centaurs like crazy.

I don’t know why I keep doing this to myself…

7 Likes

Sanity never been our priority

3 Likes

I promised photos, and I shall deliver photos.

Updated picture of my Hobgoblins. I have since finished all the spears, heads, right arms…just not the shields. Those go on after spraying as they cover a ridiculous amount of the model. I am going to use some rectangular Roman shields, like the one the standard bearer has, as they look fairly Persian.

The spears have been updated to remove the ott Stormvermin glaives (as I found them too big for a simple spear) and instead added Night Goblin spear tips. The Night Goblin spears are joke length, not even the height of the puny goblin wielding them. NOW they are attached to a proper weapon, with enough length to skewer any cavalry foolish enough to charge.

Oh! And you can’t see it, but they have bows and quivers on the cloth covering their right legs.

Update on my Bull Centaurs/Taurukh Enforcers. The shields are taken from Spartans, with a little pin on the end to not only reinforce the join to the hand, but also to later attach a small skull, to keep them in-theme with my other shields in the army.

The swords are Incubi ones, with the gaps filled in with milliput and filed flat. I found the swords way to frail even to pin on, so I reinforced them further. It also gives them a bit more heft.

A close-up to demonstrate the sword better. I really like these, as they fit with the swords I use for the rest of my dwarves, and the general shape of Dark Eldar swords is like that of an Assyrian one (being similar to a Kopesh, but less extreme). But with the extra bards to make them a touch more sinister.

Behold my Bale Taurus/Great Bull of Shamut! This is made from the Beasts of Chaos Endless Spells, with hind legs attached (an absolute nightmare to do), and wings from an Empire Griffon. The head is a Cygor (as I do not like the original ones weird mouth) with Ghorgon eyes and chaos chariot horns. The lower jaw I sculpted by hand. The armour plating is from a Maulerfiend with Hammerer shields dangling below.

A look at both the rider and the wing joins.

I sculpted more feathers that turn inwards a bit to hide the join of the wings to the bull body, keeping a bit exposed to show the muscle. And then some harnesses for the armour.

The rider is another Prophet. Made from the now ubiquitous Hammerer body, with Bloodreaver head, big hat with Bloodletter horns, Hellstrider shoulderpads and a flame from the Chaos Blood Bowl team icon.

Hope people enjoy! Now I have to finish them and paint 3 colours by the 18th…

19 Likes

Such a cool army! Very original conversions and great work all around. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Taurus . It’s beautiful :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Continue to be amazed by all this, really looking forward to seeing the Taurus in all its glory

3 Likes

It’sa Mario time! I mean update time!

This will be another Hobgoblin-centric one, but what can I say…when I am on a roll, I roll.

First up are the Mahouts, complete with full command options even. Although the champion (the animal with the face-plate) does not have its howdah yet.

Here is the battle standard bearer on Tusker…although currently lacking the actual character. To make the model more visually distinct, I widened the torso and elongated the legs (slightly, didn’t want it looking stretched out), then added a large bone-plate on the tip of the snout, instead of the fleshy sacks the other ones have. This is to give it a bit of a sexually dimorphic look. Also there are metal rods sticking out where a pair of tusks are going to hang under the howdah, to make it look more brutal.

Here is my Hobgoblin Shah, complete with lance, mace, shield and a bow (on the other side). Still needs armour plates on the front of the mounts shoulders, and then horns on the skull. But then he is done.

More work on my camel archers. Now with barding and finished riders. I quite like the “just loosed an arrow” pose I got here.

And here is the main attraction; cataphracts! I have replaced their lances since last time. The original ones were too Frankish/Western European for my liking. So now I gave them something closer to a Persian style lance; aka a long leaf-tipped spear.

I also have managed to acquire enough shields for all of them, and added some putty to the banner to make it look like the cloth actually attaches to the cross-bar.

But anyway, hope you all enjoyed! There should be some ID stuff coming up…when I add a bit more paint so it isn’t all black and hard to make out details haha!

23 Likes

Beautiful conversions as ever! And it’s even more fine en masse.

3 Likes