Dwerrow Zharr -13th Oct - Mini Magma

Started painting the first ten last night. Three hours work got me to this stage. Step by step posted below. I’ll be tackling the faces and beards next.

First undercoated in citadel wraithbone (my go to undercoat for everything these days!)

Next blocked out the silver and yellow

And then the red

Finally all the other colours (mostly tones of tan and brown)

Now all of this took very little time at all. The next step took a little longer but i think it’s a timesaver overall. The streaking grime:

At this point it was nearly midnight so I just added a few highlights in places

Then it will be faces and beards!

My next batch will be larger, maybe 20 dudes. I’m hoping to cut out some steps too. I spent far too long mixing paints to get the desired browns. It would be far better if I just had a few brown colours ready mixed, would have saved tonnes of time.

I’ll probably order something today. Hoping that tonight I’ll finish the beards and faces and add my first completed miniatures to this army!

7 Likes

They look great already. I am wondering why you didnt fancy grime on flesh and beards too?

You are a hobby machine at the moment. V impressive

I reckon you might have to convert your own centaurs, itll be probably be cheaper, unless you use mantics. Mantic bottom half and your style of barbarian dwarf top half might work well size wise.

1 Like

In my paint tests I could t get a white i wanted. The bones on these modes is white with the grime added. It makes it a yellowy off white. I want really snowy white beards. And faces - again I couldn’t get a skin tone I liked with the grime . Plus I love painting faces and don’t wanna rush it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

From beyond the Vale of Woe, March the Dwerrow Zharr! First ten warriors done:

The paint job is pretty basic - but in my defence Im painting an army and not a warband here. There’s 70 more of these warriors to go! The monsters, heroes and warmachines will be the models that get the real love haha.

10 Likes

They look great though ^^

1 Like

They look great. I do notice spears as their weapons for the 1st time. Guess theye are 2 handed weapon proxies?

1 Like

Yeah I figured so mate. Two handed weapon makes sense to me.

I like the painted models much better than before. I can’t say exactly what the reason was! :thinking: It doesn’t matter, the main thing is that they look good now! :smiley:

1 Like

So made a big decision about this army…

I kept looking at the archers…wanting to like them and wanting to paint them…but it just wasn’t happening. Something about them just wasn’t chaos dwarf enough…

So…in the words of Neo in the matrix “Guns, lots of guns”

The rest will get crossbows.

I felt the now proxy was just pushing it too far. I’ll cook up some lore changes and edit to allow this soon.

7 Likes

Yes, do what feels right for you! I wouldn’t have minded the bows, but then again, I never had many problems with stretching the lore and/or the boundaries of wysiwyg :smile: I like that once you had decided in favour of guns, you went all the way - looking at the dude with the gatling :wink:

1 Like

Haha :joy: yup. I think black powder will still be rare in this army. But one unit with ancient rifles ( and one machine gun) isn’t too mad.

1 Like

So cool, they do look great!

1 Like

If you are converting the s bows. Converting some spears to double handed aces maces or flails would be far easier and woukd look a bit more barbaric i think

1 Like

I have had one of @ATOM ‘s boar centaur chariots for some time and wasn’t sure what to do with it. Well last night inspiration struck…

I converted a whirlwind!

I made the boar centaur pushing modular so I can get him to push other things later on too such as a tenderiser or a juggernaut

5 Likes

Love it! I wanted to make one too with his centaurs. In the end i couldnt work it out. Used em all up now sadly.

I think you could add something though. What about a chain or rope from the hat going to some kind of cogs or a wheel in the middle of the chariot base. Pump wagon or scrap launcher-esk?
Something (a pulley) to show how the hat spins somehow

1 Like

Agreed @Zoddtheimmortal

There are little
Holes on the chariot base for troops. But I was thinking they are good spots for a few mechanisms. It’s just about finding / making the right parts

1 Like

Next 20 done!

Thirty completed so far :

13 Likes

those shields look so neat! great work @Oxymandias , i want to see more!

1 Like

They are like some lost legion, or dads army, past their prime. Nice :smiley:

1 Like

Very coherent and cool unit! :anvil: And what a painting tempo! :shock: Kudos! :skull2:

1 Like