Free 3D files of interest, non Chaos Dwarf related

Please use this thread if you want to share finds for non Chaos Dwarf related 3D files.

Miniatures

Fimir warriors by jimjimjimmyjim

Man-O-War Ship Masts of sails by barnEbiss2

4 Likes

The Fimir look nice, forgive the ignorance but are you able to change the poses in software before you print?

No idea, I have no experience in 3D printing what so ever… :stuck_out_tongue:
We had these two threads on the old forum, so they are part of the move. Just added some images to some of the links. But Im sure someone with a bit more experience might be able to answer.

Found some very cool (and free) looking big guys, non chaos dwarf, although with some tweaking and modding of the model who knows what you could create! Love the names of these

First is a War Mammoth
Download free 3MF file Disorganized Mr. Snuffleupagus • 3D printer object ・ Cults (cults3d.com)

Second is a rather large spider
Download free 3MF file Child of Kumonga with Australian Spider-Tamer Contingent • 3D printable template ・ Cults (cults3d.com)

that mammoth :open_mouth:

1 Like

I could picture a Prophet of Hashut on top the howdah with a bunch of slaves running around with him trying to keep the beast under control! :smiley:

1 Like

We need a cdo inhouse resin printer guy. I really like the arachnarok too. I have a forest goblin army.

If you get a printer i imagine you feel constrained to only collecting models you make to make it worthwhile. I love metal or plastic models, hate resin to work with as it just seems so temporary to me, but more and more i feel like im missing out on great stuff…

Conflicted…!

2 Likes

Yes my friend there seems to be alot of great 3d files out there just waiting to be printed, I spent hours last night/early this morning collecting free files to print off as I have done a few times before. My onedrive is currently jam packed with great looking models to print off to add to my existing armies, to buy all of them pre-made would cost me more than the printer I just 100’s of times over so I see it as a great investment to supercharge my hobby.

And like @MichaelX you could find yourself in the position where your going… “Hey I want a new army… I know, I will PRINT ONE!! Muhahaha!”

Lets not kid ourselves we are all part of a very expensive hobby (well it can be) and it seems the more you get in the more you want which can cause issues with significant others (wives/girl friends/new age relationships).

I see the 3d printer as an investment to keep my relationship and my hobby healthy at the same time! Granted the capitol investment on the printer is a bit to outlay but once you have it… well you have it and then you only need to feed it cheap bottles of resin and alcohol as well as some time.

Resin is a new material for me, the models I got from Russian alternative as well as a man eater and Skrag the slaughter-master that I got for Christmas just gone were the 1st resin models I have ever had, no one told me about washing them in dishwashing liquid before trying to glue them and I near threw them up the wall in frustration but once I found the trick they glued together fine and I am happy, once painted they will be sweet and I imagine printing in resin is going to be similar, there may be some frustrating moments at the start but there is a great community here that has already been jumping in to help me out with tips and tricks so if I have trouble I have the best back up one could wish for and at the end of the day I will have some sick models that have cost me a pittance!

I hate to see people miss out on awesome things and I believe this to be one of those things, and remember there are alot more models out there than just Chaos Dwarfs ready waiting for you to hit that download button on, your Forrest Gobbo’s could swell to the horde size you always wanted with one clever investment :wink:

1 Like

Resin might be more temporary but… if you beak it, you just print it again.

The thing is, all those great model designers are slowly switching to 3d. And… they are switching from 3d design but offering real models to only offering 3d files.

Look at the lost kingdom kickstarter a while back. They offered resin models from there 3d files. It sold great. Few months later they did the same but 3d files only. It went bonkers…

This will be the future and only very big, or very niche model companies will keep offering physical stuff as printers and resins get better.

With the new large monochromatic 4k display resin printers gaining traction it will probably grow even more. The print about 4 times faster, with twice the bed size and twice the resolution for the same price as the original photon.

Resins will get cheaper, better and safer.

If I compare my first fdm printer (bought in 2013/14 for 460 euro, upgraded multiple times for probably 1k in total) to my stock ender 3 pro’s costing 250 or something I can’t imagine what 5 more years in resin printer will do :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Deebo @Oxymandias I don’t like that mammoth… looks lame… I would NEVER print that…

7 Likes

Ooof that Mammoth! Is that an stl? How does one get his greedy handy on one?

2 Likes

Link is in the 4th or so post in this thread

1 Like

It’s downright insane what’s available to print - for free, no less!

@MichaelX what a beautiful beast :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you, the mammoth looks good too :grin:

1 Like

Best part if having a chaos war mammoth is that there are 8th ed rules for it in the monstrous Arcanum!

1 Like

Finally added all the bits and pieces to it…

8 Likes

Looks great. Are you going to put chaos dwarfs in it?
The only thing id be worried about is breaking the tusks or tail moving it about

1 Like

They are somewhat fragile, true. But they are pretty thick and solid so if they break it will probably be at a joint. I’m not sure yet what I’ll put in, but leaning towards dwarfs yes. The crew that came with it are some barbarians. Not very pretty ones…

3 Likes