Green Stuff Roll Maker Megathread - just roll with it

Cutting up small sections of a resulting tube is a highly underrated use! Nice work. Very easy to pin through such things in the middle of a shaft, use them as the butt of a handle, or even beard ornaments.

4 Likes

Great idea for a thread guys, thanks so much for putting this together

Do you think this would be useful in any combination to create the scraggly unkept beards of the LoA?

4 Likes

Challenge Accepted!

Legion of Azgorh Beards

1. Started with small-small plates and rolled a thin tube. Worth noting I mixed the green stuff with more green than I usually do to increase pliability and hopefully pick up more detail. Consequence of this is that it sticks to the roller easier if not using plenty of water.

2. Leaving a few coils intact I went at it with the sculpting tool. Lightly pressing around the coil to replace the coil texture with messy hair strands. I repeated this with the pointy end of the tool going both directions (up and down the beard).

3. Repeated for multiple sections and drew out the bottom. Also used a wet blade to scrape up the coils a tad, could also do that after a partial cure so as not to flatten the beard with a heavy hand. Not perfect but quick and reasonable? Let me know your thoughts @GhraskDragh

8 Likes

Mate, looking forward to seeing what you end up creating! As @MichaelX said, it’s an easy tool to start using. And who knows what patterns you’ll discover in learning and experimenting with it. We’re just starting to scratch the surface here. Not to mention the potential doors opening up by going beyond the tool and doing a bit of post processing, a head start to some sculpting endeavors.

Every roll I make doesn’t work (nowhere near that), and that’s fine, I either start over or let it cure for my box of refuse that usually ends up on 40k bases. I’m trying to make nice ones for the purposes of the tutorials, but trust me the process is a fluid one. The more ideas we can collect here the better.

4 Likes

Wow, fantastic mate

You’ve exceeded expectations, that were high already

Thanks so much this will definitely be bookmarked for future projects

3 Likes

Haha I can’t believe you did it :rofl: awsome!

4 Likes

Oh, great thread! Ive had one of those for years but never got around to actually try it for real. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Then this is the time @tjub … start making some tentacles now!

5 Likes

Yessss! If @tjub gets on a roll here, this thread will really be kraken!
:hat4: .
:lol0: .

5 Likes

Maggots

A Reaver recreation inspired by @Uther.the.unhinged’s daughter!

1. Start with a chubby log with rounded ends

2. Roll grooves

3. Optional step. Use one flat side and one grooved side to knock down the amplitude of the grooves. This step is unnecessary if using small plates, debatably necessary with medium plates, and likely necessary using large plates. Do this very lightly, only one or two passes.

4. Large, medium, and small maggots using the same plate pairs respectively. I post processed nasty faces on these with a dental pick. The larger one might benefit from some teeny leg texture as well which could be added after cure. Gently squeezing your maggots at each end will result in a relatively fatter looking maggot. Any fingerprints resulting there could be remedied with a wet sculpting tool and/or as part of making the nasty maw.

5. Worship Nurgle, if you’re into that sort of thing.

8 Likes

Ammonites

A Reaver recreation from this video at about 4 minutes

1. Create a conical tube similar to step 1 of roots tutorial

2. Using pair of large plates, try to maintain the cone while creating grooves. It can be hard to do this without blurring the texture as the plates want to slide down along the cone. Try your best to maintain the plates relative position and only translate them along the grooves. I find that a couple of deliberate strokes here is best as opposed to many repeated passes. This one took several tries. You’ll figure it out!

3. Coil it up using a tool ideally pressing only in the grooves so as not to disturb your work. Getting the coil started is the tricky part so make sure the tool is wet.

4. I have a MIGHTY NEED for these. I cannot share any other details at this time

Here’s a sample of these embellished with barnacles and snail ladies.

12 Likes

Great tutorial!

3 Likes

Updated the ammonite post with final results that will be used in my familiars unit.

2 Likes

Snakes

1. Align two same size plates with corrugation parallel. Pictured below with both plates facing up for display purposes only.

2. Translate plates along the diagonal as shown vertically in the picture. Try to keep the plates from moving horizontally to keep the texture crisp. This should give you some diamonds on along the tube. If they end up too pronounced for your scaly preferences you could GENTLY come back over with one flat plate and one corrugated side to knock the ridges down.

3. Place snakes on plane. Not very many of these came out crisp as I was still learning on the fly, but maybe this still gives some kind of idea.

3 Likes

Spiral tubing

1. Align two same size plates with the corrugation 90 degrees from each other. Pictured below with both plates facing up for display purposes only. This is similar to crosshatch tubing except you will translate the plates along the diagonal.

2. Translate plates along the diagonal as shown vertically in the picture. Try to keep the plates from moving horizontally to keep the texture crisp.

3 Likes

You are in a roll @Reaver

I’ll see myself out

3 Likes

Very similar to previous makes from @Reaver but another great use is making tails (for skaven or what have you)

Start out by taking a small pea size ball of greenstuff.

Roll it out into a small sausage, giving it a slight taper.

Use the back of two plates to taper it more until you got it at the desired length.

Use the large plate from the small tentacle makler set and roll the tapered greenstuff between the plates, grooves aligned the same way.

Then, very gently, smooth out the beads made by the tentacle roller and add a sharp tip to the thinnes bit of the taper.

Lastly you can add some twitst and bends to them to make them look like tails and add that dynamic movement to them.

EDIT: Oh and a little trick @Admiral has tought me… these thin tips can get very fragile, coating them in superglue after the GS has cured makes them a lot more durable!

6 Likes

The result

3 of these are plastic tails… can you tell which ones?

6 Likes

Excellent tutorial! Flawless results. Super glue is king to give green stuff tips toughness.

Could it be tails (from left to right) number 1, 3 and 9?

2 Likes

Could be! I honestly cant remember!

2 Likes