Hobby Group Auxillia Work

Other work by Admiral:

Chaos Dwarf Stories & Background (everything marked Admiral)

40k: Descendant Degeneration

Deviantart Gallery

The Red Host of Nir-Kezhar

Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts

Squattish Shooters Ahoy!

Thread start copied from old Chaos Dwarfs Online.

Welcome! This is the log where I’ll post anything which I’ve converted and/or painted for others. Most of my hobby work is not done for my own armies, but rather for my brother’s and our friends’ collections.

It’s a great way to experience modelling and painting all miniatures in Warhammer without buying them. :smiley:

Background might be added later on as my friends work that out.

Sorry for the glossy-gloss varnish. Most paintjobs are old, some models are damaged and awaiting repairs. Matt varnish will eventually catch up with everyone.

Let’s begin with the miniscule finished Lustrian collection. Consisting of one Saurus Drummer and an Elven courier who’ve been through hardships without end in the jungle.

The Saurus has on his base the first or second whole model I ever sculpted, namely a Pygmy Halfling who angered the reptile. Spawning of Tepok and Sotek.

Whilst the Elf have a baby Ancylosaurus.

Here’s a sculpted version of my brother’s cat. Christmas present. Beside the old, ragged Elf sculpt.

The cat was on one tournament the army general of a friends quarter-painted Skaven army. Here she is with some giants rat. Plus a test Skaven/Kobold converted from a BFSP Night Goblin.

Speaking of vermin, next are some Gobbos I painted for two friends.

My brother also have the Undead variant. Fun to convert:

Note the small Squigs, the entrails, the mummy and the fish shield.

My brother’s excentric Undead army have headless Dire Wolves. The primary reason is dislike with the big heads in the plastic kit. Background-wise it’s logical for Dire Wolves to go headless sometimes, since Old World peasants behead any wolf corpse they find as an obstacle for Undeath.

Note Halfling head and rat on base.

A friend of ours also have some Undead. Here are a few Mantic Skeletons which I painted in Empire colours, including shield symbols. Can you spot their origin? The middle swordsguy is painted by the friend.

Said mate also have Warriors of Chaos. Here’s Fetth the Flyface, bringer of many laughs and built from plastic sprue, filler, super glue and green stuff.

This thing may now be an Eye of the Gods marker, but since that didn’t exist when I built it for another friend, he thought I was an idiot for making that out of soft airgun pellets. He was funny to listen to when he condemned the pathetic nature of the eye pile! :smiley:

Yarr! My brother’s pirate.

And his Elves. We developed their colour scheme when painting Lotr High Elves years back. We’re slow painters (though we’re picking up speed and method now) and have no finished unit to speak of.

Elves are fairy fey for starters, so to make them convincing, grounded and lethal they needed a pretty dark and realistic colour scheme. No pinks here!

Note cloaks on the Swordmasters.

And lastly we have one of five WIP Raven Heralds. Note saddle bags.

Some weeks ago I played two quick 1000 pts games against a visiting friend and my brother with mainly unpainted stuff. In my first game the Hellcannon without crew was the sole survivor and victor on the battlefield. In the second game it was my brother’s Elf Mage, who blasted the only remaining enemy (my Hellcannon, again) to smithereens in the last turn.

As usual, my cat wished to partake in the battle. She toppled some Elves through mere clumsiness.

Most of the featherwork have been made on my brother’s Raven Heralds. Some more of that, and then there’ll be bowstrings and needle arrows. Chuck in heads and some extra package and they’re off to his paintstation.

A lot of hobby work has been carried out alongside my brother on Night Goblins and Elves. However, I didn’t bring the camera to his place, so no picture proof of it.

But there’s more proof of Cat’Daai destroyer on the rampage! She intervened in the battle during turn 2, avoided my counts-as CDs (BFSP Night Goblins) and scythed through the High Elves.

Enjoy:

Cat enters the battlefield. She loves Warhammer, both the tabletop game and the workshop part.

The dice is tossed. What will the D6 show?

It must have been a stupidity check. The tower is under attack!

She’s a docile K’daai, yet the same cannot be said for that whipping tail…

Tail attack!

It’s rampaging through the Swordmasters!

The Elves were saved when the Cat’Daai Destroyer fled from the battlefield.

It still ended in a High Elf victory.

Our cats often accompany us when we do Warhammer stuff. My brother’s cat usually interrupts him mid-work by occupying his lap, and my cat is so nosey and friendly when I work on something that she delayed work on the Chaos Dwarf headtakers by perhaps a whole day in total when I converted them in a long sweep two years ago. Rest assured, the fearsome Cat’daai Destroyer has grazed many a tabletop battle since last update, but we lack picture proof of it. Got to take some new ones. Our cats were odd for kittens to begin with, but they’re getting even more eccentric and cute in their own ways with age. :slight_smile:

This update is however not about something as lethal as cats. It’s about something pathetic in comparison, namely a Maulerfiend conversion I’ve been working on-and-off with for a Skaven-collecting friend of mine. It’s based on a sketch he drew. My buddy magnetized a rectangular base so that it could be used as a K’daai Destroyer.

He was so eager about the conversion that he managed to sneak it past other projects in my queue… Still, the sculpting was surprisingly quick work and was over before you knew it. Couldn’t have done it so fast three years ago:

And here’s the painted version, alongside his brother. Not painted by me (though the Squats in the foreground are):

WIP Ballista Ogre for my brother’s army, still needs a Gnoblar hunted by a White Lion cub. Will be magnetized so he can either sit on a round artillery base as a Repeater Bolt Thrower, or a 40mm square base as a Leadbelcher:

A finished prototype first rank norse Dwarf which I painted for my brother’s small Dwarf army, based almost exclusively on Avatars of War. This particular regiment are converted Bronzeshields (who, along with their Ironshield elders, are constantly out of stock from AoW). Belt pouch and knife feature on all other regiment members, and all will have backpacks, as will they have cleaned Marauder shields akin to Kadrin Drakk, a beautifully converted and painted 6th edition Dwarf army featured in White Dwarf which have inspired us a lot. Snow to be added later:

The CSM-collecting friend, let’s call him J.A.B, inspected the newer starter kit Chaos Space Marine lord and Khârn, as well as the new Primaris Marines and probably a few older Space Marine character sculpts. He concluded that hip armour looks good and solves the silly look achieved by the thin thighs of plastic Space Marine legs. Some weeks ago, he visited his parents, brought a gaggle of heretical Marines and asked me to make hip armour on them. Quicksculpted, without time-consuming rivets, difficult spikes or suchlike. He was content, and after returning home to his study town he sent down Berzerkers to receive like treatment, and a FW Necron centipede which needed replacement antennae. I’ve tinkered with them since they arrived yesterday.

Below are the results. Note “KIL KIL KIL” on the knife Berzerker’s segmented plates. Also see his painted Lord of Change.

Furthermore, my brother, alias EEJR, have ambitious conversion projects for his High Elf army, which in its plans include contingents from every part of Ulthuan and a little more. Many unique units have already been converted, particularly on the cavalry front. Here is the latest finished converted Elves of his, a handful of Avelorn Spearmen with large circlets:

WIP for my brother’s little power armoured collection. Grey Knight legs and helmets and Sanguinary Guard shoulder pads and torsos. Hip plates added to remedy thin thighs syndrome. Cloaks from Anvil Industry to be added later:

Snapped this poor picture in a rush during an ongoing major sorting, cleaning and moving of furniture job in the family. An old sculpt of a Moria Goblin corpse lying amid rubble, its dessicated bones still draped in fraying clothes and with frail hair still clinging to its skull. Based on the imagery of Dwarf skeletons in Khazad-Dûm, with a WHFB High Elf for scale reference.

Death to the Goblins!

Platypus Ogre done for Eisenhans during a tournament. Tail sculpted in car:

A Dark Eldar turned into an Eldar Fire Dragon converted for my brother. He thoroughly checked the Dark Eldar sprues back when they were new, and meticulously came up with ways to turn all manner of DE weaponry into Eldar Aspect Warriors with a little converting. More to come:

Also, a team of ottermen converted from Skaven Blood Bowl players for Eisenhans. Quick-sculpted in car and at tournaments as per anatomical instructions:

Slaaneshi Daemonprince converted for a friend:

My friend told me to axe the @$$ and instead go for a lean Daemon Prince of Arrogance look, not Lust. As per his instructions, there is now also shin armour plates with images of Elf torture: What else? I also added two lone flowing pteruges dangling from its belt. I’ll show you the painted end result whenever he finish this creation:

Bonus Daemon Prince:

Kill Team

A mate of ours has moved back home after years of studying abroad, while a friend of my brother have returned to the hobby after a long break. Combine this with the recently released Kill Team, and we’ve got a hobby frenzy cooking with making characters, goons and terrain for a mash-up campaign between Kill Team and RPGs. Here is the first harvest of quick-sculpting and conversions, soon back to commercial sculpts.

Kastellan Ironstrider, a mate’s cyborg:

Badoom! Broadbeard, a loudmouth one-Dwarf illegal radio station sending live from his heists and battles. My character:

Gnorke Radfizzle, a Gnome sharpshooter with rad weapons, for my brother’s friend:

The gang so far:

Gnorke Radfizzle’s car:

The friend who has written all the rules and organizes the whole effort has had me convert a gaggle of goons. Here’s psyker Spikeskull:

And Badoom! Broadbeard’s hateful rival, Adman:

And finally Gnorke Radfizzle painted by said friend (I had nothing to do with painting). My brother’s mate is in for a treat!

Forest Trolls

I recently attended a Post-Apocalyptic event for the fourth time. Played havoc in a comic figure way as a shouting and stomping soldier (and utter treacherous bastard) in the usual way. A couple of people there got into contact with me afterwards, and came up with the idea to sculpt some folksy forest trolls in the style of John Bauer. They wanted that for an army of their own, and rightfully thought there to be niche for that sort of thing.

However, the project queue is rather full for a good while ahead, and sculpting such miniatures to a good enough standard to warrant casting and selling would take its fair amount of time. So instead I offered to sculpt some pieces really quick for them to have cast themselves, and then pin together and add on tails, ears, tools, weapons, sacks and so on by their own hands. Hasty stuff cooked up in very few days at all with minimum care, but still a fun little thing to tackle. I’ll give a heads-up somewhere if their homecasting goes fine and if they decide to sell a little excess on the side, in case anyone is interested. Will have to be revisited properly for the range sometime way down the pipeline:

I’ve painted nothing of the Kill Team stuff, only converted it. All painted by Johan von Elak, for your display here below.

Badoom! Broadbeard:

During most of our Kill Team-RPG games we’ve actually had music playing to represent both the immediate sonic barrage emitted by Broadbeard’s loudspekers, and the music he transmits across hacked radio channels (with comments of media moguls jumping from windows as their enterprises gets destroyed by Broadbeard’s escapades). He obviously also report live from the field, and is the lousiest sneak, at skulking up on enemies, you’ve ever encountered. Clearly, the audio-disturbed mister Broadbeard has ruined many lives through his noisome adventures. Which leads us to…

Ladies and gentlemen! Allow me to introduce to you the one and only Ad-Man! At a discount. This succesful salesman had his chin-shining career and life shattered by the hacking menaces of Badoom! Broadbeard’s hated pirate radio. A madman down on his luck, the Ad-Man now take any little advertising job he can find, says all the old salesman lines cheerfully all the time, even while killing others, although his baleful inner nature will occasionally break through in his speech as he devilishly shoves enormous doses of medicine down his rival Broadbeard’s throat. Note washing-up liquid Molotov cocktail:

Gnorke Radfizzle and Badoom! Broadbeard in a hostile encounter with the Ad-Man. Such concentrated infamy!

The same gangsters meeting Count Orcula. He doesn’t drink… vine. Face, collar and cloak sculpted:

As of currently in our Kill Team campaign, the irradiated Gnome criminal Gnorke Radfizzle (wanted across six continents!) has been captured by the authorities. Will this dastardly bastard escape from the clutches of justice?

Find out in next episode of Kill Team!

Furthermore, I’ve been using the Warhammer fortress as a green stuff dumping place. Whenever I’ve got some sculpting putty left over, I’ve often pressed it to the crevices of the glued-together towers, eventually filling up and sculpting over the corners. Creeper plants were added by attaching wire and birch seed leaves with contact glue. Stones were painted in varied colours as per here (including with some stippled-on green and yellow and white moss spots), and then drybrushed all at once with light grey mixed with beige, and given a black wash. This was painted by me and my brother:

Lastly, the opportunity to photograph some old conversions got grabbed while at it. From Johan von Elak’s collection, converted by me:

Rat Ogres. Note the maimed Chaos Dwarf corpse. Hellcannon aesthetic, from years before before Legion of Azgorh was released. Also note the dripping acid disintegrating Night Goblins.

Human slaves. Kislevite and Arabyan. Note vodka flask filled with ratman urine which the man angrily throws out after tasting:

Gnoblars. I got used to making wire skeletons out of paper clips pinned into carved pieces of plastic sprue when building these fellows. Plastic Gnoblar in the middle. Gnoblars on 25mm base to fit into an Orc unit fielding this character model from Warhammer Online: Collector’s Edition.

Bloodbeard will run a homebrew Roman Risk boardgame for his school next year. He’s been hard at sculpting a Testudo formation, an Onager catapult, a temple and a fort. I helped out by quicksculpting some ships in between other stuff. Big one based on quinquiremes, the small one based on Liburnian patrol ships. Will also become available from Ramshackle Games thanks for their free casting service:

40k Chaos spider head for Johan von Elak:

Now painted by him:

Vampire head converted for a friend of Eisenhans (higher up in the tournament ranking):

Moving up further in ranking, here is a repaired/converted Whyvern for the wonderful and infamous eccentric who run tournaments in Västerås. The model was missing a body and right leg, so he asked if I could sculpt something for him.

Sure thing, I said, I’ll try to get something done during next tournament. During breaks on saturday and during the evening I sat and drilled in metal, pinning and gluing a wire skeleton. It didn’t look like the sculpting would be finished by a long shot.

But then my air mattress revealed a brand new leak, emptying itself in just an hour. I woke at 01:58 by bouncing my head against the floor. Hopeless quest for sleep with such equipment. There was nothing to it but sculpt for almost seven hours straight. I finished sculpting a quarter of an hour before the first game of sunday. Odd experience!

Mad Tower Rat for Eisenhans

Here is a very quick and shoddy sculpt that I cobbled together as a Christmas present for that infamous tournament scourge known as Eisenhans. He has built a crazy walking tower that is half a meter tall. So what would be a more natural next step than to add a urinating ratman with a 30cm long fluid string, to dangle above enemy units in the tower’s front arc as he waters them with his bursting bladder?

Garbed as a Mediaeval Roman.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks for watching: Comments and criticism are as welcome as always.

11 Likes

Great work as always mate. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very impressive stuff, and a lot of it too! An amazing repertoire.

2 Likes

That spider head is magnificent :spider:

2 Likes

So much cool stuff.

Worryingly my favourite is Flyface.
Oh him and your cat. You do your cat a mid-service though, the destruction of the high elves was clearly no accident. Astrocat is surely the reincarnated soul of a great Sorceror

2 Likes

So much cool stuff! Especially dig the platypus and ballistae Ogres. And the legs on that Daemon Prince are brilliantly done. Any chance the CD admiral is in the queue?

2 Likes

Thanks a lot folks!

@Uther.the.unhinged: Flyface was a fun little conversion. I first sculpted his belly and head, and then glued Chaos warrior hands into his sides. My brother and our friends burst out laughing at the sight of him. Cheers, Busan was fantastic in every way! :slight_smile:

@Jackswift: The admiral most certainly is! I’ve just been sidetracked by other stuff (not least a big commission), sorry about that. It’s the planned multipart nature of the kit and the wish to do your quality concept full justice that has slowed him down so much, otherwise I could have finished him in between other projects a good while ago. But i hope the wait will be worth it in the end.

I hope to get sculpting on him undisturbed later this year, sometime after finishing the big commission and moving a lot of stuff over from old CDO to new.

1 Like

Hobby overload :exploding_head: puts my hobby work to shame

Amazing stuff as ever, I love that car conversion :grin:

2 Likes

@GhraskDragh : Thanks a lot! And no shame on you or others. Never compare yourself and find yourself wanting. Always be inspired, never downput by the creations of others. :smile:

Stage 1 of building a rat hrone for @Eisenhans. With the fore ram of a ramshackle ancient galley, a small patrol ship called pentekonteroi, but built by shoddy rats:

9 Likes

Very well done spruecraft!

2 Likes

Hahaha I was waiting for this pun!

2 Likes

Right… I’ve waded trough this thread! What a great and diverse collection of beauties.

It makes me want to start sculpting (again-isch) but I should focus a bit more on painting insteaf of getting sidetracked in what would surely be a giant rabbit hole with all the great sculpting inspiration on this forum.

I love the platypus ogre, it reminds me of Alfred J. Kwak but on steroids.

2 Likes

Very impressive build! This is going to look awesome.

I also looked at some other works in this thread once again and still have a difficult time getting over those cool Roman ships having been “quick-sculpted in between other stuff” :smile:

2 Likes

@Reaver : Thanks a lot!

@MichaelX : It is inevitable!

Thank you most kindly. Becoming a sculptor for casting is an extremely likely hazard when joining CDO. :wink:

@Antenor: Thank you very much! Well, it was! Very quick work. The below is kind of also quick and shoddy. It takes a lot longer time because it’s so much bigger, but it’s done with a minimum of detail and care. Luckily Skaven don’t build fine stuff so that’s alright.

Stage 2 and 3 of building a rat throne for @Eisenhans . Much of this shoddy basecoat quicksculpting so to speak has been done by mixing green stuff and milliput.

And just what is the meaning of these 29 shields? Based on this concept doodle:

Stay tuned for the answer!

8 Likes

Oh I wish my work was as shoddy as yours.

Really it looks like it will be very cool.

2 Likes

@Uther.the.unhinged : Thank you most kindly!

Rat Throne for Eisenhans

A ramshackle structure towered over the battlefield, borne aloft on something which looked like timber scaffolding on wheels pulled by hundreds of lowly ratmen. This mobile tower took the form of a compressed little patrol galley, without oars and aft hull. Instead of a sail it sported a large, triangular bronze plate adorned with a rat king encircled by a tattered laurel wreath.

A garish smattering of hide-bound kite shields encrusted its wooden flanks in tasteless fashion, as if the filthy rat folk had once seen human galleys sporting warriors’ shields hanging along their sides, and attempted to replicate the look based on hearsay and sloppy enthusiasm. The result was a tacky plastering of shields without pattern or order, a chaotic jumble that contrasted with the symmetrical pleasure bridge of the landborne vessel.

Upon this bridge, a depraved sorcerer reclined on a divan coated in untarnished silks, clad in a purple toga of the same exotic material. Not a single hole could be seen gnawed or torn in his luxurious fabrics, and likewise the sorcerer’s body was pristine, without malformed parts or scars. His physique was that of a tall athlete, still at his muscular prime yet bulked out with a generous coat of fat born from orgiastic indulgences and shameful feasting at opulent banquets.

The horned verminkin sorcerer paid no heed at all to the battlefield below him, for his entire attention was focused upon satiating his base desires in the most decadent ways imaginable. Serving slaves tended to his every need, fanning his tanned hide, refilling his silver goblet and attending to his fleshly needs by means of clawed hands performing a wicked massage with expert care.

In fact the entire ship contraption was obscene. A careful observer borne aloft on a winged steed would have been able to count twentytwo exposed phalli, crafted or natural, living flesh or dead trophies, and that number included the ship’s long ram. Bells clanged as the ramshackle construct shook and swayed high above the teeming, skittering battlelines, and occasionally coins, wine amphorae and other heaped treasures would spill over the railing and rain down to the ground with clatter and bangs.

The sorcerous rat master seemed oblivious to the mortal danger which he had placed himself in, whether from the acute risk of his crude, towering vehicle toppling over, or from foeman deeds. He emanated an arrogant and lusty self-confidence, laidback and carefree, nobly bred and spoiled rotten in his prime. His bearing was lordly yet was strangely bereft of any suspicious glances and paranoid arrangements to protect his back from assassination and treachery. Reclining there on the divan, spilling fine wine on his rich clothes while a slave girl busied herself at his rolled-up toga, the ratman seemed an incarnation of hubris and sin.

In fact, the horned party wizard commanded undying and absolute loyalty from the handful of heavily armoured guards that were strewn across his landship tower. These were placed on the aft deck and on little wooden platforms at starboard and port, hefting sharp polearms and beating a drum made from human skin. Their martial presence reinforced the impression of might, for armed violence is always the secret of power.

The pompous splendour and costly luxury on display was matched by crude trophies dangling from the mast. Two jawless ratman skulls were strung up under the horizontal beam, and the hanged corpse of a freshly slain and blinded southron dwarf in full wargear boasted of the far reach of the decadent warlord’s campaigns. This southern trophy was matched by an equally distant northern one, for one of the elusive frost elves of the frigid northron lands could be seen nailed to the aft of the pleasure ship, an exotic borean grotesque to match the equally strange highlander from the hot south.

Clearly, the ambitions of this sorcerous hedonist aimed to win similar noteworthy trophies from far western and far eastern lands in future wars for his baleful collection. For as his fleshly appetites were insatiable, so his hunger for power over others could not be quenched. His will to power was a cup without bottom, impossible to fill.

Time would tell if the orgiastic warlock of the middle sea would succeed in his savage quest, or whether he would meet a spectacular and grisly end to regale the songs of a thousand bards in a hundred lands for centuries to come.

And so the scratchbuilt and quicksculpted throne build for Eisenhans’ host of Skintaxmountain draws to a close after weeks of fervent sculpting, gluing, drilling and clipping. It is built to his instructions, as you probably cannot avoid noticing, with all manner of surprise features thrown in on top.

The end rush of working on it during the last two weeks or so was meticulously planned out in a long checklist of steps upon steps, and the project plans fortunately met no major hiccups, although minor corrections were required in many places when test-fitting together the components.

This was an immensely fun behemoth to build, and I realize now that it is completed that such a project to this standard for some commercial client would have amounted to easily over € 2’000 if one started to count working hours and assume that I’m cheap (which is the case). That is obviously of no matter. It’s always so fun and rewarding to help friends and brother out in the hobby!

Ladies and gentlemen, for those of you who are brave enough to gaze upon this creation, may I present to you the pleasure ship of Bill Clintus and Monica Ratzynski in flagrante delicto! The future scourge of Swedish tournaments. It will be a magnetized component which @Eisenhans can mount atop various large Skaven contraptions, depending on his army list. Since he think the concept of Roman rats is silly, I made sure to make his rat throne extremely Roman, with the kite shields as a nod to the medieval Roman/Byzantine military.

With a weight of 306 grammes and a height of 18,5 centimetres, this better be securely magnetized and fitted with strong pins and other contraptions to lock it securely in place to the ramshackle constructs it will adorn in the future. Likewise, the contraptions and their bases ought to receive extra weight to counter any top-heavy tendences. In the first place it needs to survive its gangly position if its owner shall have any chance at all of claiming prizes in tournaments’ painting competitions. A broken model claims no glory.

Large parts of the build needed to be basecoated before I glued parts together, because otherwise all manner of nooks and crannies may not have been reachable during Eisenhans’ painting later on. Ergo the messy look of the finished pictures.

At the end of this update you can find various instructions which I included for Eisenhans to follow during future assembly of loose ratmen after painting.

Cheers!

Planning the diorama with unglued pieces:

Planning out the shield positions for assembly, unglued. I documented which areas of which shields’ backsides needed sculpting (i.e. those in any way visible from any angle) to save on green stuff. Gluing shield pins to the hull was the last step before photography:

The plinth started out as a crow’s nest, but that idea was quickly scrapped because it drew attention away from the divan (notice how the triangular metal sail point like an arrow to the hedonist sorcerer). Instead it was given fascinus ornaments and other decorations, and its capital was very loosely based on Corinthian columns, but cloudy or wavy with no fine detail.

Note that drill holes were carefully matched between the plinth and the underside of the ship build. The right pins for the right holes were marked out by the number of bands penciled onto them. A fine marker pen was used frequently, and proved a great help for building it all to fit stuff together.

Rat Throne 09b

The aft sections of the ship. The platform’s rim was given egg-and-dagger decor:

A bored and lonely guardsman inspired by the ignoble example set by his boss. Note gladius and pteruges:

The Stormvermin guard force:

The Clanrat guard force. Note the clumsy gambeson cloth armour of the rightmost rat, with its bound-up sleeves and helmet made of rivetted-together metal bands; both features of Byzantine footsoldiers:

The northron trophy from distant battlefields is a Frost Elf. Fantasy Finnic Wood Elf. Given Eisenhans’ sense of humour, we might say that the knife-eared Elfling is stuck to the stinking posterior of the ship:

The southron trophy from distant battlefields is a Gavemite. Fantasy Ethiopian Dwarf. This incidentally makes Eisenhans the first owner of any such miniature in the world! Expect conversion tutorials and some miniature sculpt for casting to come in future years for this well-illustrated concept:

Bill Clintus and Monica Ratzynski with lowly feather slave, prior to assembly:

The ship prior to basecoating and assembly. Note the small symbols on the back of the mast, featuring the last human ruler of Avras quartered by four Vermin Hulks (you can find other Roman rat concept drawings here):

The finished build, land flagship of Classis Phallus Maximus Rattus Rattus! You can buy these metal amphorae here.

Rat Throne 17e
Rat Throne 17f

And finally the assembly instructions for the loose Skaven miniatures, to be glued in place once Eisenhans has painted them:

Rat Throne Instruction 02

Rat Throne Instruction 05

14 Likes

Utterly gorgeous. Brilliantly realised concept that shows the joy and possibilities of historically inspired fantasy!

Almost makes me want to play skaven/ratmen/verminkind

3 Likes

Not sure what word i could use as “beautifull”, “lovely”, “gorgeous” dont feel right, but “disguisting”, “deprived” and such words are too negative… I it’s a beautifully sculpted piece of a very perverted scene :smiley:
i love it!

@Eisenhans Please paint this as soon as possible and PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF HASHUT, POST PICTURES!

3 Likes

Really well done, I dig the Roman theme. After having listened to @Tyranno talking about the hobgoblin army book over on the Brazen Broadcast, I presume it’s a Ninth Age thing to give the fantasy races a historically inspired aesthetic? Makes them so much better and unique in my book.

Thinking about it, the Byzantine/Roman-ratmen connection is really fitting: for instance, if I remember correctly, the Romans dug tunnels in siege warfare to undermine the enemy’s defences. That’s what I meant, this historical connection gives so much inspiration and enthusiasm for new batshit crazy army projects. Well done, @Admiral! I have to excuse myself now and calm down a bit. Otherwise I might end up mutilating my IoB skaven. :wink:

6 Likes

@Uther.the.unhinged : Thank you most kindly, sir! Warms my heart to hear.

@MichaelX : Haha! Thanks a lot! And indeed he must. :smiley:

@Anzu : Thank you very much! Aye, correct. In a time when so much fantasy has gone toward copyrightable IP mania and thus ditched the historical basis, T9A went in the opposite direction.

Well observed! Most fitting there. And please do mutilate some Isle of Blood Skaven to Rome 'em up. :hatoff:

Premier for Astro-Ungarian Infantry Conversions

Lo and behold, ladies and gentlemen! General von Dorfenhötz and his murderously optimistic plans are coming to the grim darkness of the far future near you. Prepare for glorious festive balls, uniforms with class and armies poor in morale and equipment. Brace yourselves for noble finery, gambling, partying and embezzlement. Stand to attention at the incoming footsteps of shrieking incompetence, lack of supplies, misery in the field and grand offensives cooked up by an energetic moron and unbreakable optimist. And gaze at the moustaches on display!

The Imperial and Royal forces of glorious Astro-Ungaria are being shipped out to serve the Divine Imperator and the Mortal Duarch of their homeworld. In large numbers will they march, underfunded, underequipped and with faulty training. Following the cult of the offensive, they will rush like heroes into the jaws of death, and die as martyrs like wheat before a scythe, to the clinking of crystal glasses in luxurious bunkers behind the line…

How does it feel to serve a rotting Imperium?

Euphoric!

These are the first Astro-Ungarian conversions for my friend J.A.B. Much more will follow. Tutorials for sculpting headgear and moustaches can be found here.

9 Likes