Insectoid's Unbaraki of Mingol Dumang

Part 1 - Still Ahead: A Look Back

I’ve first started playing a Chaos Dwarf army during the times of 6th Edition WHFB. I was pretty young back then, and there were no local game stores around my area, so I had to visit tournaments in order to meet other players. It was here that I first came into contact with Chaos Dwarfs, and what can I say - I got hooked. I was already playing Orcs and Goblins back then, so converting a force of greenskin slaves was rather easy. Then, Battle for Skull Pass happened and provided me with easily-accessable dwarfs to convert. Looking for inspiration on the internet, it was around that time when I first stumbled upon this website and the works of people like Xander, Ishkur Cinderhat and Snotling. Excited by their beautiful conversions, I attacked my pile of plastic bitz, hellbent on creating something equally awesome.

But I did not. I was only a foolish pre-teen with little skill, limited access to cool bitz, no understanding or patience for the use of Green Stuff and an allowance of roughly 30 € per month. So, this is about the size of what I ended up with:

Some of my converted dwarfs. All the bitz were cut-up with questionable skill, no sculpting at all. The beards were left wild and uncurled (HERESY!). I still like the idea of using bits of drums and horns as headgear, though.

Two hobgoblins. I initially used the Night Gobbos from BFSP, but later git ambitioue to create my own look. A few of these survived in my bitz bix, with these two representing me never quite getting down what colour their skin was supposed to have.

Orc and Black Orc Slaves. At that age, I hardly had any money to buy large and impressive war machines. Bit I had just enough to buy a box of infantry every two months. So I had a lot of these. They were not terribly effective.

A Sorcerer. Maybe one of the most ambitious models I painted back then. I still kinda like the model and think I did okay, considering how old I was.

Unfortunately, to make a short story even shorter, I hit puberty some time later, and all my interest in Warhammer faded away for quite a long time. When after many years I returned to the setting as an adult looking to rekindle an old flame, the entire world had just blown up. That took some time to digest.
I eventually got back into the hobby though, and managed to work my head around the changes that Age of Sigmar brought to the setting. It was during the Covid-19 pandemic, bei g forced to stay at home during the lockdown period, that I stumbled overy old dwarfs again and decided to re-tackle the issue of converting myself an army of evil, curly-bearded, mesopotamian-cosplaying, demon-wrangling industrialist shortstacks again.

To be continued…

15 Likes

I think your old Dwarf conversions look great! Makes me curious to see what you’ll come up with next.

1 Like

Great start to your blog. Impressive converting and painting for a pre-teen. Far better than me anyway.
Nows a great time to build your army for the return of the olde worlde. Looking forward to see how your skills and vision of chaos dwarfs has matured.

Okay, I read this yesterday and did the math. I feel I need to clarify that I was somewhere between 14 and 16 years old when I did these so “pre-teen” was maybe the wrong word to use… I googled the translation :sweat_smile: I hit puberty pretty late, though.

4 Likes

Part 2 - Getting Back on Track

So, as I mentioned, it was during the pandemic when I thought about re-starting a Chaos Dwarf army project again. I had begun my return to the hobby a year or two before, initially just painting and converting models for two army projects (Skaven and Orruk Warclans) and getting back into the new lore through various podcasts and audiobooks. Despite initial doubts (espescially when I first saw the aptly-nicknamed Sigmarines), I found myself quickly infatuated with the new AOS setting, mostly because of the enormous creative freedom it allowed when coming up with ideas and lore for projects, and how the new lands of the Mortal Realms could influence an army’s style, tactics etc. Remembering my old fascination with Chaos Dwarfs, I decided to dig up what new lore there was around for them, and that way I retroactively stumbled upon the Legion of Azgorh army list a long time after its initial release. I was excited by the new, grimdark design of their units and how they managed to maintain their original mesopotamic flavour and combine it with gritty, brutal industrialism and the enslavement of daemons. I also loved their new, WW1-artillery-train-like warmachines, which at the time inspired me to create my own Iron Daemon model as a side project, eventually hoping to branch out into a full-on Legion of Azgorh army.

(I think I somehow messed up the ‘grimdark’ part, but I’m still happy with the general idea, and I hope to use the model again soon and with a proper paintjob.)

Unfortunately for my ambitions, the lockdown ended soon after and real life got in the way of me continuing where I started off as I had to return to my regular workplace. Also, a little later, I somehow budded another, tiny human being, which from then on continued to demand care and attention from me and thus further delayed my hobby schedule.

Some point after that, however, I managed to break free from my obligations long enough to create this:

I was not quite content with the color scheme, however, and also, around the same time, got somewhat demotivated by the fact that Legion of Azgorh had just been squatted as an official army list for AOS.

Enter 2022 and its leaks of the new Slaves to Darkness Battletome and the Horns of Hashut! Since these news, I’ve been planning on how to create a Slaves to Darkness army using Chaos Dwarf models.
Using Chaos Warriors as Chaos Dwarf Warriors came pretty natural. I just changed the bases to a larger size, and I finally managed to nail down what color scheme I wanted to use for them:

I also had already been riding the Dominion Box hype-train previously, and had therefore collected a bunch of beautiful, cheap hobgoblin models which could passably work as Chaos Marauder proxies with very slight conversions. This is the first one I painted, trying to get down their proper skin color once and for all:

As is visible through the shield, since starting this project in earnest, I also managed to grab hold of two boxes of the new Horns of Hashut, copying their shield motif through use of Blue Stuff.

Next up, I’ll post some pictures of the army’s first few Warriors, heroes and a monster/warmachine. I wanna do that proper though and write down some fluff first to provide a little background. That might take a bit, so hopefully this is enough for now :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

What kind of chaos dwarf models do you want to use? Do you have a preference? There are now quite a few alternative manufacturers if you need left … just let me know! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I’ve always loved the big hat aesthetic, but also the more serious masked look of hellcannon crew / Legion of Azgorh. For now, I’m using the headpieces of Abyssal Dwarfs from Mantic and bodies from GW dwarfs. Mantic stuff is quite cheap for how much bits you get out of one box, so I’m using it to stretch out the contents of my bitz bix atm

Eventually, I’m eyeing some models from Lost Kingdom (particularly Immortals), but since I don’t have access to a printer, I’d have to save up a bit before buying any of it. I also like Russian Alternative’s stuff. Probably not the best time to order something from them, though :neutral_face:

And I definitely want an asscannon in my army :sweat_smile: I’ve been eyeing the one from Ewil Dwergar, but also contemplate building one myself.

3 Likes

Hope to see more soon! Very clever hat kitbashes!

1 Like

Part 3 - The Fall

In the Age of Myth, on the wind-swept plains of the Ghurish continent of Gallet, an espescially stubborn and hardy clan of wandering duardin, swarthy and black of beard, once founded a mighty stronghold whose name has since been lost to memory, known now for centuries only as the Lost Hold. Fighting off the voracious local megafauna as well as neighbouring greenskin and ogor tribes, they dug deep and made their home far beneath the earth, protected from the raging storms on the continent’s surface through hidden tunnels, cunning runic traps and high walls of granite and black marble. In the mineral-rich crust of Gallet, they mined for precious ores and gemstones, clearing out and fortifying a large network of surrounding natural tunnels and establishing underground trade routes with the nearest human settlements. Through this trade, they grew large and prosperous indeed, but it was their discovery of a large underground deposit of amberbone, the infamous realmstone of Ghur, that should cement their rise to power and considerable influence within the region they inhabited. More than that, their exploits had drawn the attention of the Pantheon, and soon contracts were made with the Collegiate Arcane, exchanging realmstone for ever greater profits and arcane secrets of metallurgy and smithing from the realms of Chamon and Azyr, allowing the duardin craftsmen to reach ever greater heights of skill.
In time, however, their industriousness turned to greed, and their lust for discovering new and more esoteric ways to hone their craft would begin to turn their initial allies against them. With each passing year, they began demanding higher prices for the amberbone they dug out of the ground as parting with the precious material became more and more difficult. Where once they had been skillfull hagglers and diplomats, they became ever more secretive, reclusive and distrustful of everyone not from their own hold. In truth, this was because in their pursuit of knowledge they had begun experimenting with the magical substance themselves, seeking ways to refine it and tame its unbridled, bestial energy through runecraft and technology. On the strong-willed, magically-resistant minds of the duardin the vast quantities of ghurish realmstone the were handling every day began to have a rather curious effects. Where other races might have been driven to sheer animalistic fury by these concentrated energies, the duardin became ever more vicious and territorial, ever more unyielding and stubborn in their pursuits, almost as if the stone had awakened something within them, a shred of an ancient past long forgotten and buried deep within their ancestral memory.

When the Pantheon fell, the Age of Myth ended and the armies of Chaos swept all over the realms, the greenskin tribes of Ghur briefly united into one big Waaagh!, led by Gorkamorka himself. The duardin of the Lost hold were engulfed by these raging armies, estranged from their former allies and too isolated for any hope of military aid. In their desperation, they locked themselves deep within their underground fortress, digging ever deeper for more and more amberbone. Their once peaceful industry was turned to war, creating ever more powerful runic weapons and warmachines infused with the power of refined realmstone. While this granted them an edge in their many battles against more primitive foes like orruks and corrupted human tribesmen, wielding these bestial powers began to work ever more apparent changes upon both their bodies and spirit. Some among their number began to grow horns from their foreheads where an amberbone gem had been placed inside their helmet. Hands wielding weapons infused with the power of Ghur itself would grow into elongated claws, and an ornate warmask, imbued with glowing amber runes, would often hide a snarling, tusked grimace underneath. In the minds of their most powerful runelords, the booming echoes of a distant yet powerful voice would resound, offering relief from their troubles in exchange for worship and subjugation. While they initially attempted to resist, their thoughts became ever more clouded by strange images of fire and smoke, warning them of a great and terrible doom that was to come if they were not to obey. Some went insane, scrawling pictograms of a great skull, horned and bearded, in their own blood and excrement on the walls of their sacred forges. Others began preaching of the cowardice of Grungni and Sigmar who had forsaken them, and the foolish and egoistical way in which Grimnir had sought his doom, leaving his people unprotected in times of war. These prophets were put down at first, imprisoned or outright executed for their blasphemous speeches in orders of their king in order to keep the peace. But when the miners, digging ever deeper and ever more desperately for realmstone accidentally hit a magma vein, these doomspeakers’ dire warnings appeared all too true. The lower tunnels and mineshafts of the hold were consumed in a tide of molten stone that could not be stopped, eventually flooding the workshops and foundries in liquid fire. As the magma reached one of the large underground vaults in which the duardin kept their precious refined realmstone, it ate right through their massive steel gates and runic wards of protection as if empowered by something greater than mere heat. The resulting explosion shook the entire hold, collapsing the ceiling in many parts and setting others ablaze with amber flames. Countless duardin were killed, families torn apart and priceless libraries of runic knowledge and treasures and works of great artifice buried under rubble. In the resulting chaos, the most venerable of the surviving runesmiths, Gurhan Iron Shaper, maddened by visions of a great flaming bull, led a frenzied mob into the king’s hall. There, they slaughtered both him, his family and his honorguard and offered up their hearts and entrails on a great pyre to appease the commanding voice of the Great Bull God in his head. It was guidance he sought from this voice, and guidance it was that he should receive amidst the clouds of swirling, black smoke that choked the throne room and filled it with the sickly sweet smell of burning offal.

A dark bargain was struck that day, and soon after, as a group of bloodstained and embittered survivors left their collapsing hold through one of the many secret escape tunnels, a huge storm of ash and cinders erupted from deep crevices in the ground, scattering the besieging armies on the surface and covering the escape of those duardin who had sworn allegiance to Gurhan and his new god.

To be continued…

Edit: This was growing larger than expected as I wrote it, so I decided to split this post up in order to make it more digestible. This should also give me some time to rework a couple of things on my warrior models that still bother me. They will then hopefully be featured in the next post, along with the more recent history of my dwarfs.

7 Likes
  • Intermission -

Just a little update pic here. I’m currently going through converting some of my old dwarfs into the new style I’m going for. Atm just cutting off bits and pieces and adding new ones; after that it’s going to be Green Stuff for beards and (hopefully) scale mail. I’m going for a unit of 20 to use as Chaos Warriors.

I’ve finished one test model already. The mail and mask did not turn out too well I think. But I’m going to try my best at getting better.

I’ve also started work on a unit of 5 Immortals to use as Chosen. They are going to get the biggest hats currently available to me.

13 Likes
  • Intermission 2.0 -

These fell into my lap today (or rather, were gifted to me by my partner during a flea market at the local gaming shop).

Really excited to work with these beautiful old models. My army project just grew about three Chaos Dwarf Gorebeast Chariots bigger!

7 Likes

Can’t wait to see what you do with them! TK were my first Fantasy army :smile:

2 Likes

I have several AssCannons, in addition to the one from Old School Miniatures (now Ewal Dvergar), one from @Sjoerdo and one from @ATOM1 - you can see pictures of their models on my blog. Ask them if they still have an AssCannon.

The Dark Dwarves from Macrocosm Miniatures are also quite cool! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I already looted my bitz box to create one myself - I still got an old Hellcannon lying around, or at least, some chopped up bitz of it. There’s also an entire yet-unbuilt Khorne skullcannon to strip for parts. I’ll come up with something!

Those macrocosm minis are amazing though! I still ponder how to include the helm aesthetic into my more big hat-themed army aesthetically. Those old / retro modes are cool as hell! Maybe I’ll do a unit of various more “chaotic” dwarfs dedicated to a particular god at some point, just as an excuse to include them :cd1980:

2 Likes

I love the back story fluff! Great stuff. Thanks for sharing it

Awesome idea! :beer: I used old Citadel Goblin chariots with Chaos hounds from Gamezone Miniatures. :wink:

Hey thanks :hatoff:

As a non-native speaker I wasn’t sure if I’d hit the mark. Part Two is still in the works, hopefully with some pictures.

2 Likes

I guess I’m keeping it simple - I’ll use some Khorne Juggernauts as Gorebeasts. Still thinking about what to replace their heads with. Maybe some heads from the giant sprue. I’ll just have to modify the axle and jokes for a single beast instead of two horses.

I’m also pondering putting the charioteers on some elevated platform due to height differences. Or maybe on little crates so they can look over the sides of the chariot. That would make for a fun little detail. Then again, looking at the scale creep between my 7th edition dwarves and the newer models, maybe I won’t have to change anything. Hmmm…

1 Like

Part 4 - Doomforge

It is unknown how long Gurhan Iron Shaper and his faithful traveled across the valleys and canyons of Gallet. Their journey was perilous indeed, and many of them succumbed either to the merciless elements, flayed alive by dust storms, incinerated by lightning or blown over the edges of a steep cliff by a sudden gust of wind. Many more were claimed by greenskin ambushes or dragged away screaming at night by chitinious claws as the arachnoid megafauna of the region came out to hunt their prey.

It is known, however, that those who survived eventually made their way to a large cliff overlooking the barren and lifeless steppes of the Fasting Veldt, close to the coast of the Splitneck Sea. Here, below them, they discovered a valley where the earth itself cracked and splintered with volcanic activity and, interpreting this as a sign of their newfound deity, Gurhan and his corrupted runepriests made camp and performed another abominable ritual to commune with the Great Bull God. On their orders, those among their number too weak and infirm, too crippled or wounded to march on were chosen as sacrifices, their hearts cut out and entrails spilled into the flames of a quickly-assembled bonfire. As the last of these duardin was slain and their innards offered up to the flames, an ear-splitting thunder came from beneath the earth. As the duardin looked on in awe and horror, the ground burst open far below from where they stood assembled, and from the distance they could see an enormous, mile-wide spire of obsidian slowly emerge from the ground amid fire and smoke, winding itself towards the roiling sky above. Then, with a sudden and terrible crack, two gigantic chasms opened to its left and right, spilling streams of hot magma from below. The spectacle of volcanic eruption took the better half of a day, until finally the lava stopped flowing and the earth shook a third and final time. As it did, the earth in a large circle around the obsidian pillar began to collapse inward, crashing down into a large crater in a landslide of epic proportions that choked the fields around with a cloud of ash and dust.
The duardin in their camp cowered together behind rocks in fear for their lives, their eyes blinded by the dust. Only when it finally settled did they dare to return to their vantage point to overlook the devastation below.

An enormous, near-circular volcanic caldera had formed around the strange obsidian spire,its outer walls of rock and debris piling up some fifty feet tall. They named this circle Kolgrint Huzhrung, and within it, they finally found shelter from the raging storms and blasting winds that had haunted them throughout their perilous journey. As years passes on, they shaped this natural formation of barren rock and debris into impassably high walls, studded with spikes of iron and obsidian.
In time, they also began to dig into the stone of the spire itself, hollowing it out and making their home in its depths. The greatest of their surviving stonemasons used all their knowledge of the craft to turn the jagged formation of rock into an imposing tower, inside and out, carving out great halls held aloft by black pillars. Up they dug and carved just as well as downward, for it seemed that the pillar had no end, reaching further and further into the firey depths of the earth as if piercing right through the heart of the underground volcano itself. On top of the tower, however, they built a large statue of the Great Bull God, wrought from brass mixed with trace amounts of Amberbone, and within its hollow shell, a strange white-hot flame would flicker up and shine brightly and malevolently through its empty eyeholes and nostrils whenever they made an offering on the huge, ornamented altar beneath its hooves.

With each passing year, their tower-fortress grew, for in the lands surrounding Kolgrint Huzhrung they discovered a richness of mineral wealth even surpassing that of the Fallen Hold. But where they once had been inclined towards the lofty pursuit of artisanry, their minds were now twisted ever more towards vengeance and domination. Within their fortress, they erected great kilns and forges that spewed black smoke into the already-polluted air. To fuel this industry, duardin clad in heavy brass scale-mail, amber-hued iron cuirasses and high helmets fashioned to resemble the spire they hailed from mounted raid upon raid against their warmongering greenskin and ogor neighbours, capturing slaves to haul back to their fortress to break them by whip and chain and endless toil.

But it was only after the voice of the Great Bull God, in exchange for a hundred greenskin hearts ripped out and burned atop the black spire, began to teach Gurhan and his acolytes the secrets of soul-binding and daemon-smithing that their hold became known as Mingol Dumang, or Doomforge Tower in the tongue of lesser races. Soon, screaming daemonic entities were pulled from the realm of chaos and bound into great constructs of fell engineering, as enslaved to the will of the fallen duardin as any mortal forced to toil in their pits.

With the raging force of these mechanical abominations at their disposal, the clans of Dumang would begin spreading their influence and dark creed ever further, and the decades to come should be dark indeed…

16 Likes

Great backstory to ghurish cds
I particularly like the hats being in honour of the tower!

2 Likes