Kitbashcat's Evil Grumpy Shortbois

Thanks! I’ve edited the post to include his back side!

2 Likes

It looks even better from the front! Great work! :+1:

1 Like

He is great. I love the brutal strength and unarmoured chaos marauder vibe.

2 Likes

Thanks! I really wanted to depart a bit from the heavy armour look :smiley: - more to come!

1 Like

Spamming again, sorry!

While waiting for some greenstuff to dry, I thought I’d tackle the issue of Big Hats - namely, I think they’re rubbish, especially the flat top ones - alas, they’re a key part of the Chaos Dwarf look. I had a think and threw together some helmets for higher-ranking Dawi to wear instead:

They take three main sources of inspiration - the pointy hat that seems to be more prevalent in modern 3rd party and GW hats, medieval Russian pointed helmets, and on a whim, the central spire of St Basil’s Cathedral (I may have found a pre-existing free STL and the spire was a great base to work from!).

Once I get my hands on more resin and more models to fit them to, the plan is for the rank-and-file elites wearing the bottom row, while command models and characters can pick from the top row.

8 Likes

I really like hats 1 and 2.

Just coming to a smooth point smacks of elvishness to me

1 Like

@KitbashCat you aware of Turnip Max’s chaos dwarf concept art?

Similiar feel :slight_smile:

9 Likes

There are few Kol-Dawi who choose the way of a warrior. Life in the tower-cities is a constant struggle against the twin threats of their bleak homelands and their ancestral curse, laid upon them by jealous Ancestor Gods. Every waking day, every breath, is considered a hard-won victory, and few of the chaos duardin are willing to risk that in petty squabbles or power grabs. Even in times of war, when whole hosts march from the gates of the ziggurats, their ranks are mainly made of mercenaries and thrall-soldiers.

Those that do seek out the life of a warrior are called Variyags. They are mainly drawn from poorer duardin who have few other options, or else criminals condemned to a term of service. The Variyags take to the field enclosed in suits of thick black iron worn over corselets of close-fitting scales, each scale engraved with dark runes of protection. Before them they bear heavy slab shields that lock together to form a wall of iron, and they carry weighted chopping swords to hack apart foes who break upon the Variyag anvil.

Variyags are a common sight within the tower-cities, where they police the markets and forges on behalf of their masters, the Sorcerer-Prophets. When the mages go abroad on their esoteric quests for power and the secrets of rock and iron, they go borne in palanquins carried by Variyags, and surround themselves with these heavily armed warriors. Should their charge fall or succumb to the curse, it is common practice for their failed bodyguards to be hunted down and slain by other Variyag bands, or else entombed with their former master to redeem themselves in death. It is not uncommon in less reputable cities of Order to find lone duardin sellswords, their beard bound in locks and their flesh stony and scarred, unable to bear the retribution that awaits them within the cold stone walls of the ziggurats.

21 Likes

Beautiful designs, good historical references and brutal aesthetic. Set to a fitting paint scheme. What’s not to love?

3 Likes

Nice! That conversion turned out really great.

2 Likes

Cheers! :smiley: The photos haven’t come out quite as I want them, but I’m very happy with them in the flesh! :smiley:

3 Likes

Wow, they look amazing! :smiley:

3 Likes

Wow, very ingenious what you show us there. I like it very much

2 Likes

Wow! Love the background and looks of these! Superb job! :hatoff:

As I said on Instagram, they feel really authentic, they are realistic, so evil! Awesome work here!!

Love the aesthetic the fluff and the slab shields are awesome

1 Like

Need to save that pic for me DnD game as local dwarves in me setting are kind of Indo-Persian style with dark skins and black curly hair&beard with accent like one Abu has in Simpsons.

1 Like

Great writing too!

1 Like