Looking for caster

Hi guys

For an event at the end of September we are looking into giving
away/selling some sets of metal miniatures. The intention is to sculpt
these ourselves.

There must be some guys here who have experience with this! @Clam ?

From what quantity is this possible?
Does the set of miniatures have to consist of a certain number? For
example, do we need to fill a wheel consisting of X mini’s, or can we
supply 4-5?
Do you have a good contact for this?

Please let me know!

2 Likes

I’ve used Griffin Moulds in the UK before. Last time I ordered the options were £55 for a 9" mould or £80 for an 11" mould. So if you only want to cast one model, it will be £55 for the master mould, but it can fit more than that. Then there’s the cost of the metal and the extra cost of making a production mould if you intend on getting a lot of copies cast, or you can just have masters cast made for a handful.

3 Likes

If you only want one modell, they’ll cast resin copies of it to fill a spinn cast mould. You’ll pay for the moulds and then metal for X spinns.

Admiralty Miniatures used at least two different casters over the years, but Im sure @Admiral will fill you out with any knowledge you might need here… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do they have to be cast or reproduced?

I can scan and then print them if resin is acceptable. I know its not metal but its cheaper!

3 Likes

Chris from macrocosm is a sole trader tgat casts himself. You could ask him for a quote? I reckon he might be cheaper than larger companies

1 Like

As @tjub said. I’ve sent @bas_2312 a lengthy PM about the four different casting firms we make use of, plus mass production advice to maximize spincast moulds by filling them out with resin copies of the original sculpts.

But if this is limited in scope to this single event, then you may be fine with just chucking, say, 4-5 sculpts into a spincast mould without taking resin copies to fill out spincast mould space to the maximum.

You may want to consider selling cast models online after the event, just a tip.

And you’ll want to consider the good advice and tips from others around here, both as regard casting and printing. Best of luck!

Cheers

4 Likes