Looking for new army to play with sick friend

Hello friend!,

I’m looking to buy a starter army for around $300/400 US, my best friend from when I was in the army is pretty sick and he’s gotten me really into the idea of playing older fantasy with him while he’s I going through a really hard recovery . Chaos Dwarfs are my favorite faction in fantasy but we can’t seem to find anyone in our area willing to part ways with their little hat wearing warriors for us to paint and play the game we both grew up on. I’d like to build something with him so I can have a good memory with a friend. I know it’s a lot to ask and it’s a heavy topic during the holidays but I was told to ask you guys for help or a direction to look.

I’d like to get a balanced army together because he is an elf and regular dwarf guy with a lot of experience who wants to kick my a** pretty bad.

Thank you to anyone who reads this.
I live in the US and would appreciate any help.

Thank you so much and have a great day today!

4 Likes

Hey man,

Thats a tough situation to be in, sorry to hear about your friends misfortune.

There are several options available to you.

1. 3rd party models, have a look here (old link) or here or here or here
  2. 3rd party STL files (3d prints) if you have a printer available. Look here and more generally here. I can recomend the sculpts @Fabelzel (his patreon) (his thingiverse) and @Brawniac (His patreon) have made if you want oldskool, or Lost Kingdoms magmhorim range if you want more modern renditions
  3. Look for licences sellers of printed STLs on for example Etsy. I know LKM files are for sale there, but you can also ask around on this forum for people willing to print for you.
  4. Look around for not so original copies of the old models, but i can’t help you with that (for legal reasons)
  5. Make a post on our marketplace or ask around on our Discord if anyone is selling for normal prices.

I hope you can find something that works for you. if you need more help you’re always free to join our Discord server and chat with us real time

7 Likes

The cheapest boxed army deals (if you don’t print) are probably Mantic or Maxmini!

2 Likes

Have you thought about ‘mini-hammer’?

This is Warhammer using 10-12mm figures. There are replica mini-hammer lines you can pick up dirt cheap and are in the old 4th ed style.

5 Likes

That’s a pretty smart idea I think! The game plays on a much smaller board too, obviously, and everyone can sit comfortably at a regular table instead of doing mostly standing for hours. And/or smaller models means you could have a larger game. And, and that’s a big one, you can paint two armies plus terrain and everything in like a week, elevating the whole experience.

5 Likes

You can also get this complete new Chaos Dwarf army for 80€ on sale (usually 100€). Norba isn’t known for outstanding quality, but if you want to play 28mm you won’t find anything at a better price.

2 Likes

I think these are pretty cool looking but he’s looking for bighats.

2 Likes