“Ogres are not like cake” - an ogre kingdoms blog

Welcome to “Not like cake”, a blog for my ogre kingdoms army. This is an army that I’ve had the idea of doing for a long time and finally bit the bullet and started it recently.

I’ve always liked the mantic ogre range. It’s a bit of a “marmite” among wargaming fans but I’ve always appreciated it both in terms of aesthetic and value.

Now, I always felt that their ogres were less humanoid and more orcoid, so I had the idea of painting them as massive greenskins.

Two main influences of the greenskin aesthetic I’m aiming for:

Warcraft 3 orcs

And AoS Kruel Boyz

I wanted the bulky, one man army, well armed look of the Warcraft orcs but the design cues and colour scheme of the kruelboyz.

Here is what I have created so far:

6 Likes

Battle standard bearer

9 Likes

First unit of ogre bulls

17 Likes

Excellent execution of the idea! Lovely styles put to good use.

3 Likes

Looking great, but Im still amazed how you find the time… :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve always loved the Mantic ogres, and completely hated the GW ogres.
I can’t really explain why, not sure if I know why myself either, something about the aesthetics perhaps. But cool to see the Mantic ogres in a blog…and as @tjub has said, I’m completely baffled at how you manage so many projects, and ALL to such great standards.
Whatever dark pact you made with Hashut, it pays off.

3 Likes

Thanks @tjub and @Fuggit_Khan

I have indeed made a dark pact with the chaos gods. It allows me to paint many armies but all must have chequerboards and or eyeball motifs within them somewhere

5 Likes

Had an idea there. What about a freddy flintstone car with an ogre inside it. Couple of goblins on top with a catapult or gun?

Could be scrap launcher proxy

3 Likes

Haha that could be awesome. I’ve got some ideas for monsters, sabertusks, artillery etc

Hopefully share some of it soon

1 Like

Somewhere in this army you need a donkey as troop filler. Pack mule style. Would work as artillery crew.

2 Likes

Made a deal with hashut

2 Likes

Oh haha

3 Likes

One man eater added (avatars of war)

9 Likes