Opinion, old or new shields?

I’m wondering what the group consensus is. My army will consist of a combined force of old school gw big hats, and russian alt minis. Here’s the question:

For my old school warriors, should I keep it old school with round flat shields, or give them some modern plastic being?

5 Likes

Both looks good IMO, sorry for not helping out here… :stuck_out_tongue:
But if I had to choose I think Id go for the modern shields.

2 Likes

Thanks! The third option is to just have em mixed. That would be so…chaotic

1 Like

They look great, admirable painting! I think I like these minis better with the old shields, but mixing would certainly look cool. A feeling of uniformity can be achieved by the paintjob, and a bit of variety in the design will probably make for a more interesting overall impression. Not much help for the decision, I know - sorry for that :smile:

2 Likes

I would choose the old school ones. I think nostalgia affects my aesthetic taste in this case: they have those shields in my visual memory.

2 Likes

Both look great and no help from me at all either on your conundrum.
Go with what you think is best.
I made coffin shape shields for my 3rd Ed as I thought the old mix wasn’t right for a unit and that isn’t canon.

1 Like

For army cohesion I’d say mix in some of the modern because you mentioned having some Russian Alt.

1 Like

Personally, I prefer the newer shields, I never liked those old, flat ones.

I’ve used modern marauder shields on mine for the most part- however older shields are mixed in - but that is mostly due to not owning enough old ones.

I like the variation in the moderns - helps breaks up an otherwise monopose unit

Here’s what mine look like with a mix

8 Likes

Look damn good too!

3 Likes

Another vote for a mix of shield types, linked by the paint scheme. Cheers!

3 Likes

At first I was in favour of the old shields. Now that I see the new shields with the corresponding color scheme, I have to revise my opinion and I am for them!

2 Likes

Chaos dwarves- defined as dwarves in complete chaos and confusion. Id mix the hell out of everything :grin:

2 Likes

I like both of them myself, and a mix works for what you’re doing. My force uses Roman Scutum shields, but then my army uses the Roman Tenth Legion as the style basis for its shields and banners. What I have been doing of late is using the old flat shields on my non-evil stunties, and creating their shield icons on my computer using a combo of Microsoft Office and the Windows Paint programmes and whatever art I can swipe from online to produce my own unique heraldric symbology. In the grimdark of the COVID era there is time to experiment.

1 Like

I would use the newer shields if you have no other oldschool models with old shields. They look much more detailed and when painted they are beautiful.

If you do have units with older shields I’d either keep in line with the theme and give them all old shields, or sparingly mix in a few newer ones.

So my vote is new shields, unless there’s a specific reason for choosing the old ones.

I always like how these kind of questions rarely have a proper winner. Often its just about equally divided between the options :sweat_smile:

1 Like

i roll with those marauder shields too! (even because i dont have the classic one nor the decals)
:chaos2:

1 Like

I agree with @tjub . Hard choice since both look great, but modern shields would still be my pick.

I like both but may I also throw a spanner in the forge and say I would use those two and add in these as well by Fabelzel on Thingiverse: Fantasy Oldschool shields set 1 by Fabelzel - Thingiverse
I love mixing things up :smiley:

2 Likes