[TOW] Questions around the Steam Carriage movement and Mystical Pathway/Infernal Gateway

Hi again,

I am not sure how to use the Steam Carriage rule. First our war machines have M - , the Crew (CD) has M 3 and the Iron Daemons have M 5. Carriage Hauler is the rule of the Iron Daemons that states that up to two Steam Carriage war machines in the back arc of an Iron daemon and within 8 inch of it can be moved when the Iron daemon moves. Their movement also must finishes in the Daemon’s back arc and within 8 inch around it.

So how is this special movement handled:

• The war machines use the crew’s movement (which means they are slower than the daemon (M3 vs M5))
  • Or their movement is substituted with the Daemon’s movement value which is 5 inch or 5 + D6 inch if the Iron Daemon uses its Lumbering Destruction rule
  • Or are the war machines just moved from one point in the Iron Daemons back arc to another point in the back arc that is now within 8 inch of the Daemons new position regardless of the Daemon’s movement value and the movement value of the crew.

Nevertheless of the possible answer I have a second thing that troubles me. The “Travel Mystical Pathway” conveyance spell of the Elementalism lore enables a unit that is not fleeing and that has not moved yet in the movement phase or is engaged in combat to be removed and placed within 12 inch of it previous position but not within 6 inch of any enemy.

Is this replacement a movement. I can’t find anything the declares that a remove and a replace action is a special kind of movement. The Dark Magic’s “Infernal Gateway” spell has this remove and replace action too but without the pathways’ addition that the unit cannot move again in the movement phase.

This could be important for the Hailshot Blunderbuss and of the Steam Carriage/Carriage Hauler rule. For the first it could mean that the CDs are teleported and still can use the Volley rule if “Travel Mystical Pathway” is no movement and for the trains it could dependent on the outcome of the question above mean, that if it is a movement, the train plus the war machines could be teleported :smiley: which would be tremendously funny.

1 Like

Phew, another complex mess to deconstruct :sweat_smile:

In general, war machines move with their crew’s movement value, I think that part is pretty clear. But you’re absolutely right, with the Iron Daemon it gets a little … interesting.

There is an argument to be made that this is RAW. Rule only says “war machines with the ‘Steam Carriage’ upgrade […] can be moved when this model moves.” Doesn’t say anything about “using the Iron Daemons movement” or so. If we go for RAI, I would say this is NOT how to do it though. I mean the whole thing is already pretty abstract, right? How is towing supposed to work at an 8" distance? Doesn’t make any sense. But if we think about towing, then all carriages obviously move as far/fast as the engine pulling them, right?

I would say this can still be deducted from RAW and definitely fits with RAI. With the first version, it would be possible that a war machine starts it movement with 8" but cannot end it’s movement in 8". One could say “well, in that case you cannot make that move!”, but it really wouldn’t make much sense to me. It would also fit best to the whole part explaining what happens when an Iron Daemon charges or uses Lumbering Destruction.

I think this one is def out of the question. I don’t see real support from RAW and definitely not from RAI.

I would go for the second option! But def something which should be discussed with the opponent.

I would say: yes, using Travel Mystical Pathway is a form of movement. I think that’s supported by “The target friendly unit cannot move again during this Movement phase.” I would therefore say Blunderbusses cannot use Volley Fire after being teleported, but an Iron Daemon artillery train can be replaced as a whole. Agreed, it is funny! :slight_smile:

I will add both questions to the FAQ/Errata thread

I think that the movement rules in TOW are a mess! I like to handle it RAW so the war machines will move with M3 and if the Iron Daemon moves too far away so that the war machines cannot be placed within 8 inch they cannot profit from the possibility to move when the Iron Daemon moves. Even if they can be moved they have to follow each rule for normal movements. This way the rule is not that great but it is RAW.

What is also funny is that given the Daemon makes a charge move this move will happen in the charge sub phase and the Carriage Hauler rule says the war machines move when the Daemon moves. So this would be totally out of order which raises the question if a war machine could be dragged out of combat?Guessing and over interpreted…

For the conveyance spells I think those are no movements but they will enhance or restrict a units movement. So “Travel Mystical Pathway” teleports a unit (without performing a movement) but does not allow a unit to move in the remaining movement sub phase. Again guessing and interpreted

The Carriage Hauler should be a variation of the “Dragged Along” special rule replacing the 1 inch with the rear arc and 8 inch, the 10 strong unit with the Daemon, further restrict the movement to be finished in the rear arc and within 8 inch. Increase the movement equally to the D6 if Lumbering Destruction was used and handle the shooting exception.

1 Like

Definitely playing it safe and as I said, there’s an argument to be made that this is how it’s supposed to be played. Still, I would discuss with the opponent before. I don’t think moving war machines at the Iron Daemon’s movement value is in any way game breaking, so should be fine. If in doubt, going back to M3 is always an option.

I’d say no. If at M3 or M5, the war machine still makes a move. So if it cannot move for any reason, e.g. because it is engaged in close combat, it also cannot move when the Iron Daemon moves. But I’ll add it to the FAQ :wink:

That would have massive consequences not only for Volley Fire or Ponderous weapons but for all Move or Shoot weapons, so all war machines, which would all be eligible to shoot after being transportet. I cannot see how this is RAI. But that means this is guaranteed to be addressed in a future FAQ.

Interesting. Yes it would have been prudent to make Carriage Hauler a version of Dragged Along.