What would you buy to start a Chaos Dwarfs army now?

I have very few Chaos Dwarfs, but I’ve been wanting to start it as an army for a long time and now that I have hit around 600 regular dwarf models I want to start collecting the other armies I’ve always wanted to.

I love Ral Partha’s Chaos dwarf models, which are pretty well priced. Much of the wishlist I’ve made as my profile bio on bugman’s brewery is made up of those models.

But buying such models feels like a good way to collect characters and not so good for forming units for an army. Of course the world is full of Chaos Dwarf models, Abyssal Dwarf models and Infernal Dwarf models, but which would the old beards here recommend the highest? Which models are good value or your personal favourite aesthetic and that you would prioritise for starting an army nowadays?

2 Likes

For helms
Macrocosm- great priced metal models, great juggernaut
Old school miniatures- great sculpts but dearer
Cp models- chaos dwarf mutants
Titan wargames helm mask variety
Knightmare games -v dear but v nice small selection
The assault group- imperial plate dwarves but some make great cds
Yes ralpartha are great :+1: totally agree. They also have a really nice chaos dwarf beast master too thats hard to find.

Admirality miniatures also do 4 nice blunder busses.
Essex miniatures do cheap metal chaos dwarves

For printing:
Warploque- have great centaurs and troops
Lost kingdom? I think they have tonne of stuff but its a different asthetic

2 Likes

Thank you for the thorough response!

Macrocosm- great priced metal models, great juggernaut

I already bought the ‘Dark Dwarf Engineer’ a while ago when I was getting the slayers for my normal dwarfs army, I had almost ruled macrocosm out for being too expensive because I hadn’t noticed their packs of 5 models for £10 before, they’re pretty fantastic. You’re right about the juggernaut too, that’s definitely going on my wishlist.

Old school miniatures- great sculpts but dearer

I had seen these on Ebay but not known where they were from, thank you!

Cp models- chaos dwarf mutants

Already got 'em hehe

Titan wargames helm mask variety

I must have last seen these a long time ago because I have them bookmarked but had also forgotten them, these are probably my favourite so far.

Knightmare games -v dear but v nice small selection

Absolutely agree, I’ll put these on the “Wait for a really good sale” list I reckon.

Yes ralpartha are great :+1: totally agree. They also have a really nice chaos dwarf beast master too thats hard to find.

I can’t even find the mini you mean on Stunties nor google images, do you know of an old catalogue it’s in?

Unfortunately I’m not quite yet happy with where 3d printing is at, I really can’t stand print lines. I understand I’m probably not fully knowledgeable but from what I can tell without owning a printer they all still make subtle print lines.

1 Like

This is a good place to start:
https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/28mm-chaos-dwarf-appropriate-fantasy-miniatures/551

I like the Lost Kingdom models, they fit my aesthetic more. But there are a lot of other great ones like Dancing Yak (more cartoony version of 4th edition style) that also have a full range of models.

For a full army, I would probably buy a resin printer and find a set of models I like:

Fabezel has a good set that are similar in style to the 4th ed models (make sure you keep clear of the guy who copied his stuff and resells it)

3 Likes

This one. This is actually my second one haha

2 Likes

I found a link to its retail page in your blog topic here. Your chorf army is absolutely fantastic, an opinion of mine which I’m sure you’ve been able to gleen from the like spam notifications you must be getting from me.

This beast handler is definitely going into my next Ral Partha purchase.

1 Like

Cheers man, much appreciated.
There was one other extremely good set of chaos dwarves i forgot to tell you about: nominus malus. Sjoerdo a member here sculpted them. They are some of the best around. There is actually a blog on them on here somewhere.

Already messaged him asking how I can buy them hahaha. Does he have a store at all or is messaging him the only way to get them?

If you google nominus malus i think he has a website
Evil little buggers

Yep, here’s the link for others reading in the future.

1 Like