28mm early imperial Romans

Just another 75 and you’ll have your first century.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Basically yeah @Lord_of_Uzkulak haha :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Multiply that by six and you’ll have your first Legion. :wink:

1 Like

I think I’ll aim for a century first :joy:

Amazing free hand on the shields, i get the impression you paint super fast, to be so skillful at it is a real art.
I have ruinned too many brushes not painting fast enough and it starting to dry further up the brush, im feeling painting fast is best, fix later if you have to…

Watching the series barbarians at the moment, if you havent seen it yet its about romans fecking over germanian barbarians. Really good show.

1 Like

Yessss @Zoddtheimmortal I’ve been watching barbarians- it’s so good!

The auxilla shields are freehand the legionaries ones were sculpted so that makes painting them much easier.

I am quite a quick painter to be honest. I think I’ve found a balance between quantity and quality that I’m happy with. I could definitely produce less models and have them look better or I could produce more models and have them look worse haha. I’m happy with this balance.

I’m keeping count this year of models painted. It’s been 46 models since January 1st :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol.

You should batch painting the Legionaries in groups of 8 rather than 5; apparently centuries were subdivided into ‘squads’ of 8.

Hmm…8…Romans’ favourite god was Mars…favourite colour was red…Shit! Romans were secret Khorne worshipers! :shock:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

2 a day every day eh…nice. im at nearly 1 a day . If i start playing online blood bowl again or actually help wife with home schooling itd be 1 a week or less :smiley:
Work also gets in the way of hobbie time, but it also saves me from home schooling so i guess i love it!!

1 Like

I relapsed again people

Reinforcements are arriving from Rome…

11 Likes

This month’s Wargames Illustrated comes with a free sprue of Romans from Warlord. You get 4 of them with shield and pilum. Might be worth checking out.

4 Likes

[Random Roman Emperor watching from the afterlife with Palpatine voice] Good, good…

2 Likes

@Antenor hahahaha

@Freakshow668 unfortunately those warlord ones are a little on the small size - more like 25 than 28mm

It’s a shame cos the the plastics have lots of customisation opportunities and bits

No worries, just thought I’d mention it. I picked them up because there are a load of heads on it and they’re stunning, thought they’d look cool on IG for 40K.

2 Likes

100 hundred percent would work

1 Like

I assume these guys with the square shields are more elite than the oval shield ones? Or just a different time period?

1 Like

All the same time period. Roughly 1st and 2nd century. In this army I’m doing the oval shields and chainmail are auxilla. So non Romans fighting in the army as a light infantry.

See photo left for legionary and right that for auxilia

The dudes in segmented armour are legionaries so full Roman citizens. They will be the heavy infantry.

Now historically the actual differences between how well equipped and trained the auxilia and legions were depended on time period, location, and specific army. A lot of folk exaggerate how organised the legion looked compared to the auxilla (matching tunics and exact same equipment and stuff) and in reality they would look more like each other than they probably do in modern depictions. But I’m keeping things simple for wargaming reasons.

If my opponent sees bronze coloured helmets and oval shields they will know it’s light infantry if they see silver coloured helmets and rectangle shields they will know heavy infantry. Makes it all easier to read at a glance .

8 Likes

F*** me these models are cool…

2 Likes

@Admiral you might get a kick out of this as it’s a bit of an odd historical curiosity.

Discussing with some mates about how Romans should play in our fantasy battles. We need them to still feel like Romans but also be able to handle some of the bigger fantastical creatures they may come up against.

Well @Iceman reminded me about something I’d completely forgotten! The lost Roman art of setting pigs on fire to scare enemy elephants!

Well I obviously couldn’t not react to such a ridiculously brilliant idea!

So if my enemy brings a giant or something- I’ll just have to release the baking bacon brigade!

13 Likes

A classical counter, in the literal sense of the word. :smiley:

This makes me so happy! That Roman ploy. Long live the war pig! They look glorious and I love the impression they create.

If you’re looking to add some more fantastical stuff to your army for fantasy duty, then I’d be really curious to see what you’d come up with. I thought it over briefly once when proposing Byzantine humans (as a Gondor tribute) on T9A before learning that their Skaven would be medieval Roman, and on a quick think-through I only came up with animated statues as something more fantastical apart from the usual suspects like wizards and warrior priests. There should be lots of possibilities to crank up fantasy Romans to as fantastical levels as fantasy Cathay with its warrior monks, stone dogs, dragons and the like without stealing many of the mythological monsters from more fitting armies.

But very grounded humans with baking bacon to fight off giants and gryphons is cool in and of itself!

Roma Aeterna! Roma Invicta!

2 Likes