28mm early imperial Romans

I take full responsibility for this porcine adventure.

4 Likes

Nice! Great sculpting work on the fire. :hatoff:

@Oxymandias and @Admiral If we’re talking about bringing Romans and Fantasy together, I can recommend taking a look at the Dominions strategy game series. In this world, they have the Roman-inspired faction Ermor and its successor states over the span of three ages. Simplified a lot, it’s a Roman-style empire beginning to dabble in necromancy and in the event splitting up over it, with e.g. one part devolving into a full-blown undead wasteland (undead Romans!), and another trying to keep control over the dead, fielding mixed armies of republic-style legions and undead warriors. (One charming thing about this game is that there’s no coherent account of the lore anywhere - it mostly has to be pieced together from unit descriptions.) I’ve often thought that there’s a lot of tabletop potential in there. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Id be watching that great Rome series and have Titus Pollo and Lucius voerenus as powerful characters in the army. Gladiators , wagons with gold, thugs etc

2 Likes

All very cool ideas! Thanks gents :slight_smile: (and yeah hbo’s Rome was boss. Shame that last season had to rush through so much history. That could have gone on for years. I’m well overdue a rewatch )

4 Likes

Well done! Not that @Oxymandias needs much spurring on…

1 Like

Bit of a speed paint! I may go back and add detail to faces yet but these auxilla are ready to die for the empire all the same

7 Likes

Batch painting … but as always not really doing it in sensible numbers haha

7 Likes

@Admiral - another historical curiosity I’m sure you know well and appreciate.

Something I’m building into the warlords of erewhon rules I’m writing for these guys.

4 Likes

…also, if the chickens won’t eat, your General must do a Command test. If he fails, he loses his temper and hurls the chickens into the nearest body of water. You automatically lose the battle, because the gods won’t put up with that kind of behaviour. :tongue:

2 Likes

Couldnt a bad chicken result be counter balanced by doves being released from the box and flying the right direction?

2 Likes

Haha… instead of actual battle… play a game of superstition and counter superstition?

2 Likes

If they will not eat! Let them drink!

3 Likes

Batch painting shields tonight!

(I can see why most people just do water slide transfers with these! It’s not a quick job! Haha)

6 Likes

Been mesh mixing to
Add to the Roman files I’ve got.

First of all I’ve been obsessing with Roman cavalry masks

So Decided to make some for my army

Also ive very much decided that this army is the flavians in Judea. I already had a lovely model of young Titus

But I was lacking the elder Vespasian to lead the army.

Well I had a Julias caeser and a scipio Africanus and apparently mashing them together makes something approaching a Vespasian!

6 Likes

…and in march the equites. Have you managed to find any tiny, dismount by just standing up roman horses?

I always think the horses on roman cavalry models are way too big.

2 Likes

Definitely! They should use ponies by today’s standards. The ones I’m printing should be small enough.

2 Likes

Cavalry masks printed!

7 Likes

Amazing job on the batch painting, they came out great

Really like those masks too

1 Like

40 legionaries down. Half way towards a full century!

9 Likes

Aaaand scorpion done too!

10 Likes