Antenor's Evil Dwarves [2024-01-31]

Oh no!!! Heartbreaking…go drink some beer or something…

3 Likes

Time to get out my straws! :16:

4 Likes

The sculpt came out really fine! Nice idea with the arrow and especially the embroidered rune of Hashut: That’s a first!

Sad to hear about the painting misadventures. Yes, small holes can easily clog up. I still add them on my sculpts, but I can’t know beforehand if they will show through once painted. Maybe making slightly bigger holes will work better and allow the holes to stay visible once the paint builds up?

Best of luck! You can resculpt the finger and do something great when painting the sculpt, I am sure of it. Next CD will look even better, I am sure. :01:

Take a break and come back later. No use ramming one’s head into a wall of frustrations.

3 Likes

The curse of 2020… :frowning:
But with sculpting the journey is well worth it, just get back on the horse again and start the next project! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have to agree with whatever everyone else has said; it’s a tragedy, but you can’t beat yourself up about it. You sculpted something awesome which means you have the basic talent to do it again and now you can start sharpening that talent with practice.
Take a break, until the frustration doesn’t bubble up whenever you pick up the model and do something else. It might take an hour, a day or a week but it’ll fade and then you’ll be able to come back to it fresh and proud of how much you’ve managed.

1 Like

Noooo :tired_face:

Agreed - you deserve a beer…or six

You have the skills mate. Maybe when frustration dies down get the putty out again. Have really enjoyed watching this progress

1 Like

Thank you all for your encouragement! Yep, I’ll just leave him be for a while and do something else. It’s no use crying over spilt milk anyway.

As for the next sculpting project, planning and rough drafting has already started, and I plan to get it going in the new year. In the meantime, I’ll try and make a bit of progress on some of my other unfinished hobby business. :01: Cheers!

2 Likes

I am the monarch of the sea,
The ruler of Hashut’s navee,
Whose praise Zharr-Naggrund loudly chants…

… but unfortunately, I don’t have any models to represent his sisters, cousins, and aunts. :23:

This beautiful sculpt by @Fuggit_Khan has been sitting on my pile of shame for too long. I’ve been thinking about doing a navy-fashion conversion with it for a long time and finally got going with it in the relaxed atmosphere of the last few days. It was a lot of fun working with this gorgeous model, and I do hope that converting it from a pirate to a 19th-century-style naval officer won’t count as heresy before the infernal court of Hashut. In my defence: I’ve been reading a lot of Patrick O’Brian lately. :01:

On a side note, I got me a lightbox (a small one from Greenstuffworld) and have used it to take the pics of this model. The results are not perfect as I’m still trying to get the hang of it - any hints on this topic would be most welcome.

Thanks for taking a look!

13 Likes

Nice one! I actually thought of the childrens book character: Pugwash straight away

4 Likes

Showing your age there Zodd…

1 Like

Pugwash is a follower of Slaanesh, not Hashut surely, given the fan names for his crew?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Nice conversion of the CD Pirate Admiral!
And clever use of his hat and saber, always nice to see how people change up miniatures to fit that special niche :slight_smile:

Well done!

4 Likes

Always thought the old big hats design lent itself to pirates, great job @Antenor

3 Likes

Long time no post, so here’s what I’ve been up to so far this year!

I’ve often thought that the general style and feel of 5th edition CDs might work nicely in conjunction with Napoleonic aesthetics, and I’ve already done some experimenting in that direction with my Marine and my converted Naval Officer. After all, looking at the uniforms of the era, one might get the feeling that it was all a competition of “Who’s got the fanciest big hat?”, with soldiers going into battle wearing shakos, czapkas, bearskins, and all sorts of unlikely military headgear, and not infrequently with skulls on them, too! Flipping through a Flintloque rulebook provided the final straw to send me over this particular precipice (a little bit about that system in this thread), so I decided to try and make some Napoleonic-inspired evil stunties of my own. Here’s the first one!

At the start, I wanted this miniature to be a standard blunderbuss-armed infantryman (a “Trombloneer” would have been my name for it :smile:). But the frame of his body came out a bit too massive for what I would consider a standard dwarf, so I changed plans and turned him into a special trooper wielding a hand mortar, which I wanted to do at some point anyway. Thus, his stature also conforms to the historical practice of picking particularly tall and strong men for service as grenadiers, who were of course the main inspiration for this guy.

The costume is not fashioned after any single historical uniform, but rather a mix-and-match of elements from different sources. The plate pauldron is meant serve as an aesthetic link to medieval fantasy, and also provides an open space for creative use, much like a blank shield.

Any thoughts and feedback would be most welcome!

Cheers

9 Likes

one small piece of constructive criticism:

owing to your use of goggles and a potentially naval aesthetic, this miniature is so cool that it may cause @Reaver to pass out when he sees it

How is it proportioned, physically? I know Flintloque is on the smaller side for Dwarfs.

It’s one of the coolest new minis posted in ages!

4 Likes

going to echo any and all cries to make this and future sculpts like it available for purchase! awesome work, the face especially! Looking forward to more.

2 Likes

bull pistol is best part

3 Likes

Your sculpting seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds with each new model. Great job. Very original as always.

3 Likes

Yeah tell us where to buy him please haha

That’s my feed back ^

Great work @Antenor

1 Like

Thank you all very much for your kind responses! :blush:

Concerning availability, let me first of all say that I feel very flattered that some of you guys would be interested in having this little fellow in your collections. Thanks a lot, mates, it makes me really happy. I am in fact planning to get him turned into metal, and if everything goes alright he should be available at some not too distant point. :hatoff:

Of course, I forgot to add a scale comparison. Here he is once more next to some other minis (left: converted GW Thunderer/GW Hammerer, right: converted Mantic Ironclad). His integrated base is not ideal for size comparison, but I think one can get an idea of the proportions:

Glad you like it! I was very unsure whether I had hit the right spot between “stylised” and “recognisable as a bull”. I very nearly scrapped it before finally deciding that it didn’t look all that bad :smile:

7 Likes