[Archive] Blazing Body Ruling

khedyarl:

I’m trying hard to remember, but failing. I can’t think of any toughness seven monsters in 6th, or 7th edition. 5th had Emperor dragons, but characters could also buzzsaw their way through entire armies.

Warmachines were toughness seven, but at least you could randomize and hit the crew.

Steve D:

I agree. It is hard but makes it no more hard to deal with than a Steam tank etc and something can kill it straight up or at least hold it up for a long time - for a 5pts 2+ flaming ward magic item that is available to every race. As it is 325pts, you can hold it up with a basic hero with a 5pt magic item and it can get shot by cannons etc.

Like a lot of things that are so many points, if you can deal with it, it is almost free points. if you can’t then it will hump you. But that is no different from a steam tank or Abomination.

It can still get mindrazored off the board…and I dont see why poison wouldn’t work, even if it is s3 because they AUTO WOUND so skips the to wound roll (which is where blazingbody comes into effect).

Baggronor:

When Vampires get a high Strength, high Toughness monster that does automatic Strength 4 hits to anything it touches, can only be outrun by a Unicorn and is Ethereal, we'll talk.
Let's not tempt fate Thommy :)

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how it goes down at the Winter Incursion. I know of 3 CD players that are going, including me. I'm expecting much eyebrow-raising and a swift Maelstrom comp...

Steve D:

I’m not - might expect a comp at the next event but it would be harsh to comp it half way through an event…

zhatan87:

Maybe we should make an antitactica only for the destroyer.
I don’t think that the destroyer is balanced, it’s a huge monster, but many of you haven’t played it or played against it…

I must admit that many armies will struggle to fight against it, but in fact, it’s “pretty” easy to "deal’ with if you have a balanced list, but very difficult to kill it… (even if it dies often before the end of the game).

Khedyarl told you about the frenzy, which is the major downside of the destroyer. Many armies have, either warmachines, or flying units (or fastly units) that can redirect it. Sure it doesn’t kill him, but it can put him two turns off.
The other downside is that it doesn’t fly, which makes him easier to redirect.
Poison attacks still wound it (skinks, witches elves, etc…).
Magic still wounds it (on 6+ though, but still.)
No magic attack, so VC can stop it with etheral characters easily.
And Lord (not hero, I make many statistics and with only 2 wounds, you very quickly die…) with dragon gem or dragon helm can stop it.
Plus, very often, it’s useless in scenarios.
Finally, it cost 325 pts, so that you can’t play two in 2500 pts games.

But don’t make me tell what I’ve not said:) It’s a huge monster! Strong.
And do not say that it can loose close combat : I’ve never seen any destroyer losing close combat… Sorry…:slight_smile:

Zhorn:

And do not say that it can loose close combat : I've never see any destroyer losing close combat... Sorry...

zhatan87
I have. Once you deal with something NOT 20 or 25 mm rabble infantry it can loose combat just like every other unit in the game (ogre horde, cavalry bus, heck, even normal infantry if you fluff your stomp attack).

But yes, M9 means the CD player is able to choose the fights and the destroyer will face off against "manageable" foes.

Galladorn:

You’ll win as long as you don’t pull a “Galladorn” and charge Dragon Princes.

jebilo:

dragon prince are virtually immuned against it :smiley:

for wood elfes, it s not much différent than etheral units ^^

Hashut’s Blessing:

Something to add - Bubebolos and Toad Dragons are immune to hits that are lower than S4. Full stop.

That’s tougher to beat than the Blazing Body rule. Wood Elves have magical attacks on Dryads, at S4.

Ogre_Mage:

even normal infantry if you fluff your stomp attack

Zhorn
I've actually started changing my facing after the first round of combat with it, so the enemy has my flank if it's a horde. Gives them a +1 combat resolution, but I get to burn the whole front rank... Even rolling a 1 on the stomp (did 2 times tonight) you'll kill 15+ 20/25mm models.

Monsterous hordes are a different story, never let them get the charge on it, and always go for their flanks/rears.

khedyarl:

A lot of people seem to be under the impression that frenzy makes the Kdaii easy to redirect around the table. Are you remembering that under this edition, you can restrain the charge with a leadership check? Or are you just hurling units into combat with it to try to force it to overrun?

I don’t see how anyone could redirect the Kdaii in a direction it doesn’t want to be - in order to flank it, you need to out-maneuver a model that can march eighteen inches, pivoting wherever it wants. I guess I just don’t see what minis are able to reliably hit it in a flank to force it off track. Maybe Dire Wolves marching straight up table and then getting off an undispelled Vanhels?

And Hashut’s Blessing: Bubelos is taken in one of two ways: as a {minimum} 645 point lord choice (can’t be taken in 2500 points or under), or in Storm of Magic games. In addition, just for fun, the Kdaii is immune to S4, where Bubelos can at least be Crossbow’d/Handgun’d/dozens of other S4 units, isn’t immune to an entire lore of magic, and doesn’t have a ward save. Bubelos and Tamurkhan are pretty incredible, but cannons/Stone Throwers/any high strength multiple wound artillery are going to pound them hard - I would gladly trade being wounded on 3s instead of 4s for the Destroyers 4+ ward save. For almost half the points. Remember, soon as Tamurkhan dies {even if he comes back} it’s a leadership 7 monstrous reaction roll.

I’d gladly take two destroyers for one Tamurkhan.

Baggronor:

I'd gladly take two destroyers for one Tamurkhan.
One really simple comparison that my mate made last week says it all:

Bloodthirster vs Destroyer. Destroyer is sooooo much better, for a whole raft of reasons, even before he becomes immune to >S5.
guess I just don't see what minis are able to reliably hit it in a flank to force it off track.  Maybe Dire Wolves marching straight up table and then getting off an undispelled Vanhels?
Dire Wolves charging it will do nothing, they'll die and crumble; there is nothing to pursue and the Destroyer can only overrun if it charged. A Dire Wolf charge just gives it an opportunity to combat reform. Bad idea.

The way to do it is to have lots of units of 5 Giant Rats/Goblin Wolf Riders/lone Sabretusks etc and march them up to him at funny angles. As the Destroyer's base is so large, he is very easy to block off. Because he can't fly, he can't charge over them, and the redirectors can probably move fast enough to re-block him next turn if he doesn't charge and tries to re-position. You're buying time with expendable troops and pretty much committing to not fighting it (a wise choice for many armies). The big risks are that the chaff fail the Terror tests or the other chaff units are placed too close to the first and panic. The best options for the CD player are to remove the chaff with fireballs, etc asap, and/or send in the lone Khans to 'counter-chaff' them.

VCs are probably the only army that isn't in the least bit fazed about the Destroyer (their usual reaction to most things in Warhammer I find ;)). He doesn't have magical attacks, so ethereals can deal with him, Banshees and Terrorogheists can scream him to death, Ghouls can poison him, GG will kill him (magical str 6 with +1 to hit) and Helm of Commandment helps anywhere it is needed. Not to mention they always have raised zombies to redirect.

khedyarl:

You’re right about the overrun, completely slipped my mind.

Hashut’s Blessing:

khedyarl - true, but the SoM one is 350pts, not many more. It also has a 2D6 Thunderstomp, can’t be wounded on better than a 3+ and ignore Multiple Wounds, can’t be insta-killed, doesn’t potentially hurt itself, has more wounds and has a 3+ armour save (not too bad, but the least of it’s bonuses, lol). It’s not to be sniffed at. It’s not so much a case of which is better anyway, as me making a comparison that S3 or less can’t hurt it and most armies have magic/magical attacks to hurt the K’daai with. Essentially, there is a president for it being immune to attacks was what I was commenting on :wink:

ChungEssence:

"And do not say that it can loose close combat : I’ve never see any destroyer losing close combat… Sorry…"

It died to losing combat against my Dwarf Lord/Hammerer retinue. 1 round of combat (rolled 1 for thunderstomp thankfully)

I’d take a Thirster over it. I mean the Thirster can fly and more importantly can be customised. If the Destroyer could take an item which meant Magic weapons lost their powers it’d be practically invincible.

I agree it’s really powerful though. I’d cry ‘broken’ if it didn’t have the toughness test rule. (in a 6 turn game it’s bound to lose at least some wounds)

Spartacus:

You're right about the overrun, completely slipped my mind.

khedyarl
I think you can only overrun if you charged, not if you were being charged.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

My Chaos Knights killed another one today. The K’daii managed to kill three of the six knights along the way. For those who understand it’s nature, I don’t see it as being that heinous. Maybe I’ve just been lucky…

Grimbold Blackhammer

khedyarl:

You're right about the overrun, completely slipped my mind.

khedyarl
I think you can only overrun if you charged, not if you were being charged.

Spartacus
Yeah, that's why I told him he was right about overrun.

Baggronor:

My Chaos Knights killed another one today. The K'daii managed to kill three of the six knights along the way. For those who understand it's nature, I don't see it as being that heinous. Maybe I've just been lucky...
My Destroyer went through 3 Mournfangs with Dragonhide Banner, 7 Ironguts, a Bruiser BSB and put 2 wounds on the Slaughtermaster before burning out. So... yeah... if it only killed 3 knights and then died, I'd say you've been lucky....
I'd take a Thirster over it. I mean the Thirster can fly and more importantly can be customised.
Personally, no way. BT is a lot more points, a Lord (hence can be challenged, which is BAD) and is easier to kill.

zhatan87:

"And do not say that it can loose close combat : I've never see any destroyer losing close combat... Sorry..."
I should have said "well played":). Of course, some units can win against it. The CD player should'nt charge against such units (and with movement 9, it can be done), and try to avoid such close combat:)
For example, chaos knights = bad for the destroyer:) (no stomp, and magic weapon...).
For those who understand it's nature
All is said. Opponents must know it to avoid combat, or even win or kill him. And CD player should not "overestimate" it.
As soon as the CD opponents will know how to deal it, the destroyer will become "just" awesome, but not broken.