[Archive] Clam's Garage (WIP Chaos Dwarf Grenadier)

Necro:

Very good sculpting work on those models. Congratulations! I really like all the models especially sorcerer and Death Rocket.

Xander:

Wowza! I must apologize!! I haven’t noticed the updates to this thread until now!

Incredible work Clam. :slight_smile: I really like all the Mask and Hat work you have done. I am not as fond of the Chaos Warrior helmet guys though.

Sweet Bull Centaur work! But… a mask or hat might suit him better. :smiley:

clam:

Wowza!  I must apologize!!  I haven't noticed the updates to this thread until now!

Incredible work Clam. :)  I really like all the Mask and Hat work you have done.  I am not as fond of the Chaos Warrior helmet guys though.

Sweet Bull Centaur work! But... a mask or hat might suit him better. :D 

Xander
Apology accepted :hat off - and thx!

I'm one of those 3rd ed. guys - so no doubt in my mind though. Helmet is the right equipment for a Chaos Dwarf - long live Lord Khazek :)

clam:

So finally, here comes the promised update - though it isn�?Tt a big one.

First �?" all the bad excuses:

“To sons and flue season:sick?” - You already used that one

“Heavy workload?” - Yes, used

“Lack of bits?” - Also used �?" and stock is now refilled

“Ahh! Holiday Season and IA3/Codex Orks?” - It�?Ts a good one, but used before and all read

“Lack of inspiration as CDO is down?” - Bad ‘bad excuse’. Use your on style, man! No Internet = More hobby time

“Flue season again?” - blah, blah

“CDO up again and heavy postings” - So you got inspired now, so get on with it!

Hey, this is a good one:

“Gathering these from eBay, and other sites?” �?" Ahh! - that�?Ts a good one

(And I really can�?Tt wait to get started on painting my recent acquisitions. Think I�?Tll have a second Blog about building this classic CD collection)

And finally:

“Lack of idea how to do my bases (thought you could help me out here �?” but no!)?" �?" So it�?Ts our fault then! :hat

Yes, so many bad excuses �?" but still only a few things accomplished. :frowning: :frowning:

But I�?Tll show you what�?Ts done

CORES

The first two core units are taking form now:

The Hand Weapon/shield Warriors:

Perhaps I should have saved the Standard Bearer for GV V �?" but �?� :smiley: - who knows - maybe I got another one up my sleeve.

And, The Blunderbuss unit 1

The new Blunderbusses are much inspired by the old 3rd ed. warriors �?" here are some close ups of the Mortar loader, Bazooka Gunner and loader (still WIPs).

SPECIALS

The Death Rocket and crew are ready for painting. The Slave still needs a bit of work though!

RARES

Nothing new here

ELITES

I want an elite Warrior Unit �?" a Sorcerer bodyguard with great looking weapons, so I have made a prototype of my elite guards devoted to Hashut and armed with a Mechanical Halberd device:

All credit for the Halberd (Great Weapon) must go to my absent friend “Snotling” �?" it’s totally stolen from his army �?" with his permission of course.

LORD and HEROES

I have re-sculpted the Despot to fit in with the overall look better.

Here he is:

And I have been playing with another 40K CSM-fig - again a borrowed idea

�?" this time all credit must go to Border Reiver and his Converted CD Sorcerer

That’s it!

Cheers Clam

Khan!:

Horray for no more excuses! To be fair, you’ve accomplished a lot more than I have in the past few months and I have no excuses at all :frowning: . This new stuff is all very cool, but I particularly like the bazooka team. Very 3rd ed., as you say. Now we just need some paint!

Hespithe:

Those are some excellent models, mate. Very inspiring.

Xander:

Wow! Well done on this! Those wheels are excellent, very Hellcannony! Love it. What’s the metal base used?

Grimstonefire:

Wow, this is coming along amazingly well!!!

I am genuinly impressed by everything, especially the Death Rocket.  Where are those grey plastic spiky bits from?  

Could we have a bigger photo of the back of the Despot?

I’m gussing you don’t have that many of the heads you’ve used for the personal guard?  Is it a mutation or a fancy helmet?  If its the latter you would get away with using beastmen heads mixed in (some variety), if its a mutation you might still get away with it (beastmen heads do work, I’ve tried it) but if you only have a couple of the type you’ve used they might stand out a little? I may have to ‘borrow’ that weapon idea for the Daemonhunters Dwarf army I’m planning.

Your blunderbuss unit is how I’m doing mine; a whole mixture of weapons.  I probably won’t use any crossbows, but I have got a mortar (a lot smaller than yours). I will also do 2 Rocketeers, but mainly as concept models for a later unit.

My only critisism is the use of BFSP dwarfs as opposed to the multi part ones.  It is only a small thing, but when the rest of your army looks this cool its a shame to have to work extra hard on the warriors to just get some variety.

AGPO:

The death rocket is the coolest one I’ve seen, how did you do it?

Uzkul Werit:

The variety in the Blunderbuss unit is wonderful. I love the chap with the crossbow.

Xander:

The variety in the Blunderbuss unit is wonderful. I love the chap with the crossbow.

Uzkul Werit
Crossbow avec Rocket. ;)

clam:

Thx! - for all the nice words.

Could we have a bigger photo of the back of the Despot?

Grimstonefire
Of cource - here we go:

About the Death Rocket:

As you can see it’s mostly plastic card and plastic strips in various sizes (and a very sharp knife :))- but the base for this model is the 40K Ork Lobba. The wheels are also from the Lobba. Then there is a chain from the Spiky Bits Sprue. The Skull is a Skelleton Shield Icon. On the upper front armour plate it’s Trophy Racks from the 40K SCM Terminator Lord and the two spikes on the platform are Armour Spikes from the new 40K SCMs.

It’s hard for me to describe exactly how it was done - and I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves:

The Personal Guard:

The head on the personal Guard is made from these 5ed Bretonnian Knight heads

I got 10 of them, and if I don’t find another 10 - I’ll give them a hood and a Beastmen head :stuck_out_tongue: - so, yes! GFS - I saw your Tauros Guard idea - that was the thing that got me started in the first place - so thx!

And as said all credit for the Halberd idea most go to “Snotling”.
My only critisism is the use of BFSP dwarfs as opposed to the multi part ones.  It is only a small thing, but when the rest of your army looks this cool its a shame to have to work extra hard on the warriors to just get some variety.

Grimstonefire
Weah! - know what you mean, but the BFSPs was the thing that got me started in the first place, so I will stick to them - and use them here and there - but I’m not buying another Box Set to fill up ranks;)

Cheers Clam

DARKTROOPER:

That Rocket is an amazing piece of scratch building…

Ghrask Dragh:

:o nice conversions!

The warrior standard bearer is the great, I like the inclusion of the only symbol we have! Death Rockets and elite guards are also very, very well done! Can’t wait for more!

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Whoa, where to start…

firstly, the cape on the back of the despot looks fantastic. I always have trouble with sculpting cloth, but this is great.

Then, the unit fillers in the blunder buss unit. A cool idea! :slight_smile: I always thought that a second unit of blunderbussers would be perfect for my army, but the converting of them is such a painfully slow process. A unit filler like that will easily help expand the ranks of deadly gunfire! ^^ And it sure is fun to convert.

Next, the banner of the warrior unit. A very cool way to include the Rune of Hashut, remarkable! And finally, the deathrocket. From the Katyusha construction to the rivets and the sculpted leverage mechanism, this is one nifty centrepiece for your army.

All in all, so much progress and dedication is more than worthy of a few slaves! Here you go. :slight_smile:

AGPO:

Now I just ned to find somewhere that sells plasticard tubes for the rockets…

clam:

Once again thanks for the all the nice words (and slaves) - and getting such ackowledgement from two of my greatest mentors (GFS and Ishkur) is so inspiring for my continued work. I’m honoured:hat off

As said I thought of saving the Standard Bearer for GH V, and all the nice comments, gives me second thoughts now :frowning: - but I’ll have to see if I couldn’t come up with a second idea :slight_smile:

@ AGPO - About buying plastic? - I can’t tell you where, but all my strips comes from Evergreen Scale Models - perhaps they can help you out.

Cheers Clam!

Kera foehunter:

thats so f- in cool i like the small cannons with the blunderbusses.the death rocket are super hard core

Willmark:

Wow that Death rocket is nothing short of awesomeness. WarplockMonkey might need to add a new part to his sig. “and Clam’s Death Rocket…” Its that good.

Lord Archaon:

Very cool conversions. My favorites are the elite warrior and the death rocket, but i think you should sharp the rockets though.The swivel gun and bazookas are also very cool done.

:hat off