[Archive] Golden Hat #12 - Chaos Dwarfs with Blunderbusses

Thommy H:

It’s both. It’s always been both. Why do we have to have this debate every single time? Just like Golden Demon, it’s a contest to produce the best miniature, with all that that entails. It’s just that I don’t believe we’ve ever had a situation in which one person did the converting and the other the painting. Although didn’t Xander and Vexxus win together once? With that Sorcerer?

Zanko:

Although didn't Xander and Vexxus win together once? With that Sorcerer?

Thommy H
Did they? I don't know - I'm not as long a member of CDO as you! ;)

But nonetheless my opinion is that only one participant should get a medal!

But that's only my minor opinion and I wouldn't want to make a big discussion on this topic - the staff will decide and good!

I just wanted to present my position! :D

:hashut

Thommy H:

I was thinking of Warplock Monkey’s entry for the Sorcerer contest actually - Xander and Vexxus did some art based on it afterwards.

Willmark:

Xander did the art himself. It was the cover for Issue #3 of the Word of Hashut for those not in the know.

Ellimist:

I was picking out my miniatures from the cupboard to put them up for sale as I haven’t played or done any work on them since late 2007. I just couldn’t do it though, and now there’s already have my old Hellcannon half painted on my desk :confused:

Might as well give this a go while I’m on the buzz I suppose.

Grimstonefire:

Oh, of course only 1 person can get a medal if the entry wins.  The person who submits the links.  If they want to ‘officially’ let it be known that someone else sculpted the model(s) they ended up painting I don’t think it should be a problem.

It would be no different to me paying someone to sculpt models I later painted.  It’s actually been an unsaid understanding between us that people would create what they entered, but I wouldn’t see it as a problem if people did a collaborative effort.  As long as the person entering it did at least half the work so they weren’t just stealing the glory.

The main point is that (as Thommy says) it’s the overall effect that is important.  If someone can do an awesome paint job on an unconverted model (from any company) it will no doubt do well.  Likewise if someone does an average paint job on an awesomely converted model it will probably do well.

Willmark:

I will be out for this one in lieu of allmy painting stuff packed up for a move that might not happen until next spring :frowning:

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Aw well… I have a fully painted unit of 15 of these guys, can’t think of any reason to make 5 more that look much different.

And entering 5 new models that are sculpted to fit with the existing models doesn’t sound all too original either. Another GH without me, then sob :frowning:

Willmark:

I was picking out my miniatures from the cupboard to put them up for sale as I haven't played or done any work on them since late 2007. I just couldn't do it though, and now there's already have my old Hellcannon half painted on my desk :/

Might as well give this a go while I'm on the buzz I suppose.

Ellimist
Glad to see you back on the site Ellimist!

Ronshank:

Well I don’t care if mine are a bit dodgy I will be entering (i’ll have to actually get painting this time) it will be up there for those of us new to the conversion thing to see how easy you can make them and how well they can turn out (I admitt mine will look pretty bad without their kick butt command)

Xander:

Vexxus’ entry that won bronze was this:

I didn’t help an ounce with this. The sorcerer ThommyH remembers can be found here:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/mordheim1.php

To my recollection, that wasn’t ever entered as a contest entry for anything. The entire warband was featured at Border Town Burning, though, to which both of us are credited.

Thommy H:

I was thinking of the Sorcerer Warplock Monkey made that was later turned into artwork by you, Xander. I obviously thought you had a hand in the original model, but remembered someone else also being involved, and then that you and Vexxus are collaborators, so that’s how I came to the conclusion that a model you and Vexxus had nothing to do with was (partially) your creation.

Xander:

Right right.

Hopefully what I posted helped clear up a bit of the confusion, anyhow.

I just really liked Warplock’s entry. It inspired me to paint a cover, which I had been intending to do.

Vexxus:

Collaborators!  Read: Brothers.

Sometimes I chuckle at the way you craftily word things ThommyH!

For everyone who wasn’t in the loop of this mangled complication, here is all you need too know:

1. Xander and Vexxus work together on models sometimes because Xander is superior at greenstuff, and thinks that Vexxus is better at painting (debatable).

2. Nothing worked on together has ever been entered into competition.

3. The Cover art sorcerer that Xander drew was inspired by a model created entirely by Warplock Monkey which WAS in a contest.

4. The Sorcerer co-created by Xander and Vexxus, and painted by Vexxus, was never submitted to competition, but WAS included in Border Town Burning’s feature pics of the Black Dwarfs Mordheim band (which incidentally also included a blunderbusser made by Xander painted by Vexxus).

5. ThommyH is sneaky!

And there you have it…

Thommy H:

I genuinelly had no idea you were brothers…

Xander:

…and a Bull Centaur and Warrior too (for the Warband). :stuck_out_tongue:

cornixt:

You know, for a while I used to get Vexxus and Sojourn mixed up - so I thought Vexxus was also a girl.

Nicodemus:

You know, for a while I used to get Vexxus and Sojourn mixed up - so I thought Vexxus was also a girl.

cornixt
Way to kill the conversation cornixt!  :mask   ;P

With regards to the rules, I'm seeking a clarification (or at least some input).
Subject Matter
Create 5 Chaos Dwarfs with Blunderbusses.  No command models are allowed.
OK, I understand both.  Can't get much clearer.

If, in the process of creating the models, one was to over-emphasize one model or some aspects of one model, but not intend that model to be a member of a command group, do we still run the risk of public perception interpreting or viewing that unit as a command model?

I think it's easy enough to not make a model that's bearing a standard DUH...  x.x  ... but what if someone were to look at it and say, "Hey, foul! That looks like a Champion." or "What the heck is he carrying? Musicians aren't allowed", even though the original intent wasn't to be making champions or musicians... or what ever.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on this?  Is anyone really going to care or get their shirt in a twist?  Just for the record - I for one will get my shirt in a twist when I look at all of the other amazing entries and then want to snap my paint brushes and hang up my artisan/creative hat.

~N

Pyro Stick:

Ive slipped a disk in my spine so im not going to be able to paint for a while. Hopefully ill recover before the deadline as i had made good progress before i screwed my back up.

Nicodemus:

Ive slipped a disk in my spine so im not going to be able to paint for a while. Hopefully ill recover before the deadline as i had made good progress before i screwed my back up.

Pyro Stick
I see my plans for eliminating the competition are going along exactly as planned :)

Sorry to hear about your back... is there an interesting story attached, such as uber-hardcore conversions and painting which led to your predicament?  :o

~N